General Discussion Triathlon Talk » length of aeobar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-07 12:40 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: length of aeobar
i've been looking on ebay to buy a wing/aerobar set, and wondering if there is much difference between a 100mm and 110mm length. Any suggestions?

2004-04-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: #17010

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: length of aeobar
A couple of months ago I considered getting rid of my drops and going with a wing set up. I ran into the same thing 100 v. 110 and a handfull of other issues. In the end I went for clip on's and kept my road drops. The main reason for this decision came down to bike geometry and how it was explained to me. Tri bikes have less of a stem post angle (77 degrees out of horizontal, 13 degrees out of vertical), while road bikes more of a stem post angle (73-74 out of horz, 16-17 out of vert). The tri bike "pushes you more forward over the handle bars because of the "steeper angle". The people I spoke with (at a local tri shop), strongly recomended against putting the wing setup on my road bike. Instead they convinced my on the much cheaper option of clip on's ($100). Now you may ask what I asked, "How does that sove my geometry issue?" The reply came back that clip ons sit on top of your bars which cause them to sit higher, plus they do not protrude as far foward as the wings. These two factors combined counter act the fact that your road bike seat is "pushed back" by the stem post angle. If you are still concerned about the length, Profile Designs makes an aerobar with adjustable length called the "Areolite". Hope this helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » length of aeobar Rss Feed