General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Remember your first 1/2 marathon run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-12 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Remember your first 1/2 marathon run?
Did you walk?  Any?

I'm thinking I'd like to work up to this.......and time isn't really an issue.  I just wanna do it.

Was your goal to complete it, without stopping (even at aid/water stations)?  Did you plan to walk a "little"? 

Forgive my barrage of Q's.

2010-04-12 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2787120

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Remember your first 1/2 marathon run?
I remember my first 1/2M - it was 3 years ago on a cold and drizzly May morining in Ottawa.
My main goal was to finish and my dream was to run sub 2hrs. I acomplished both but it was a lot harder than I though. Because it was cold and wet I did not dring enough and got terrible calf cramps at the last 4km.  I walked quite a bit - following the 10min run, 1 min walk pattern.

Good luck with your race and have fun.

2010-04-12 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
yes. I nearly died. I finished in 2:47ish. I think it was the hardest run of my life. O my goodness. I wore the wrong shoes and my socks were all bloody. :'(
2010-04-12 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2787127

Veteran
Eugene
I remember mine, it was last november right before Thanksgiving.

It was called "The run to stay warm", and you totally had to! It was a very cold run.  My goal had been to run a sub 2 hour but deep down I knew I could do much better, as I had prepared very well. I had a buddy who was a little too competative that really pushed me the first three miles, I was running faster than I had planned.  I think I paced about a 7:45 mile till that point.  He started walking and I kept going, I let adrenaline get the best of me and pretty much kept that pace for the entire run.  I walked a few steps at 4 aid stations, but really only to not spill the drink.  I should have taken a walk break or two, so that I'd be more fresh at the end, I tried to pick up the pace after mile ten, but it totally wasnt happening.  When I crossed the finish line I was very very relieved because that was absolutely as far and as fast as I could run!

I finished with a 1:43:07, 7:53 per mile pace.  My buddy ran a 2:03:something.

Good luck!
-Max
2010-04-12 10:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
I just did my first half-mary in March.  First goal was to finish, with second goal of running 10m/mile pace.  I ended up getting both, but the end was tough (walk/run/walk/run ).  I definitely learn a lesson on nutrition (pre-race) and hydrating (during the race ).

I will more than likely run one this fall with the goal of sub-2 hrs.
2010-04-12 11:00 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Yep, my first was last year and I planned to walk for 30-45 seconds through each water station since drinking from a cup while running is basically impossible. 

Second half was this year and I walked 15-30 seconds though the mile 4 and mile 8 water stop.  A couple weeks out, train like you will race and mimick it during the race.  All the way down to breakfast and outfit.  You will be much more calm.

2010-04-12 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

I have never walked in a race.  I would only expect to walk if I was injured.  When I sign up for a race at a specific distance my goal is to race it, otherwise I'd just go for a training run.  I've run 5Ks to marathon distance, sprints to HIM.  Now if I ever do an ultra marathon or a IM maybe walking becomes part of my race strategy but not yet.  I know there are many who favor the run/walk strategy and that's great, just not for me.  If you need/want to walk part of it, go for it.  The important thing is participating and finishing if at all possible, whatever it takes.    

2010-04-12 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Mine was in 2003, but I still remember it... and what I thought during it very clearly.  I had been a running in high school, but I hadn't "run" in 4 years, but I had been playing rugby (but that's more like sprinting intervals) for the last 4 years, but during the off-season from rugby I'd be drinking... and I was a pack a day smoker for the last 3 years.  I signed up for it 3 months early and forgot about it. ... yeah, this story starts off good right?!

The week before I remember about it, but figure it's too late to train or anything... so much for the "nothing new on race day" considering the actual act of running was the "new" thing.  I had never run more than an 8k and that was only once 6 years before.  All my racing from 4+ years ago were 5k's.

I smoke a cigarette on the way to the race... smart huh?
I start running... no idea what pace to go, so I just tried to stay "somewhere near the middle".  Turned out that this race wasn't that big and you get spread out a lot.  So I'm running alone within a mile.
At the 3 mile mark I think. "WTF was I thinking?! I only know how to run 5ks... I should be finished now, but now I have to go another 10? WTF?!"  I had probably gone out too fast, but who knows.  I had no goal time, I had no idea what to pace, all I knew was I used to run 18minute 5ks... so I should probably not attempt to go that pace, so I went slower, but no where near slow enough apparently.  By mile 8 I'm not even thinking anymore, I'm just doing everything I can to continue to "run".  I didn't ever walk, but at some points people might have been able to walk next to me while I "ran".

Nutrition was a foreign concept to me... after all... if you only know 5ks and run them in 18minutes you don't need nutrition or even water during a race.  I had seen aid stations before in some of the non-high school races I had done years ago, but I never used them.  So why start now?

