United States
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 8s
Overall Rank = 482/1031
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 89/130
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:00 am to get dressed and head to the race which was about 2 miles down the road. We had to park and walk a good distance, so we wanted to leave plenty of time for whatever might go wrong.
Event warmup:

Found a spot at the back of the rack (guess I was later than I thought) and racked my back. Set up transition area with the usual. Clipped my shoes to my bike and gathered my wetsuit, goggles and cap to head to the bus. This race started up the river, away from the transition area, so they shuttled the athletes by bus about 2 miles to the swim start.
Swim
  • 29m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

For some reason, I couldn't get my breathing in sync on this swim. It should have been an easy swim because the water was calm, it wasn't crowded and the current was minimal. I know I've got the stamina and training to make this swim with continuous freestyle, so it was all in my head. The race director assured us the water was clean and the tested bacteria levels were minimal, but there seemed to be a metallic taste/smell to the water. I guess you'll have this with a big city river. I wasn't glowing when I came into T1 so no worries.
What would you do differently?:

I have got to concentrate more before the start and visualize myself making strong strokes and steady breathing for the whole swim. Gotta see the race I want to have before I do it. If youv'e prepared, it's all mental on race day.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Not too bad here. Decided to leave my shoes on my bike instead of trying to run in them to the mount area. Worked out well. Need to practice sprinting out of the water to the bike instead of walking, then running. The man made sandy beach coming out of the water was tough to run on though.

Use bodyglide to be able to strip my wetsuit faster.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 19s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.16 km/hr
Comments:

I felt like I had a great ride, and performed up to my current training level. My strong point on the bike is climbing where I routinely passed 5-7 people on each hill. I guess it's where I train- we have huge hills which I have to ride every time to get anywhere. The best part was when the first loop circled back by the transition area where there were hordes of spectators cheering you on like it was the TDF. The area leading to the spectator area was a long downhill, so you came flying through the crowd topping 30 mph, and of course you had to be on the aerobars hammering like hell! I felt like Lance! The ride also took you past the Philadelphia Museum of Art (the steps they filmed Rocky on) which was impressive in itself (not the Rocky part, but the museum). I fely like I paced myself well and hammered when I could and was conservative where I needed to be.

Not much. Maybe one day invest in a better bike. My Cannondale Ironman 600 is Ok, but it's an entry level tri bike. Derailleurs are what dislike the most, especially the front Tiagra.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Coming back on the second loop of the ride, you stayed right to dismount. (stay left to continue on your second loop) I knew I wanted to dismount with my feet out of my shoes, so I unstrapped my right and got out, but for some reason twisted out of my left. So, here I am with my right foot in sock and left in shoe off the bike. I said a few choice words then took off my shoe and carried it to the transition like a moron. ugh. Once in the transition area, I had some trouble with bike next to me falling over because I don't think he racked it properly. I had to take the time to set his bike up (because it was falling on me) and then mine. This probably cost me 30 seconds, but those are the breaks.

I think I'm going to try biking and running barefoot because socks take too long to put on whether before the bike or the run. I'm also getting speed laces. Other than that, just move faster.
Run
  • 57m 13s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 43s  min/km
Comments:

By now it was getting to be 9:30 and it was getting hot and humid ! Got off the bike and actually felt good. My legs weren't to wobbly and I settled into a slow but steady pace with the intention of picking it up once I got going. Once I felt into it, I started to pick it up, but I had trouble keeping my heart rate below 160 (about 90% for me) I don't know if it was the heat or what, but I felt good otherwise. Continuing onto miles 3, 4 ad 5 it started to get damn hot. The run course followed the river so it was pretty flat, but by now we were in the sun on concrete. I had to walk at two water stations to bring my heart down some. (I guess I need more hot weather training) I drank what I could but most of it went on me instead of in me. Mile 5-6 I was getting really hot and I had to slow my pace down well below what I'm capable of running for fear of having a cardiac arrest. The finish line approached and cranked it up to make a strong showing because there were about 3,000 people watching.

