General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First open water swims and panic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2798937

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: First open water swims and panic
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread- just got back from my first ows with a wetsuit on and freaked out. We swam out maaaaaybe 100 meters and when I couldn't touch bottom, I started to hyperventilate and feel crazy anxious- totally convinced that the lifeguard would have to rescue me. I got back to shore doing side stroke so I didn't have to put my face in the water. And I have a sprint tri tomorrow morning with an ows in 55-degree water.

When I told my mom about this, she said, "Well, you can just quit." Umm, thanks for the vote of confidence. Then I did a little search on here and read this thread, and it really helped. I like the idea of counting strokes or repeating a mantra to yourself or something like that. Otherwise, I know my mind will think up the most negative thoughts possible and will totally take over.

So anyway, thanks again and good luck to everyone- I'm right there with ya. Good to know it will gradually get easier.

2010-05-29 4:43 PM

Master
leerocks_1971 - 2010-04-17 9:07 PM Hi everyone, Pretty new to tri. I have done a few pool swims but this year i will be doing three open water tris. Two are sprints and one is an olympic. I had my second open water swim today (in full wet suit) and experienced what i think was a panic attack. although i am not sure because i have never had one. I had to swim to a dock and climb up just to catch my breath for a few minutes. I dont know quite what to think. has anyone experienced this before? Is it normal at first? I plan to go out again tomorrow and i am trying not to be anxious but im a little worried.

I can help you nearly completely solve this panic attack issue.

It's very easy - get into the water early. Give yourself at least 10 minutes to just "play" in the water. Make sure you get your head completely under, and take a few strokes, but stay in shallow water where you're comfortable. You'd be amazed at what 10 minutes in the water can do - time yourself, and you'd be surprised at how long it feels like you're out there. The more you can get your head underwater, the more adapted you'll be. Even do a few somersaults and flips just to show that you can reorient yourself.

I guarantee that if you now start your OWS, even if you get completely out of the water for a good 15 minutes in between, you will be much, much more comfortable. Especially on cold water or surf.

This simple little obvious move gives me a nearly 2 minute headstart against the speedsters when we do ocean swims around here. While they're taking it easy to warm themselves up, I'm good to go and very comfortable right from the get-go. It really makes a significant difference if you're not very comfortable in the water, or if the water is very cold.

I've done a good number of OWS now, and if I don't do this water adaptation move before I start swimming, I will also hyperventilate and have a panic attack. It's very scary. I nearly had one 2 weeks ago when I thought I'd just skip right to the swimming. Never going to do that again! 

Edited by agarose2000 2010-05-29 4:45 PM
2010-05-29 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2831811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
BaseLodge - 2010-05-02 8:21 PM
Thanks for reading my babble -- message me if you want to commiserate!  Mostly, know that there are people out there who feel the same.  TELL YOUR TRAINING BUDDIES -- it's great to not have to explain this stuff in the water while it's happening...

Dave

Dave, nice honest post. I can't share specific tips but I can say for many of us comfort in water comes from spending a lot of time in it. If you can spend oodles of time in shallow water at echo Lake or wherever, not even swimming perhaps, but throwing a football, lazing on your back, whatever, just enjoying yourself, until the water feels comfortable, perhaps that will help.

good luck, and keep hanging around.  BT is a good place for tips.

Blair
2010-06-07 4:07 PM

Dave, Thanks so much for your post.  When I first suffered panic attacks in open water, I had trouble calling them panic attacks because that seemed very weak.  A virtual novice at that time, I gave up swimming for 3 years and then a year and a half ago, decided it was time to learn.  The panic attacks still plague me, but are not at all predictable.  A friend of mine told me I'm thinking about the wrong things, which implies that they are controllable ~ again, I must be weak.  Reading more about the diving reflex was also helpful because I haven't yet swum in water warmer than 70 degrees.  Maybe this isn't something I can control, but I believe I have the determination to overcome it or live with it, and that's what your post helped me to see.

