Northridge Hospital Foundation
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 34m 31s
Overall Rank = 37/452
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

"Game time decision" whether to race (and whether to race the 5K--where I was 2nd in AG and 17th O/A last year--or the scheduled 10K) after riding 7+ hours on the previous day. Felt good when I got up, so decided the longer distance would be a good tempo run workout for IM St. George.

This race is in a big park/recreation area only 1/2 mile from our apartment, so my wife and I walked to the start (which was more like 1.8 miles away, in the middle of the park). Liz ran the 8K race last year when I ran the 5K, but she was having some PF and ITB issues, so she decided not to run this time.

Got there and heard them announce that the 10K was now back to the usual 8K for "safety reasons." Whatever. Decided to stick with the longer race...the 5K in 2009 was my PR and I figured I wouldn't repeat that performance coming off the long ride and didn't want to feel disappointed.

Hadn't run an actual 8K before and no 5-miler since 2006 (and before that, all the way back to 1976...my first road race ever, back in HS).
Event warmup:

Stretched, walked around the expo, ran some strides. Didn't do as much running as I might have done, since we'd walked almost two miles and my knees were still tired from 17 mile run in the hills last weekend.
Run
  • 34m 31s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was sub-35. Haven't done much speed work over the winter due to a series of injuries, but had a decent interval session a week-and-a-half ago that indicated I could probably do around 7:00 mile pace. Lined up at the front and was cruising along with the leaders for a couple hundred meters...5:30/pace...zoiks! Gradually settled down to around 6:50 and hit the first mile at 6:40.

Rest of the race was about trying to stay close enough to 7:00/mi pace not to burn the :20 reserve I built in mile one. Per my Garmin 205, I was generally holding between 6:48 and 7:25. Bit of a headwind in mile two, but that meant that most of mile three would have a following wind...that ended up helping shave some time off that mile and the first part of mile 4.

The first place woman passed me at about 3.5 miles. I decided I'd try to hang with her as best I could. Worked pretty well...never lost contact and was closing on her near the end when she put on a Roadrunner/Coyote burst the last 200 meters and dropped me.

Last mile was mostly about picking off anyone I could and holding off anyone who looked around my age. Finished in 34:33 per Garmin...6:59/mile pace. Cool.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...other than maybe not do a 113 mile bike ride the day before.
Post race
Warm down:

Definitely left pretty much everything on the course. Liz was at the finish...freezing in the very unseasonable temps. Walked around and re-hydrated and ate a banana. Told her she ought to walk on home and warm up while I hung around for the results (figured I was probably in the mix for an AG medal, since I looked to be in the top 30 or so overall). Stretched while I waited.

...And waited. And waited. Finally, they announced from the stage that the results weren't going to be available to be posted and would be online later. Medals would be mailed. Oh, well. Ran 1.75 miles home (at cautious, IM-run, pace).

Much as I suspected, online results had me 3rd in AG, 37th overall (and 4 seconds behind the women's winner...I was the last guy she "chicked".)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was pleased with this, actually. I'm exactly one month from my 50th birthday and haven't PRed a distance in awhile. Been feeling uncertain if that's from slowing down with age or the impact of a number of injuries over the past 9 months. Healthier than I've been in months right now, but I really wasn't sure I'd recovered enough speed with all the emphasis on going long keyed to IM St George. Getting a sub-7:00 result--and a podium finish--after the epic bike ride was really reassuring.

Event comments:

Lots of disorganization this year...very different from last year (which was my first time doing this local, but fairly large, race). New timing company, who clearly didn't have their act together. Last second change from 10K to 8K (and change of 5K from announced new course back to last year's course) wasn't handled well. This is for a worthy charity, though, and the course was flat, flat, flat (wouldn't have been if they'd run the new 5K/10K as announced).

Last updated: 2010-04-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:31 | 04.97 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 37/452
Performance: Good
Splits: 6:40 - 7:02 - 7:10 - 7:16 - 6:25 0.96 mi. (6:47/mi)
Course: Flat course on paved and hardpack dirt paths around Lake Balboa recreation area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No