General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weekly training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-22 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Subject: weekly training question
Now that NOLA 70.3 has passed, my weekly training schedule will be changed. I have IMFLA in November and I was curious if my choice of exercise per day is “adequate”.

I am trying to keep 3 runs (one interval, one tempo and one long run), 3 bikes (one interval, one tempo and one long ride) and 2 swims (one 2k-3k yard pool swim with drills and one open water swim of 1-2 miles) for a total of 8 workouts a week.

My schedule all but eliminates AM workouts because of having a 5 month old and daycare schedule eliminates some late evening training on some days during the week.

What my proposed schedule is:
Monday: pool swim (2k – 3k yards)
Tuesday: interval run
Wednesday: open water swim followed by tempo run
Thursday: Interval bike ride
Friday: tempo bike ride
Saturday: long bike/long brick
Sunday: long run

My stretching, foam rolling and core work will be at home after these workouts. My weight training will be done on days with inclement weather and days off will come when the wife cannot get the daughter from daycare.

Without getting into complete detail of why I want to do what each day, my main question is does it hurt me to do 3 bike workouts on 3 consecutive days? I would guess, ideally, it would be better to spread them out, but would biking 3 straight days have any negatives?

2010-04-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2810208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Subject: RE: weekly training question
I'd say that right off the bat my first concern would be putting a long bike/brick and a long run on back to back days.  Are you doing that right now?  Is it working for you?  I only ask because I've tried to do a long run on cooked legs from a long bike ride and it hurts bad.  Then again I'm not doing iron-distance at the moment, so maybe my perception is skewed.

I wouldn't worry about doing 3 bikes in a row, like you said, ideally spreading it out would probably be better but you have to do what works for you.  I have a buddy that rides 3 days on/2 off to train for enduro mtb stuff and he does just fine.
2010-04-22 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2810228

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
I've been doing my long runs the day after my long rides/long bricks for quite some time.  Yes, my legs are usually tired, but I feel it preprares me for the feeling of running on tired legs for 70.3's and up.

I do think it's working.  This year I took 8 minutes off my 1/2 marathon PR, 11 minutes off my full marathon PR, 25 minutes off my 70.3 PR (with 8 of those minutes coming on the run).

The schedule will definitely incoprorate more rest because of days I am forced to miss, but I wanted to schedule something 7 days a week so if I had the opportunity, I knew what to do.

Edited by LSUfan4444 2010-04-22 1:03 PM
2010-04-22 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2810208

User image

Regular
St. John's Newfoundland
I also noticed that not only are you doing 3 rides back to back, you are doing 2 high intensity runs back to back. It might be good to split these.

Also, I read one time that running on Sunday with tired legs really doesn't benefit you much. In fact, it may hamper your run if you are changing your form.

If you can swing 2 to 3 hours in the evening, you could switch the long run for mid week, and put a swim in on Sunday, with a high intensity run.

Of course it's all subjective. In most cases you are restricted by schedule.

Best of luck in Panama City Beach
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weekly training question Rss Feed