General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling lousy after reducing volume? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-20 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida
Subject: Feeling lousy after reducing volume?
Last week I had a sprint tri, so the week before I reduced my normal volume by about half. I usually go around 80-100 bike, 20-22 run and 5K swim. After a week of easy training I flat out felt crappy. Both calves felt crampy/tired, IT band hurt, pain in between my shoulder blades when I turn my head, kind of stiff and sore all over.
After the race, I took a day off and this week I went back to my normal routine and I feel fine again. All those pains have just melted away. What gives? I thought you were supposed to feel good after resting, not like you are 90 years old.

2010-04-20 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2805295

User image

New York
Subject: RE: Feeling lousy after reducing volume?
You're just experiencing a classic case of tapering. Just do a search on "taper", and you'll see that a lot of people get crazy symptoms when they cut back on their training. Some people just get restless while waiting to race, and others actually get strange phantom pains in their bodies, like the feeling that they are getting shin splints or something. It's normal. It's just your body naturally going through the recovery phase. You may have even needed more of a taper if you didn't feel fully rested before your race. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling lousy after reducing volume? Rss Feed