General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration pack vs fuel belt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-09 6:51 PM

User image

Subject: Hydration pack vs fuel belt
I'm looking to buy something to carry my water and gels on longer runs.  I'm trying to decide between a camelbak (or something similar) or a fuel belt like this: http://www.rei.com/product/750372. What are the advantages or disadvantages for each?  This season I'm going for half iron man distance, and I could see myself going for a full marathon next season or full iron man in a few seasons.

2010-04-09 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2781324

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Hydration pack vs fuel belt
For actual racing, you really won't need a hydration system at all unless you have a specific fluid you need.  Otherwise, race day "should" be well supported (always read prior year race reports).

However, for training a hydration system is recommended, unless you are running in a park with frequent fountains.  I actually have the fuel belt, the hand bottle holder, and a camelback.

Fuel Belt-Goes around the waist and if it fits correctly this is no problem. Usually comes with a small area to carry a gel or 2 and maybe your keys/phone.  Disadvantage is they are small, so if you are going for a long run having 4 x 6 oz of fluid isn't that much. 

Hand Bottle-This is a bottle holder with a strap that you hold in your hand.  It is easy to refill (the fastest) and usually just large enough to hold your keys and a gel.  Being something in your hand it is also convenient to dump water on your head on hot days.  I use this when I run near a park and can refill.  Downside is its in your hands, you get used to it, but it is still something you need to hold.

Camelback-Large reservoir, I consider this a must for the long runs I do which are generally on trails with no access to water.  I have one that carry's 80oz and probably fill it to 60oz or so.  Has larger area  for gel/bars/phone, etc.  Goes on your back.  When fit properly this is no issue, but if you don't get the right one it may have lots of "sloshing" (mine does not).  Some people do no like the weight but this is a trade off for being able to carry more. Harder to refill.
2010-04-09 10:58 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
I use a handheld bottle that comes with a hand strap so you don't have to clench the bottle for several hours.  It definitely gives my arms a workout.
2010-04-13 12:45 AM

I haven't ever used a hydration belt, but I run longer distances with a camelpac - i think it holds about 2 litres. It is a bit heavy, but I would rather carry extra then run out.  I was on a long run  a few weeks ago and ran out of water in the blistering sun - luckly there was a store close and I ran in (well, kinda hobbled) and bought some bottled water. Had to walk home from there cause I was so dehydrated.
2010-04-13 6:20 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I like Camelbaks for my long training workouts.

I hate hand held bottles because they can make your stride uneven when you carry a heavy object in one hand.

And I personally despise having something tight around my waist.  I am a girl and fuel belts won't stay down on my hips where I want them to stay  They either ride up or fall down.

So, I wear a camelbak for the long stuff.  I hardly even notice it's there, but I definitely feel "free" when I'm racing since I don't carry it then.  It's kind of nice to feel lighter in races after training with it on so much.
2010-04-13 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
i use the nathan speed belts which hold 10 oz of gell/fluid versus fuelbelt holding 8 oz. I typically dilute my gel in each flask

2010-04-13 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I've had real good results with my little setup by using a Camelbak fanny pack style with a aprox 40 oz bladder, pockets for keys, phone, gels.  And I added the Amphipod SnapFlask 10.5 oz. Module 2-Pack to the belt so I could carry along my Infinit or whatever your hydration drink of choice is. 

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-A888.html

2010-04-13 9:27 AM

User image

Taylorsville, KY
I'm thinking about camel back for this summer.  I sweat too much to not have water with me on long summer runs. 

I tried a Nathan bottle holder last year and hated it.  It's a belt that holds a bicycle style water bottle at small of your back.  The water sloshing, and the bouncing drove me crazy.

2010-04-13 10:55 AM

User image

Thanks for the advice.  I ended up getting a camelbak rogue from REI (yay for dividends and 20% off).  I haven't had a chance to go on a long run with it yet, but once I do I will post a review. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration pack vs fuel belt Rss Feed