General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-17 5:30 PM

User image

Stanton
Subject: Olympic Training Plan
Can some one point me in a direction for Olympic Distance Training plans?  I have looked at the ones on this site and they are advertised for "back of the packers".  I have been there, but am now looking to compete at a faster pace.  Thanks for the help

2010-04-17 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2798621

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Olympic Training Plan
Would you be interested in an intermediate plan?  I'm new myself so don't know too much about various training plans, but see that there's this available:

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp
2010-04-17 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
If you pay for a BT membership you get access to several other plans, including everything from a basic winter maintenance to full iron distance plans.  The plans can be RPE or HR based; they can be basic or advanced; they can be 12, 16, 20, 24 week plans and they include strength training as well as workout specifics.  When you compare the price of a 6 month BT membership to the purchase price of full and details 20 week plan, you'll save money and get more 'bang' for your buck right here on BT!  You'll have access to more articles about training here and site support here that you wont get from some place if you buy a plan.

If you start using the BT site to log your workouts (and you're a data geek like me) you can compare everything you do your plan, there are more graphs than you can shake a stick at and you can even move your planned workout days to fit a crazy schedule.  You can opt to have your daily workout emailed to you every morning.  There are some pretty sweet things coming along soon as well, check the forums to peer into the eyes of the site builders - give your ideas and input/advice as well.

I've been with BT for a few years now and I've yet to see anything anywhere that realistically compares to this site.  I say - try it for 6 months (this race season). ** I just looked and see that you've been here since 2008 - look at some of the New plans and see if they fit into what you want!
2010-04-17 8:56 PM

User image

Stanton
Thanks.  I was wondering about upgrading on BT.  I have been very happy with the site so far.  I guess it is time to upgrade membership status. 
2010-04-17 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
You won't regret it - and check to see about your computer or gps unit, many gps units are compatible now too, so you can directly upload a workout with all of the HR and splits data.
2010-04-22 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
I will second that, would suggest to go with at least Silver level, you will then see more relevant detail for every workout.
I did both strength training and a winter maintenance plan (with focus on good running form) over the off-season, and I attribute my approx 1min per mile faster pace to those 

2010-04-22 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I second or third what others have said, I upgraded to at least Silver, and I used one of the Olympic plans and thought it was a quite good, solid plan.  Not to mention I had this thing about supporting such a great site -- that all this stuff is offered free is truly amazing.  The logging feature alone will have you hooked.
2010-04-22 12:38 PM

User image

Stanton
Thanks, I will go at least silver and it looks like i am going with the 16 week plan.  I am hoping I can tweak and adjust some things for races I have already signed up for.  My only concern are that these plans are advertised as back of the pack type plans, but I guess any training plan will be better than what I have been doing. 

How about this question?  Which is better mileage or time plans?  I see there are both available. 
2010-04-22 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Haslett
I wondered about this too. Mine mixes it up with distance for swimming and biking, and time for running.
2010-04-23 12:18 AM
in reply to: #2810349

I'am not sure which is better time or distance.  I just upgraded to Silver and start the 20 wk HIM next Monday.  I also was torn between the bronze and silver plans.  Andrea mentioned the HIM plan she did last year seemed lacking a little.  I looked at both side and side and went with the silver.  It seems to me, a harder plan would give better results.

I know going into the first swims, that are 3100 yards/hour, I am not capable of.  However I will complete the distance and not worry so much about the time.  It should work out in the end. 

I can say that already, by unlocking the videos I am seeing, and feeling an improvement.  The stroke drills have inspired some changes in the pool.  I've have eliminated the pain at the base of my neck and shoulders from roatation problem.  I am now feeling my swim sessions more in my upper chest, tris and to some point my lats.  I've learned more from watching these videos, than the $20 I spent on the T.I DVD.

The other thing is the cost differance between the two levles, that's like 4 trips to Starbucks, easy choice for me.
2010-04-23 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2798886

User image

Regular
Traverse City, MI
JHagerman - 2010-04-17 9:38 PM If you pay for a BT membership you get access to several other plans, including everything from a basic winter maintenance to full iron distance plans.  The plans can be RPE or HR based; they can be basic or advanced; they can be 12, 16, 20, 24 week plans and they include strength training as well as workout specifics.  When you compare the price of a 6 month BT membership to the purchase price of full and details 20 week plan, you'll save money and get more 'bang' for your buck right here on BT!  You'll have access to more articles about training here and site support here that you wont get from some place if you buy a plan.

If you start using the BT site to log your workouts (and you're a data geek like me) you can compare everything you do your plan, there are more graphs than you can shake a stick at and you can even move your planned workout days to fit a crazy schedule.  You can opt to have your daily workout emailed to you every morning.  There are some pretty sweet things coming along soon as well, check the forums to peer into the eyes of the site builders - give your ideas and input/advice as well.

I've been with BT for a few years now and I've yet to see anything anywhere that realistically compares to this site.  I say - try it for 6 months (this race season). ** I just looked and see that you've been here since 2008 - look at some of the New plans and see if they fit into what you want!

+1

2010-04-23 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Not to stray away from the wonderful latter advice, but

This months Triathlete Magazine had nice 12 week Oly plan.

Because I enjoy more freedom and flexibility with my training regime, I infuse ideas from this plan, the Triathlete's Training Bible as well as my own preferences and knowledge.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Training Plan Rss Feed