I didn't do another half marathon until 2009 during my first half ironman.  I guess I traumatized myself.
2010-04-12 11:31 PM
in reply to: #2787157

User image

Master
St. Louis
zionvier - 2010-04-12 11:16 PM Mine was in 2003, but I still remember it... and what I thought during it very clearly.  I had been a running in high school, but I hadn't "run" in 4 years, but I had been playing rugby (but that's more like sprinting intervals) for the last 4 years, but during the off-season from rugby I'd be drinking... and I was a pack a day smoker for the last 3 years.  I signed up for it 3 months early and forgot about it. ... yeah, this story starts off good right?!

The week before I remember about it, but figure it's too late to train or anything... so much for the "nothing new on race day" considering the actual act of running was the "new" thing.  I had never run more than an 8k and that was only once 6 years before.  All my racing from 4+ years ago were 5k's.

I smoke a cigarette on the way to the race... smart huh?
I start running... no idea what pace to go, so I just tried to stay "somewhere near the middle".  Turned out that this race wasn't that big and you get spread out a lot.  So I'm running alone within a mile.
At the 3 mile mark I think. "WTF was I thinking?! I only know how to run 5ks... I should be finished now, but now I have to go another 10? WTF?!"  I had probably gone out too fast, but who knows.  I had no goal time, I had no idea what to pace, all I knew was I used to run 18minute 5ks... so I should probably not attempt to go that pace, so I went slower, but no where near slow enough apparently.  By mile 8 I'm not even thinking anymore, I'm just doing everything I can to continue to "run".  I didn't ever walk, but at some points people might have been able to walk next to me while I "ran".

Nutrition was a foreign concept to me... after all... if you only know 5ks and run them in 18minutes you don't need nutrition or even water during a race.  I had seen aid stations before in some of the non-high school races I had done years ago, but I never used them.  So why start now?

I didn't do another half marathon until 2009 during my first half ironman.  I guess I traumatized myself.

Great story.  So how was your time compared to your goal?

2010-04-13 12:18 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Didn't do a half marathon until after I'd already completed my first marathon...I was 47 at the time.  Ran the whole thing, nonstop, in 1:42.  Between having done the marathon and also a fairly tough 20K trail race previously (also without any walking), I definitely went into the half mary pretty confident and with a plan that worked out just fine.

Now...the first marathon?  That's a different story (and probably more to the point of the OP's questions).  Planned to run the whole thing, but had no clue how undertrained I was, despite a couple years of running up to 45 miles/week.  Somehow got to mile 22 without walking after basically hitting the wall at mile 11, but couldn't run any farther and walked two of the last 4.2 miles.  Absolute torture.  Taught me never to take a race for granted again.
2010-04-13 12:23 AM

HI. I haven't run a half yet, but i am signed up for one this weekend!  I am pretty anxious about it.  I did a training run/jog of the course last weekend and felt fine after - i guess my pace was too slow...?  During the training I did a little walking - when I was trying to get the gel pack out of my hydration bag! I am not planning on walking - finishing not last is on my plan. Fingers crossed for Sunday!

2010-04-13 12:33 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I did not walk at all in my first half marathon. My goal was to run it as fast as I could. I knew I could run the whole distance without walking, so that's what I did. I think my time was 1:58ish?

Since then, in the other half marathons I've done I've walked a few paces at some of the aid stations just to make sure I get a good drink of water and don't trip in all the traffic. (The same thing is true for both marathons I've done.) I've only ever walked a significant amount twice in a race: once in a very hot, very hilly race, toward the end when I hit the last giant hill (I was mad at myself for walking in that race); and once in a trail run with a half-mile hill that, literally, every single runner was walking up (I was totally fine walking in that race).

I think walking during a race is just fine, no matter your level of experience or how fast you are (lots of really fast people walk a little bit at the aid stations). But I also think it's a great goal to run the entire distance. Go for it, and good luck!
2010-04-13 12:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Ran my first one about 4 years ago.  Went in with the goal of sub 2 hours with no walking as well.

Remember feeling really good, which was confirmed when I went through the 10km marker in a PB at the time.  Felt really good until the 18km marker when my legs gave out, walked around 5 minutes and then got going again to the finish, think I came in around 2.03 or thereabouts, just outside my goal time.  Learnt alot about pacing myself and not trying to run with those around me that day.

Still remember the idiot volunteer at the finish line that responded to me when I enquired where the promised medals were "We're all out, you'll have to learn to run faster next time".  Kept that one as motivation for a while after.
2010-04-13 1:26 AM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
My first I set a time goal of less than 1:50. Pretty flat course. Wasn't sure how I would handle it because the farthest I ever ran at one time during training was only 9 miles. Race day I finished at 1:49:57! Just finished another one this weekend which had some brutal hills. Once again I never ran more than 9 miles in one session. I set a goal of 1:40 which I though was gonna be a dream when I started hitting those hills. Finished 1:41:55 and was stunned! WOW! Talk about some motivation going into my training for an upcoming HIM.