Best of luck to you!
Karen
2010-06-07 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Just like everyone else said, very common. My first experience was rather funny. Full wetsuit, 50 degree water, zero viz: I swam parallel to shore in about 4 feet of water, would take 5 or 6 strokes, stop, stand, look-around, repeat. My HR was through the roof the entire time. Now, there's nothing too it. I can swim pretty much any distance, sometimes 1/4 mile or more from shore, poor viz, jellyfish, no big deal.

Still scared by boats though...
2010-06-07 4:53 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Good input by everyone. One thing that really helped me was to do some confidence building swims. By that I mean the lake I swim in has buoys that mark the swim area--I guessed them to be 40-50 yards offshore. I just swam out to the buoys and back over and over. It's like being in a 50 yard pool, but better because you're getting real-life OWS experience. And you can practice sighting to a buoy--a skill you'll need.

2010-06-08 8:44 PM

New user

North Conway, NH
Hello again,everyone -- I promise no novels this time : )

But, an update.  I've done quite a bit more OWS since my post and have found that for me, cold water going into my ears is a MAJOR trigger for the dizziness, which then fuels the panic.  Interestingly, I found a link that explains that putting ice-water in the ear is used for inducing vertigo symptoms...

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch080/ch080c.html

In any case, good earplugs have helped with at least slowing the onset and keeping me from losing my mind while bobbing dizzily in the middle of a lake.

I've been able to consistently reproduce the dizziness (and subsequent panic) swimming only a few feet from shore against the current in a cold river without earplugs and without overexerting myself, contradicting my earlier suggestion that I needed to be out in the open water to trigger it.  This is compounded when wearing a cap and no earplugs, as the water seems to get stuck even more.

From a "moving past it" point of view, the river has given me a GREAT opportunity to hit the panic, realize I'm fine, and work through it, without being out mid-lake.

Good luck everyone and thank you for all the suggestions!

Dave

2012-08-09 2:55 PM

New user

I see that this is 2 years old-but my panic feeling came on as I was reading this!  I panic every race and have decided that I am done with tri's-unfortuantely I am signed up for IMKY in two weeks. I have dedicated nearly three years to the tri scene, but am becoming disillusioned but them. I have the complete ability to do the distance-but that horrible feeling when I put my face in the water.....  I am a very strong biker and runner, but I am so exhausted mentally and physically from the stress of the swim.  So what I am getting at-after 2 more years of dealing with this, what else have you learned?  Any more tips?  I find this so frustrating because it is a mental issue, not lack of physical ability.  I do LOVE to swim-but not in race situations. 
2012-08-09 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4355698

Alix - 2012-08-09 2:55 PM I see that this is 2 years old-but my panic feeling came on as I was reading this!  I panic every race and have decided that I am done with tri's-unfortuantely I am signed up for IMKY in two weeks. I have dedicated nearly three years to the tri scene, but am becoming disillusioned but them. I have the complete ability to do the distance-but that horrible feeling when I put my face in the water.....  I am a very strong biker and runner, but I am so exhausted mentally and physically from the stress of the swim.  So what I am getting at-after 2 more years of dealing with this, what else have you learned?  Any more tips?  I find this so frustrating because it is a mental issue, not lack of physical ability.  I do LOVE to swim-but not in race situations. 

I can totally understand. I'm in a similar place. After months of swimming 4-5x a week in a local lake, I'm an okay swimmer, and I don;t fear the water. Regardless of my training, my heart rate still skyrockets in race situations and makes the swim - which I'm really prepared for  - very tough. 

2012-08-09 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Not uncommon to feel discomfort and anxiety, but a full blown panic attack? I have to just calm down- and is this the first swims wiht a wetsuit? Should practice with wetsuit somewhere safe first if this is first wetsuit wearing swim. It can feel constricting, but takes getting used to- supposed to be tight. Just get comfortable, gain confidence and you'll be fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First open water swims and panic Rss Feed  

of 2