General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do people worry about us ...? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-08 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: Why do people worry about us ...?
Are you hearing what I'm hearing? Has anyone said, "You're too thin, you should put a few pounds on." This is not vanity folks, and I am not passing judgment. I am sincerely intrigued by people - many overweight - commenting on my WEIGHT. I'm not a big guy; I'm 5'7 in big shoes, and in the last year I've gone from around 155 to 145. People seem not only "astonished" at my loss of 10 whole pounds, but often worried. I'm a loser of FAT, not a loser of WEIGHT. To me, loss of weight would be dangerous, the implication being I have no control over it, as from illness. But loss of fat, becoming lean? Personally, put me down for another 5 pounds going into race season. Thanks all.

2004-04-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: #17234

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Why do people worry about us ...?
I get that too, but I've gone from 222 to about 115-118. Sometimes I just want to say, "Now remind me again why this is YOUR business?" I know they mean well, but bite me! I am happy with how I look.

I think for a formerly fat chick (such as myself) it's hard for people to redefine who you are. (Hey, it was even hard for ME to get used to a small me.) They knew me for years at the fat girl, and now suddenly if I've made a serious lifestyle change and managed to keep it off (darn me) they have no excuse.

I just smile and say "Thanks, I know what I'm doing" and head off.
2004-04-08 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Oh my God, Tory, congratulations to you!!! It's easy to see why people would really have a hard time adjusting to your healthy change. You look great!! Must stop now before I say something stupid ...
2004-04-08 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I almost think people have gotten used to everyone being overweight, so that when they see someone who is in shape, height/weight appropriate, all that, it doesn't look right. Of course, coming back with "I'm fine, why are you so fat?" probably won't make friends and influence people (positively, anyway).
2004-04-08 12:24 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Since I've begun to run, I decided that I want to lose a few more pounds of fat so I have less to lug around and place stress on my joints. At 5' 7", around 138 - 140, and with around 25% - 26% body fat, I'm not anyone's definition of skinny (though certainly not fat either). So, I started the South Beach diet (slightly modified to include a few more carbs). My boss noticed the book on my desk and you'd think the title was "How to Become an Anorexic in 12 Easy Steps" for the way he reacted. It's nice that people think I look fine right now, but losing 5 - 10 pounds of fat won't turn me into Kate Moss!

BTW, my Hubby is 5' 8" and when I met him weighed around 135. He's now around 150 thanks to learning how to eat properly. I can't imagine that you look THAT skinny at 5' 7" - 145! Maybe it's the fat loss rather than the generic weight loss that's making such a dramatic difference. If you'd lost weight but maintained the same fat percentage, the loss wouldn't be so dramatic. I lost about 10 pounds in the last two years, but probably lost much more in fat and gained some muscle. People thought I had lost much more weight than I did.

Anyway, as another poster mentioned, I think people's perceptins of "normal" are very skewed now due to the obesity all around us. Just ignore the naysayers. Or better yet, ask them to go on a jog with you!
2004-04-08 12:42 PM

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA
Hehehe! I wish I had that problem to worry about! Being thought of as too skinny!

But, I HAVE run into sort of the same thing (we probably all have) You make a serious life style change and it challenges other people about their lifestyle. They realize that they could lose a few lbs, exercise, etc. so rather than rise to the challege they lash out at you because of their guilt.

When you have lost weight, people always seem to feel entitled to the information of how you lost your weight (and then why that diet is bad for you - as if the 20 extra lbs of fat was GREAT FOR YOU! ), how much more you want to lose etc. Then they feel free to comment! I just think it is out of guilt over what they AREN't doing for their health! I have a relative that is contstantly trying to mess up my efforts to make healthy food choices. When I do want to "cheat" and have some birthday cake or something, I do! But, I don't feel like it that often. I feel SO much better without all the junk, but you would think I was slapping her in the face, when I pass on dessert. Although, skinner people are able to pass on dessert without a second glance...hmmmm!

2004-04-08 12:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

My wife has commented twice in the last three days that 'I look skinny' and 'How skinny do you want to be?' and the worst one of all ' Do you want to be a little guy'.  Ok I am not little but I am a lot 'skinnier' than I was last summer weighing in at 205 and 6' tall.  Now that is also my high school graduation weight and most of my college career weight but since then it was somehow turned from muscle to flab.  I am down to 180 today and the fat is going, going and almost gone.  But I agree, it isn't a number I am looking for, I don't care really what I weigh.  I am looking to get rid of the flab and get toned, buffed, ripped, whatever you want to call it.  I tell her the weight will come back once I can start lifting and I won't be a little guy anymore.  But right now lifting is taking somewhat of a back seat so I can concentrate on swimming w/o drowning during lunch, which was my lifting time. 