Both races I slowed down for the aid stations enough to gulp down some drinks and keep going. Easier to do than running and drinking.

Have fun with it and give yourself a time goal. Then when you do your next one you set it for less and so on.
2010-04-13 1:41 AM

User image

Did mine this past November...but I had already done a 25k and 30k before it.  I walked through each aid station for about 10 seconds and finished pretty strong in just under 1:56 with a negative split.  I didn't taper for it...as the marathon the following month was the "A" race for me.
2010-04-13 1:50 AM

User image

Expert
Have not done a 1/2Mary, but I did my first 25k last May and then Full Mary last October.  I remember the 25k.  Cold and rainy.  I had a goal of about 8:20/mile and through 13 miles had an 8:00 pace going and then the wheels came off.  I ended up at an 8:11 pace.  This year I hope to break 2 hours.

Go for the 13.1!  Check out the Galloway Marathon book.  He advocates a run/walk approach.  I think I will use it for my 2nd Mary this fall.  Then last one hurt way to much at mile 20.

2010-04-13 1:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI

I ran my first (and only so far) last December in Vegas. I only trained for about 2 months and set a goal to finish and run the whole race (not including walking aid stations because I cannot run and drink out of a cup). My secret goal was to finish in under 2 hrs.  I managed to accomplish this with a total of 1:58:05!  It was a lot of fun and this year I will be doing another half and my first full in November.

I didn't 'plan' to walk but once again, found that I had to through the aid stations....I'm sure if I carried my own hydration I could've considered running the entire time but I'm not going to podium so what is a few seconds walking through the aid stations?

2010-04-13 6:09 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Did my first and so far only half last year.  Mostly did it to work on my running which is the weak link in my triathlon performance.

I used the Galloway first-timers run/walk plan, starting about 20 weeks before.  Three runs per week, two of 30-40 minutes and one long run, building up to a long run of 14 miles a few weeks before. 

I focused on staying on my pace and was actually able to do a negative split, including a brief stop in the medical tent on the way back.

Mark 

2010-04-13 6:13 AM

User image

Veteran

did mine around 4 years ago....agreed to do it while drinking red wine and eating turkey! (doh!)

I ran 10 & 1's the whole way and finished in 2:28....smiling and feeling great!

2010-04-13 6:19 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I usually walk the aid stations when I need a drink - I still haven't mastered the art of drinking from a cup while running - and since I know I'm NEVER going to be in contention for a podium spot in a running event, especially a half-marathon (which are often pretty "big" events) I'm not too worried about the few seconds I might loose taking a drink....

2010-04-13 6:22 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
I just finished my first last weekend.  I didn't walk, though I probably should have through the aid stations.  It was only my second run longer than 5K's (one 10K), so I usually don't take a drink at all.  I ended up soaking myself with gatorade and water and getting about two drops in my mouth.  Running and drinking is a skill I have yet to master.  I had a goal of finishing without walking at around an 8:30 pace with a stretch goal of 8 mm.  I felt good early, though I had overhydrated and really had to pee.  After working through congestion on the first mile (8:40), I attempted to make up time, running sub 8's for the next several miles.  Ran out of gas about the 10-11 mile point, but finished at 1:39:54.  Learned a ton about what to do differently next time.  I finished elated with the time, but most glad that my family was there at the finish.

Good luck!

2010-04-13 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Yep, like others I smoked on my way to the start (great idea, huh?). My longest run to date was an 8 miler the Wednesday before the Saturday race. I went out and ran in cruise control the entire race, and did more cheering for the aid stations than anything really. I would run by and give all the little kids high fives, cheer on the bands, and such. Still managed a 1:43:XX and placed something like 73 out of 1,000, so I was happy with it.
2010-04-13 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
Did my first 1/2 marathon in 2:13, didn't take any breaks except to quickly drink.

Did my second with planned walk breaks and did it in 2:05.  Walk breaks can be beneficial.

That being said, my 1/2 PR is without walk breaks.
2010-04-13 6:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Newburgh, Indiana
Did my 1st half last this weekend with my son.  It's a pretty cool story - here's the race report

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=203155
2010-04-13 7:00 AM

User image

Taylorsville, KY
I raced my 1st HM last May.  Finished with a 1:59.  I walked the water stops.  Went out too fast and was spent at mile 10.  Did a run walk for miles 10-12. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Remember your first 1/2 marathon run? Rss Feed  

of 2