Need to train more in the heat. Usually, in cooler weather, I can run 7-1/2 minute miles and maintain a heart rate of 140-150. (70-80%) Why can't I drink at the water stops without pouring it all over me?
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some bananas and drank lots of water. Walked arund and soaked up the atmosphere.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Acclimation to heat. Get into my head before starting swim.

Event comments:

This was an excellent event! Well organized- you would never guess this was their first one. Great post race celebration. Free post race massages (which I didn't do) Tons of food and drink. Finishers medal. Great DJ. Great crowd. I didn't like the HEED drink that sponsered the race, would have preffered Gatorade, but that's just me. Transition area was very secure, someone actually checked bike numbers to your number as you left. This race will be very popular in the years to come, so if you want to do it, sign up early. Registration starts Nov 1 for next year. Only thing I would change- make the swim start at the transition area instead of up river, so the spectators can watch. (it was supposed to be a loop swim but was changed for logistical reasons, so maybe this isn't possible) Overall though- excellent big time race.

Last updated: 2005-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:42 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/130
Overall: 530/1031
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: This was a point to point swim in the Schuylkill river with the current. In the water start with a straight swim to a right hand J hook onto the shore at the end. We had a nice wide starting area, so there wasn't too much fighting for position. Water was calm.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:19 | 40 kms | 29.16 km/hr
Overall: 0/1031
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Best part of the day. This course was awesome. It was a double loop around Fairmount Park, which I understand is the largest urban park in the country? All roads were closed so no cars to worry about. There were plenty of flats to hammer on, but some uphills and then long downhills to get some serious speed. Lots of sweeping turns and swooping hills. I had a blast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:13 | 10 kms | 05m 43s  min/km
Overall: 0/1031
Course: From the transition area it was a 1 mile out and back, then back past the transition area again (past the spectators- very cool) and then a 2 mile out and back. Flat course with plenty of water stops. The last two miles (out and back) were in the sun. (first mile o&b was in the shade of the park trees)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 8:08 AM

User image

Subject: Philadelphia Triathlon

2005-06-27 8:45 AM
in reply to: #184227

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Triathlon
?? Where's the report??
2005-06-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #184269

User image

It's there now, I hit save before I finished.
2005-06-27 9:26 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great race Troy!  The second half of that run is definately tough out the sun.  I've heard a few people talk about their run not being quite what they expected.

Congrats!

2005-06-27 9:29 AM
in reply to: #184307

User image

Buttercup

Your race took you 7+ hours?

Did you enjoy it? Looks like you did fabulous!

2005-06-27 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
nice race... i took a pass on this race, always worried about a first time race, but this one looked very organized from be a spectator.

2005-06-27 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Ditto on the run. It was baking out there on the back loop. Excellent showing on the swim and bike, though, despite your feeling about the swim. Great job!
2005-06-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #184342

User image

LOL... 7 hrs and 15 minutes.... um, no. Let me correct that.

Edited by troydorsey835 2005-06-27 11:04 AM
2005-06-27 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Great Race Troy ....It sure was hot out there
2005-06-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: #184516

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Way to go Troy!!!

I was watching down by the last turnaround on the run, and I couldn't believe how hot it was getting.
2005-06-27 2:14 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Great job! Personally, I am scared to try biking and running without socks. Good luck with that.

2005-06-27 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
hey troy! congratulation! it was definitely a hot one ... just about everyone i know felt it on the run...

as for biking and running barefoot - my husband generally does that (though he did wear socks yesterday) - i have no problems biking barefoot but i blister if i run barefoot. he does have two sizes of shoes - shoes for wearing with socks and 1/2 size smaller for wearing without. i think it just takes some getting used to and maybe some experimentation with shoe fit.
2005-06-28 8:34 AM

User image

Hey Troy,Great job on the race. Nice to hear you were happy with your bike...it looks impressive. I agree that the race was great for a first time event. Running w/out socks , I did it in my second race and halfway through i was wishing i haspent the 20 seconds to put on the socks as my blisters were killing me...you should definitely try it, but I suggest you bring a pair of socks tucked into your shorts in case this happens to you. I agree 100% on that Heed stuff. Gross. It tasted like the flouride rinse you get at the dentist. Good race!
2005-06-28 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Great race! Good job on the run in the heat...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon Rss Feed