I also agree that it is societies perceptions of what people look like.  50 years ago (maybe even more recent but a little lattitude here) a heavy person was looked at funny.  Today it is excepted and the 'skinny' person is looked at funny.  I live in a city that was voted ' fattest city in America' two years ago.  Finding a Tri club here?  I don't think so.  Finding a Tri here? not a chance.  They do have a lot of running sprouting up with 5k races and just two years ago a 10k race so hopefully the fitness bug is setting foot.  I was working out at Gold's gym, very nice equipment, rooming, clean, professional place........closed in Jan this year. 

I guess that is a lot of babble but to anwer the question asked originally..........Maybe they are intimidated by someone doing something that they deep down know they should be doing and that is living a healthier lifestyle.

2004-04-08 2:10 PM

Champion
That's why I like hanging out at the health club a lot. My wife and I are there every day. You surround yourself with other people who are fit and everyone is so upbeat and positive, there's none of that negativism around. I heard that same story a lot at work, now that I'm down to 175 from 240..."you don't look good, are you sick?" I just ignore it. I've dropped a ton of body fat, am way fitter than either of my sons (ages 22 and 27) and I'm in better shape than I've been in the last 35 years, despite having raced bicycles for 12 of those.

Just hang out here...we'll motivate you and offset the backhanded remarks from those who don't understand how good it feels when you keep fitness first in your life.

Max
2004-04-08 2:16 PM
in reply to: #17322

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
My point exactly. We're the normal ones. It's the couch potatoes who have a problem!
2004-04-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: #17254

Champion
CLLinIA - 2004-04-08 11:02 AMOf course, coming back with "I'm fine, why are you so fat?" probably won't make friends and influence people (positively, anyway).

LOL...I'm adopting that as my new saying for the insensitive clods that ask next time...thanks a bunch for the laugh for the day!

Max
2004-04-08 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Speaking as a former couch potato, *they* are the ones we should worry about.

2004-04-08 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Heh, even before I started training for tri's, I had people tell me "you're getting too skinny".

I'm 6' and pretty solidly built. I'm just losing all the fat and converting it to muscle. A year ago I was about 235. I'm now about 195, and my body fat percent has dropped considerably. My weight has kinda plateued at 195, but my jeans are still getting looser, so I'm still working away.

I'm definitely happy with the results so far, and they get better everyday. I keep my 'before' picture on the fridge ( I live alone, so it doesn't scare anyone else :P ). I look at that now, and it's hard to believe that it's me in the picture.

I've got muscle definition, pecs, abs, and no more love handles now. It's a big lifestyle change for me, involved changing a lot of my eating habits ( no more soda, no more fast food ), exercising regularly. Oh, and I quit smoking about the same time I started working out seriously ( about a year ago ).

The real rewards come every morning, when I wake up feeling great, breathing easy, and full of energy for the day.

A year ago, I would have laughed at the thought of me doing a tri. A few months ago I thought maybe an Olympic distance might be beyond reach. A month ago I thought an IM would never be possible for me. Now, I don't think there is anything beyond reach.

People worry because they ask themselves "Why?", instead of "Why not?".

-Chris
2004-04-08 2:49 PM

New user
When I stopped eating land animals (just because- no real one reason) you would think I was committing suicide. It got all over work and people felt the need to discuss this decision. It normally followed these steps:
"OMG! I heard you stopped eating meat! Why would you do that?" (total drama and pure shock)
"Well you know you need some meat to be healthy"
-then last but not least-
"Oh yeah, and I am cutting back on my [slip in any fast food] (this is to make themselves feel better)
I would not even have to say a word through out this whole one-sided conversation. I even had a woman tell me I was going to hurt myself by not getting a MEAT FIBER!!! Now mind you, I am dont preach about what people should eat or not eat- I find it no of my business. I just wish other people would mind their own business/waistline/blood pressure/choseltrol level.....

I have found over the years that when you change, especially for the better, you become a mirror reflecting back what they have failed at. Not that you do it on purpose, it is about their self-esteem issues.
2004-04-08 3:59 PM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
I too have experienced the same comments lately.
As of today, I am checking in at 132# at 5'10" and feel great!
I love when someone says "You look TOO skinny". I respond with "Compared to what?". Most of the time they (mostly females) say "Compared to me!". I usually don't have to say much after that..... they get it that it is now THEIR problem.

