General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello! I am new and (hopefully) improved! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-07 2:10 PM

north carolina
Subject: Hello! I am new and (hopefully) improved!
hello everyone! i erroneously posted on "triathlon talk" prior to posting on "introduce yourself" so i wanted to rectify the situation and follow the instructions.

in addition to being a 31 year-old pediatric nurse practitioner (my real job), i am a runner (one marathon and many mid and sprint distance races) and a swimmer (swam competitively in college) but not much of a cyclist at all - not yet anyway. i was training for triathlons 2 years ago but suffered a knee injury and had to stop. i'm all healed up now and ready to roll!! although i have been running about 6 days per week, i have not been in the pool or on a bike in quite some time and look forward to starting once again

i have registered for a fall 1/2 IM and a few sprint tri's this summer. i am very excited to train and compete! i am getting butterflies sitting here thinking about it!! anyway, i think this site is incredible in terms of the friendly, helpful people and the great information. i also posted a question in the "triathlon talk" section under the heading "hello" if anyone would like to try their hand at answering it (it is probably an easy question to answer).

Thank you to all!!

2004-04-07 2:24 PM
in reply to: #17056

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Hello! I am new and (hopefully) improved!

Welcome to the board!  Lots of good info here - you'll get answers to your questions.  They may not be right, but you'll get answers (hahaha)!

Good luck with your training.

TB

2004-04-07 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Welcome, Mary!

I'm up for a 1/2 IM in August as well. Excited and nervous. The swimming and running background will be a great asset to you, and I know that you'll enjoy your foray into biking!

Dana
2004-04-07 2:49 PM
in reply to: #17067

north carolina
thanks for the welcome!

yes, the biking will be very interesting and challenging for me considering i have had a really great bike for 2 years and have yet to ride it - you see, i know nothing about the pedals/shoes that i need (or even if i need special bike shoes for that matter). a few friends have told me that i probably need "clips" and shoes but i am not really sure what clips are, i don't know all of the bike lingo.
see, i am totally ignorant when it comes to the biking! i have a mountain bike but that's different.

i think i am just going to bring my bike to the shop and ask them to prepare it for me to ride. i am also thinking about taking a basic maintenance bike class ($10) at the local bike shop. my only anxiety in doing triathlons lies in the biking - i am most afraid of getting a flat during a long training ride or during a race and not being able to fix it but i think they cover "tire changing/repair" in the bike maintenance class!

mary
2004-04-07 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Definitely take the bike maintenance class. It's kinda empowering to be able to figure out how to do the simple things! And it will definitely help in the bike-anxiety department. But in general, my experience is that fellow bikers are super helpful when you have a disaster on the road. Of course during the race, you don't want to depend on that--everyone's got their own thing going on.

I have now had to deal with 3 flats, so I'm feeling very experienced these days!!

Dana
2004-04-07 2:59 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome Happy Mary! I am a NP too (family practice). Good to have you here!

The bike certainly causes a lot of anxiety (for me too!). I think it is because it is so technical. Too many parts. I just got clipless pedals - the shoe hooks in. There are also toe clips that you put you shoe into, like a cage of sorts. Anyway, I've fallen off my bike countless times now since I was still connected to the darn pedals. I'm hoping to get over my fear of it and soon!

Keep us posted on your trials and tribulations of the bike!

2004-04-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: #17080

north carolina
hello fellow NP!

yes, i think that's what someone told me i needed - clipless pedals. having my feet snapped onto the pedals of my bike seems a bit dangerous if you ask me, but "when in rome..." - i guess i will just have to practice riding my bike on my (non-busy) street so i don't fall over into traffic while i'm still learning the whole clip thing. never was a big fan of skiing either. i guess it just doesn't seem natural for me to have my body parts actually attached to objects that are supposed to propell my body at high speeds - something about the physics of it all - i.e. "objects in motion tend to stay in motion"

okay, back to work for me! this posting stuff can be very addicting!

mary
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello! I am new and (hopefully) improved! Rss Feed