General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on using a hybrid bike for first triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-07 1:28 PM

Subject: Advice on using a hybrid bike for first triathlon
I rcently bought a canondale bad boy 700 ($1200) and have since decided to enter my first triathlon. I'd prefer not to go out and buy another bike so soon but would appreciate feedback from some of you experts on how I might modify my cannondale to put me in the best possible position to clock a decent time.  I have roaf tyres and clip in pedals but is there anything else I can do? On the other hand if using the cannondale is going ot make things a heap more difficult do let me know and I'll consider buying a tri / road bike.

All feedback appreciated.

2010-04-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2774484

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Advice on using a hybrid bike for first triathlon

The road tires are the biggest thing, so that's good.   I have seen hybrid bikes with clip-on aerobars.  You could try that... For a modest investment, it's worth a shot.

It will make the race more difficult for you, compared to those with road or tri bikes.    But if you're okay with that, I can say you'll definitely not be the only one on a hybrid (or cruiser, mtn bike, etc).

2010-04-07 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

There is a lot of variation in hybrids. Some, like mine, have bigger tires that are treaded sort of like my car. Others, like your's, have narrow, slick, high pressure road tires. So I would think your's would do okay in a race. It'd be more uncomfortable leaning down to have less drag, so you'd either deal with the wind resistance or deal with an uncomfortable position. For a sprint either would work. I used to hold my handle bar in the middle and lean over somewhat.

2010-04-07 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

You will be fine with your hybrid. Don't sweat it.

2010-04-07 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Smile.  Thank the volunteers.  Enjoy the race. 

2010-04-07 1:51 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC
There is no problem using a hybrid for a Tri.  I did my first 2 sprints using one and it works fine.  This will allow you time to see if the addiction is really there or its just a passing fad.

As one poster said, the one upgrade that might be worthwhile is switching to narrower tires.  My hybrid had 37mm tires and I switched to 25mm tires for the second sprint.  The reduction is rolling resistance is about 10-20% (my guess).  It was worthwhile.  BTW: you can get away with cheap tires.  Go to your LBS and see if they have any that were "pull offs" as some new bike purchaser may have upgraded to wider, more comfy tires.

I would pass on the tri-bars - net necessary for a hybrid bike.

After my second sprint, I bought a used road bike with 105 groupo.  That's all you need.  Don't get caught up in the glitz of having to have the best equipment.  You can easily spend you kids college fund if you really wanted to.

Focus on the engine first, not the bike.  Get fit, have fun, enjoy the race.  You won't be alone on a hybrid - I wasn't.

Cheers.

2010-04-07 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

You'll see plenty of hybrids at most tri's, especially sprints.  My wife did her first two tri's on her hybrid.  She did have clipless pedals and slick tires, same as you.  Also had some handlebar extenders put on at some point to help with climbing.  Otherwise there's not much else you really can swap out that isn't going to be more road bike geometry specific.  Enjoy the ride!

2010-04-07 2:12 PM

User image

You'll be fine.  If you train hard on that hybrid, I would not be surprised if you pass some people on road/tri bikes. 

Tri bikes don't have little electric engines that hybrids don't have.  All the power is still supplied by the rider. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on using a hybrid bike for first triathlon Rss Feed