My other favorite is "Well, I don't have time to exercise". Really? I have 24 hrs in a day - how many do you have?
2004-04-08 8:12 PM
in reply to: #17376

SoCal
Dear Lord, I cannot wait until I have that "problem". I'm down about 40lbs from my heaviest with about another 60 to go so I have a feeling it's going to be awhile.
2004-04-08 9:41 PM
in reply to: #17331

User image

Extreme Veteran
GamblerZ - 2004-04-08 2:20 PM

Speaking as a former couch potato, *they* are the ones we should worry about.

AMEN! I'm a former couch potato too and let me tell you, I wouldn't go back to rooting on the couch for anything. No way!

2004-04-08 9:45 PM
in reply to: #17376

User image

Extreme Veteran
LJSChicago - 2004-04-08 3:59 PM

My other favorite is "Well, I don't have time to exercise". Really? I have 24 hrs in a day - how many do you have?

Okay now this is MY new favorite quote! Hahaha!

I tell people that we make time for things that are important to our well being. Exercise is important to mine. I have a nightly "appointment" with myself, so if someone wants me to go to a meeting I can honestly say "Oh I'm sorry, I already have an appointment. Maybe next time." I'm through giving it all away for free to the detriment of my health.

We all have the same 24 hours, the same muscles, the same bones, the same ability to be better today than we were yesterday. The competition is only with ourselves and we win as long as we keep playing the game. If that bothers other people, that's entirely their problem.

Gosh I love this board! Everyone is so positive and upbeat and so far I haven't read a single person whining that they had to 2,098,201.65 calories because it is that TOM and "I had cravings." Please! Losers make excuses, winners make plans.
2004-04-08 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Wow - this ranks as one of my favorite threads! My favorite story is a former student in our grad program who came back to campus for a continuing ed event and had not seem me since I checked in at 225 lbs. Seeing me at 170 - she caught me between conversations and took my hand - looked at me with this really caring look and siad, "Are you okay?" I told her I was and that I felt great - her reply, "You're sure? You don't have cancer or anything do you?" I told her no - I was into multisport training and felt great - she went away saying, "Oh good," but I could tell she wasn't convinced.

Tory I'm with Triman - congratulations - who said it? "You look marvelous..." Hey Rio (Jim) - If weighing less means we're "little guys" - my experience is that there's a whole heck of a lot more energy in "little guys" than in our former lives Max you have a great partnership going with your wife - terrific attitude here gang - inspiring!

Okay here are may favorite cliches: (Troy might call them "loser" lines"
[1] Damn - when you turn sideways, there's nothing to you.
[2] Wow - a wind would blow you away.
[3] Gee - have you been sick?
[4] Are you on that Atkins thing?
[5] Personally, I don't have time to exercise.

And finally, my favorite responses:
[1] Actually I've gained 20 lbs. (Lost 75 lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs of muscle)
[2] No I haven't been sick. I haven't felt this good since - well actually I've never really felt this good.
[3] Time to exercise? I figure time for open heart surgery and rehab will cost me way the hell more time than exercise.
[4] (The Catty one) "Gee that's funny - no normal weight people ahve asked me if I'm sick!"

I'm thinking of carrying around a baggy with eight ounces of lard in it. When folks want to know why I'm so "thin" - I think I will just pull it out and say, "I quit eating this every day."

Bottom line people? We're a bit nuts aren't we? C'mon - who would swim bike, run and spend all this time loving a sport the way we do??? My favorite coach's favorite line is that we're crazy - "But what a wonderful crazy it is!

2004-04-09 7:34 AM
in reply to: #17436

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
so far I haven't read a single person whining that they had to 2,098,201.65 calories because it is that TOM and "I had cravings." .

that's me, some time next week, stay tuned! LOL
2004-04-10 1:01 AM
in reply to: #17438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh the comments are priceless, aren't they?Here are some of my favorites:Wow you look so great! You hardly look like yourself!Well thank goodness! I sure am glad I no longer look like MYSELF any more!You look so pretty now! Doesn't it feel great to look pretty?Um thanks you insensitive clod. I kinda thought I was pretty even when I was overweight.Wow! Now you're almost as skinny as I am!From a very catty woman I work with who told me the next week that she'd gone up to a size 16 and I was currently at a size 9.Wow you look so much BETTER now!I'm surprised you people allowed me to walk around without a bag over my head! Perhaps I should have sent someone before me calling out "unclean! unclean!" to warn people of the visual abomination coming towards themHey looking good! We approve, don't we guys?!Said by the man who obviously never did attend the class on sexual harassment in the workplace. Yeah, thanks. I did it all for YOU!I know most people didn't mean for things to sound the way they did. I'm sure that later in the day when recalling the events of the day, more than one thought "Oh no! Did I actually SAY that???!" But a few were really awful.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do people worry about us ...? Rss Feed