OptionResults
Yes have surgery19 Votes - [45.24%]
No don't have surgery3 Votes - [7.14%]
Use crutches for another month and see what happens16 Votes - [38.1%]
Give up triathlons entirely0 Votes - [0%]
You are crazy for taking advice from people you barely know1 Votes - [2.38%]
Get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th (professional) opinion first1 Votes - [2.38%]
Rest until it is properly healed1 Votes - [2.38%]
Do whatever other excersizes\workouts you can until the injured area heals1 Votes - [2.38%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2005-06-25 3:32 PM
in reply to: #183259

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: RE: Surgery or not

It sounds like surgery would be the best option.  When I injuried my rotator cuff in 1998, I did the whole PT thing.  I was making very little progress.  I couldn't even use a 1 pound weight for the external rotation exercise.  I was using a wrenvh that weighed about 1/4 of a pound.  I couldn't get past the yellow thera-band.  My PT said to me, "You're an athlete, and you should be beyond this level.  Have your orthapedist get an MRI, and see what's realling going on."

To make a long story short, the MRI showed some damage.  My orthopedist left the decision up to me, but he asked me to think about whether I could live with the limitations or not.  Knowing that I wanted to continue being a triathlete I opted for the surgery.  It was simply an impingement, and all he had to do was scrape the acronium down some to take the stress off the rotator cuff.  I went back to PT, and breezed through the exercises.  The shoulder was as good as new.

I'd like to say I was racing again in 1999, but 5 months later I crashed on my bike, fracturing the collar bone on the other shoulder!  That didn't heal, and I ended out having another surgery on the other shoulder.  2 surgeries in less then 12 months!  My doctor was able to afford his very nice bike tour through Utah. :-)

I came back from all that, and placed twice in my age group my first season back.  I don't regret the decisions I made.  It was worth it to be able to swim and bike, again without worrying about "What if?"

2005-06-25 3:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
pin the fucker.

2005-06-25 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I am finding it interesting that the previously injured are leaning towards sx...and those with medical knowledge...
2005-06-25 3:42 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I added the crazy option. Seriously Sue, listen to your doctor and those who are familiar with your situation.

Mike
2005-06-25 4:29 PM

Ok, I will reveal my bias.
At age seven I was told that I would need major surgery on my shoulder sometime before age 20 or face major problems. I, at age seven, thought that all of these people were nuts because I liked my shoulder just the way it was, so what if it was dislocated a lot of the time.

When I had it reevaluated in my teens (mom and dad wanted it handled before I went away to college-same docs), I was told that the issue seemed to have pretty much resolved itself (!!!), which made me really glad that I had protested forcefully before. The docs, two very respected orthopedists, were even pretty amazed. I was prescribed just a tiny bit of PT for the minor issues I was having, and had no other issues for years (more glad that I protested at age seven).

About a year ago I had enough of an issue that I sucked up, decided the first doctors might have had a point at the get go, and had it evaluated. I was told that chances were good that I would be fine with giving it time and PT, which proved to be true (ironic that just when I was ready to face surgery, the doc said 'no'). I went back to a PT I had used extensively the year before for another injury. When I first started swimming a lot again, I was a little concerned, but the shoulder feels great.

I can't tell you how many times I have thought that surgery might have caused more problems than it solved...Following my gut at age seven paid off...That being said, a pin it the hip sounds much less complicated...Follow your gut
2005-06-26 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
OK 238 hits but only 29 people have voted...you all aren;t helping....just kidding....today I am having a good hip day which doesn't help either......Hope everyone is having a good weekend -SMO

2005-06-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: #183494

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
1st tri - 2005-06-25 2:04 PMNow, I realize that this is a little beside the point, but if you get a pin you will end up having to be wanded and have the entire hip area patted down every time you fly. I know this because I briefly worked in airport secruity while the local economy was in the toilet. Many passengers even said, 'but my doctor told me this card would be proof so that I wouldn't have to go through this,' but, unfortunately, that is not the way airport security works.

Actually, not necessarily. My son has a titanium plate and 12 stainless steel screws in his leg (just above the ankle) - hit by a car riding his bike in Sept. 2002. We flew to NY at Xmas that year. We took copies of the x-ray, note from the Dr. He NEVER tripped the )(*%$ thing. Both my husband and I tripped it (our magnetic personalities, I guess). Our son did not. We all cracked up and freaked the security people out.

Now, back to topic.

Sue - First, I wouldn't take any advice from this bunch. We're probably not the most rational. That side. Have the surgery. You need to do something different. If you can't do complete rest, then do the other...
2005-06-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: #183529

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
sue7013 - 2005-06-25 1:37 PM

I am finding it interesting that the previously injured are leaning towards sx...and those with medical knowledge...

I had a previous knee surgery. The recovery was a real biotch, and there was some nerve damage, too (or something funky to where if I touch it on the left side, I actually feel it on the right...weird, huh?), which is why I lean against surgery unless it's the last resort. In my case it really was, due to being unable to walk without pain and quite a bit of swelling. But I waited a LONG time before making that decision. I had been having pretty bad knee pain for about 4 years, and tried everything under the sun to fix it non-surgically (from PT to orthotics, to a complete end to my running). In the end, the result of the surgery was pretty good. They cleaned it all out and took out the things that were getting stuck and what not. The knee is never going to be 100% but I can walk without pain and I'm about a million times more active now because of that. Years of hardcore ballet and then a lot of running really screwed up some stuff in there...some bad falls, etc. I still say you should wait on the surgery until the absolute last resort. I know I'm not a doctor, but, well, that's my not-so-humble, ortho-patient opinion.
2005-06-26 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Ok So far dr friend opinions have been

Do what ever doesn't hurt

Use crutches

Use crutches but not at work

Pin it if you can't use crutches

And then there is Rob (rheros) pin the f***er

Today I am having a real good hip day.....or my pain meds are working really well (its just tylenol)

2005-06-26 8:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-26 8:52 PM

Master
I agee with the REALLY REST crowd. It sounds like you are always pushing yourself right up until the point of pain. Many of us have injured ourselves worse by not quitting right away when something happens, but continuing on until that's impossible. Do the crutches, forget about appearances, pride, etc. and give the thing a chance to heal.

If a month of that doesn't work, then PIN THE FUCKER!

2005-06-27 12:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I say go for it. Stable fractures are better than unstable ones, IMHO. But keep in mind that I am  a surgeon. james
2005-06-28 7:36 PM

New user

Count me in the give it another month group. Though, that said, I've got 5 plates and about 18 screws in my head from jaw surgery. Makes a really cool x-ray but, it also adds some interesting pain with sinus pressure. Steel has less flex than bone. Has anyone ever complained about joint sensitivity long after the pin is in place?
2005-07-03 6:45 PM

Expert
Montreal
Hi Sue,

I voted for the surgery believing that you have talked to a board certified orthopedic surgeon who has worked on competative athletes in the past. If not - get a second opinion. On the upside you can tell your relatives that you have a bionic leg :D
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surgery or not Rss Feed  

of 2