General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 20-30 pounds to lose... any training plans? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-08 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: 20-30 pounds to lose... any training plans?
OK, that's it, I've had it.  I've always been "bigger," but for years it was because I was playing soccer competitively and just had a muscular body. 

Fast forward to graduating from college, getting married, and going to law school where things are a LOT more stagnant...

Now all that muscle has turned to fat and I just feel awful about myself.  My progress has always been slow when I try to lose weight, so I get discouraged quickly.  I was losing weight this semester for a while, then law school stuff got hectic, and I gained it back because there wasn't as much time to work out or to cook.

All in all, since I got married and graduated college, I've gained about 15-20 pounds, but a couple sizes because it's fat, not muscle.

With the summer coming up, I'll still be working, but I won't be in school so I should have much more free time to work out, not to mention I just bought a bike that I can train on without hurting myself like my last bike did.  (Summer starts May 3rd for me! woot!)

I'm in two weddings this summer, and I'm buying my dresses in a size 8 (I'm a 12 now), and I'm determined to fit in them (the weddings are August 14th and September 4th).

Ultimately, I NEED HELP!  I need support, a plan, and motivation.  I don't want to be a bigger girl anymore, I want to be a "normal" size for someone who's 5'5!

Any thoughts or plans?

Thanks everybody!

2010-04-09 4:03 AM
in reply to: #2778480

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: 20-30 pounds to lose... any training plans?
Congrats on your athletic and life accomplishments, and now focusing on your health ...

I have a teeny bit of street cred here because I've lost 120 lbs (by no means a record for this site, but not shabby either), a significant part of it through tri training.

For support and motivation, and help with a plan, you might want to consider joining one of the open mentor groups. They are a beautiful way to stay accountable, supported, and assisted!

The Tri'ing for Weightloss forum here on BT is excellent too.

I would pick a goal race, sign up for it, then pick an appropriate plan here, more on the volume-heavy side. Closer to 20 lbs smartly, safely, and "for good" is more realistic in time for the weddings than 30 lbs.

The nutrition is really important to focus on--it's a lot easier to cut a couple hundred calories than burn it off. Do the basic, commonsense stuff--LEAN proteins, lots of veggies and fruit, cut down on the saturated fats and sweets. And eat real, whole food--not simple carbs or processed stuff. Eat slowly and to the point of satiety only.

Some people would recommend weight training for weight loss--it is true that building your muscle means it will burn more calories at rest.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 20-30 pounds to lose... any training plans? Rss Feed