Youngstown, Ohio
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 22s
Overall Rank = 93/96
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Did a lot better on the pre-race. I went to the meeting, where they went over the course. Thank God they did that or I would have been screwed. When they said the bike course was going to be hilly and challenging, they WERE NOT kidding. Also, I anticipated the food situation and was prepared that way. Since my swimming wave was starting last, I watched how others did the transition, and I learned some things there.
Swim
  • 08m 34s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall I felt that this swim went really well. I was happy about my performance and thought I was fast.
What would you do differently?:

I would register on time so I didn't have to wait until the last wave AGAIN.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

I took my time, and dried off my feet and ate my snack and had my water. I tried to be calm more so than my tri in September of 2004. I did a lot better this time. I had my towel ready, which I forgot last time. I had my area all neatly laid out and felt like I was in good shape.

I think I was TOO calm during the transition. I would probably not mosey along so much. But overall, it was MUCH improved.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 5s
  • 14 miles
  • 12.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I was scared so I rode my Mary Poppins bike instead of my racing bike. I am glad I did for where I was at mentally, but next time, I think I will try the racing bike and see if that helps. Also, this is the first race where I used my headset. I know it isn't allowed but it really takes my mind off the race, listening to music. I am definitely glad I had it today.

Ride my racing bike. Train for hills during the winter. Find a practice course here that is hilly so that I can at least try and approximate this horrible horrible bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Because I didn't ride my racing bike, I didn't need to change shoes so I was fast here.
Run
  • 33m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile

I think I did good here.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike.

Event comments:

This was the first time they had this race, so I am sure next year will be better. I kind of felt like an outsider in some ways because everyone seemed to know each other. This was compounded by being abandoned during the bike and having my race time not being posted with everyone else. I was the last finisher so that is why. Overall I was not totally thrilled with this race. I want to do it one more time to improve but unless the bike part is a whole lot more monitored then I probably won't do it a third time.

Last updated: 2005-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:34 | 400 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 0/96
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR and shorts
Course: In a pool, so I was happy.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:32
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:05 | 14 miles | 12.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/5
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: This course was really hard. The hills were long, the hills were steep, the hills were long and steep. I took my time on the non hill parts because I just didn't want to be too dead to run. I was the last participant and some of the volunteers were gone, some weren't paying attention. The course wasn't that well marked. There was a lot of traffic and the roads were kind of rough. This was a trial by fire for me. I thought it was going to be a nice warm up for the Wendy's but this bike kicked my butt.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:23 | 03.1 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Course: Nice flat course. I have never been so glad to get off a freaking bike in my life and run. The run was a lot better manned than the bike and I seemed to do fine.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No