General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello From So. Cal. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-21 5:49 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Subject: Hello From So. Cal.
Hello Everyone!  I am a newbie from Southern California.  My husband and I will be in our first Tri later this year.  I'm beginning this journey because I want to be fit.  I've got some weight to lose and some obstacles to overcome, but I'm sure I'll find a way!

I grew up with my parents telling me "you can't do that...you can't compete in sports because you're too short...you're too fat".Frown  I'm here because I want to show my kids that anything is possible.  I believe that there is nothing you can't do.  You may not be good at it, but with practice and patience, everybody can achieve a goal.  My goals for this year are to lose about 30 lbs and compete in my first SuperSprint Triathlon in October.

2010-04-21 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2808521

User image

Subject: RE: Hello From So. Cal.
Welcome! What race are you planning on doing?
2010-04-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2808528

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
ChrisM - 2010-04-21 5:53 PM Welcome! What race are you planning on doing?

Thanks!  I'm planning on doing the SuperSprint in San Diego.
2010-04-21 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
What a great attitude! You rock!

If you haven't discovered it yet, a trick I came across was the magic of swimming. Since I started last Dec, I dropped 30 lbs. The pool burns calories like crazy, and it tightens your abdomen. I'm hungry after a bike ride, but happy with a salad after a swim.

You're going to be a great example!
2010-04-21 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2808696

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Pacific John - 2010-04-21 7:37 PM What a great attitude! You rock!

If you haven't discovered it yet, a trick I came across was the magic of swimming. Since I started last Dec, I dropped 30 lbs. The pool burns calories like crazy, and it tightens your abdomen. I'm hungry after a bike ride, but happy with a salad after a swim.

You're going to be a great example!

Thanks!  Swim is where I am weakest.  I learned to swim while in college.  My swim is the ugliest thing too.  It's sad really.  My 5 yr olds swim better than me. Laughing  Unlike you, I get hungry after I leave the pool.  After a bike ride, I'm great with a salad, and after a swim, I'd love to chow down on some steak and potatoes.
2010-04-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2808762

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Maybe we could trade somehow

2010-04-22 1:40 AM

User image

Portland, OR
Just like to say Welcome! and that I also love the thought process and the example you are setting for your kids!  Sending you all the encouragment I can muster! I am just getting started too, and am loving it.
2010-04-22 1:46 AM

User image

yorba linda
Welcome to the site from a fellow So. Cal'r  

2010-04-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2809102

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
etadeja - 2010-04-22 1:46 AM Welcome to the site from a fellow So. Cal'r  

Hiya from the I.E.!
2010-04-22 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2809099

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
swimtrainer - 2010-04-22 1:40 AM Just like to say Welcome! and that I also love the thought process and the example you are setting for your kids!  Sending you all the encouragment I can muster! I am just getting started too, and am loving it.

Thank you!  I'm gonna need it.
2010-04-22 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Welcome!   Also love your attitude.    Same reason I started running a few years ago which lead me to triathlon.   

Wish more people would think the way you do!      You cannot simply TELL your kids to be active and lead a healthy lifestyle.  It ends up being a do as I say not as I do. Which does not work.

I agree with you! showing them by example is powerful stuff.    I intentionally did not tell my 2 girls  that they need to run etc.   I wanted them to see me do it and want to for themselves.   Eventually that worked!  Now they are very interested and active.  

You are also doing this for yourselves as well.  Terrific!    I think your goals/plans are perfectly reasonable.  

Be sure to let us know how your training/progress is going!

Dave

2010-04-22 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2810829

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
oriolepwr - 2010-04-22 3:30 PM Welcome!   Also love your attitude.    Same reason I started running a few years ago which lead me to triathlon.   

Wish more people would think the way you do!      You cannot simply TELL your kids to be active and lead a healthy lifestyle.  It ends up being a do as I say not as I do. Which does not work.

I agree with you! showing them by example is powerful stuff.    I intentionally did not tell my 2 girls  that they need to run etc.   I wanted them to see me do it and want to for themselves.   Eventually that worked!  Now they are very interested and active.  

You are also doing this for yourselves as well.  Terrific!    I think your goals/plans are perfectly reasonable.  

Be sure to let us know how your training/progress is going!

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I gave myself plenty of time and no room for excuses.  The gym we go to has many classes and a few people that are doing tri's themselves (including one Ironman).  I'll be sure to let you guys know how I'm doing.
2010-04-22 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Welcome!  I agree about showing the kids.  My son (11 when I started training for a tri) loved riding his bike or scooter with me when I went on a run.  Both of my kids get pleasure out of pushing me out the door when I am reluctant to workout.  The go to all my races and see me push through exhaustion and overcome nerves.  It is such a great example. 

My advice is to use the logs on this website.  There is such a feeling of accomplishment when you log on and see the training hours on the bar chart or the calendar days peach colored for all the days you worked out.  Sometimes just getting to write on my log is what gets me to complete a workout.  Also, when you post a question on a forum people can look at your log and get an idea of your fitness level so they give you a more accurate answer to your questions.

Good luck to you!!!
2010-04-22 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2811142

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
akrenik - 2010-04-22 6:19 PM Welcome!  I agree about showing the kids.  My son (11 when I started training for a tri) loved riding his bike or scooter with me when I went on a run.  Both of my kids get pleasure out of pushing me out the door when I am reluctant to workout.  The go to all my races and see me push through exhaustion and overcome nerves.  It is such a great example. 

My advice is to use the logs on this website.  There is such a feeling of accomplishment when you log on and see the training hours on the bar chart or the calendar days peach colored for all the days you worked out.  Sometimes just getting to write on my log is what gets me to complete a workout.  Also, when you post a question on a forum people can look at your log and get an idea of your fitness level so they give you a more accurate answer to your questions.

Good luck to you!!!

Advice taken!  I just filled out my log for today.   Thanks from out in the I.E.!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello From So. Cal. Rss Feed