General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone else experience this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-26 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Subject: Does anyone else experience this?
In both triathlons I've done, I have experience stomach muscle cramps on the bike. I'm not talking about an upset stomach, but actual side stitches. This also carries over to my run, making it hard to take a breath, which really slows me down. The exact location is right below the ribs. The muscles are sore the next day.

It appears to happen only after swimming and then hopping on the bike. I did not have this problem when doing a duathlon (run, bike, run) or when I go out on rides only.

Any ideas what this is caused from?

Thanks,
Randy

2005-06-26 9:25 PM
in reply to: #183986

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Does anyone else experience this?
Happened to me today....same thing, it never occurs in training. I was thinking I might be drinking too much water and not enough electrolytes...but what do I know
2005-06-26 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Been doing many swim/bike bricks?

Side stitches *can* be an issue with core strength. A lot of your bike position is supported by the core. So is a lot of your swim motion. If you haven't been working on your core, and it's tired from swimming at race pace, it may begin to "stitch" during the bike because it's being stressed additionally...

Or, it could be something entirely different...
2005-06-26 10:30 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I'd try working in some swim/bike bricks to see if this issue happens in training.  If it does, well then you can try different stuff and figure out what's going on.

If it DOESN'T occur in training, I'd say it's the fact that you're expending more effort than you normally do on the swim, and maybe you need to slow down a bit so that you can come into the bike without already being stressed.  I know it's always harder for me to settle into a good biking speed in a race, vs. during training.

2005-06-29 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Are you taking in food and/or beverage during T1? If you eat or drink during T1 it could cause stiches during the bike. Wait to eat or drink until you have been on the bike for 5 min. or so.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone else experience this? Rss Feed