www.phillytri.com
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 6s
Overall Rank = 379/995
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 49/99
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, but still moved pretty sloly. Ate Oatmeal and toast and some Gatorade Endurance. Arrived to transition feeling late, but when the race announcer said that the first wave (mine) should already be at the swim area, panic set in. I was fine though. We had to take a bus to the swim start as it was a point-to-point swim.

Set up transition ate a clif bar and put on my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Went to the bathroom got in the water for about 20-30 strokes and got out again. Not much of a warm up, but it was a bit late...at least I got in the water.

Funny sidenote - I was eating my clif bar just before I ogt in the water, and when i tried to spit in my goggles to de-fog them, it was nasty brown sticky saliva that came out...not cool.
Swim
  • 24m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was awesome. There was plenty of room at the start line, the course was quite wide and straight so it was easy to line up on the opposite side of most people and still not lose too much time in distance.

I felt like I was going fast but when I got out of the water I could not believe my split. This is WAY faster than I have ever gone. Maybe swimming in a 25m pool with no wetsuit and surf-style shorts has incresed my endurance and speed without me realizing it...I don't know, but I was flying.

I wasn't dying in the water, but I wasn't exactly taking it easy...When I race longer distances, I probably shouldn't swim so fast, but I felt good in this race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Although I wonder if I had not had a flat tire and had a chance to "recover" before the bike, if my HR was too high out of the water to have a strong rest of the day....
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Smooth transition. I didn't know where I was supposed to put my wetsuit, but I just left it there on the ground.

Maybe hang up my wetsuit on the rack. Check my tires before leaving T2
Bike
  • 1h 30m 53s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Flat tire out of T1...AARRGGGHHHH. At least I had some stuff to chang it this time. Not much practice though, so it took me about 8 minutes. First time using the CO2 cartridge...worked better than I thought.

I felt good on the bike. I kep a high cadence 90-100 except on the tougher hills. I got passed by about 500 people, though! soo discouraging even though i knew it was coming. I had some time to think about some of my bike training and whether more intensity on the bike training would help my speed...

By the last 5 miles or so, my ass was KILLING me...Not sure why, but I need more time on the bike in training to avoid that in the future. I was sooo happy to get off that bike. Actual bike time (minus flat tire) was 1:23:08.

I definitely need to get some aero position on my bike. I stayed low in my drops, but others looked so much more comfortable.

About halfway through the ride, I noticed my fron break was rubbing a bit. I adjusted it, but I kind of struggled with it all ride.

Inflate my tire less before the race. Spend more intense sessions on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Nothing special...the race announcer announced the winner while i was in T2...That put things in perspective.

nothing
Run
  • 48m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt nice and strong. Started out trying on purpose to keep my pace down and at mile 1 I was at 8:05. that gave me confidence because I felt like I was running at a fairly comfortable pace. I kept the pace until mile 4 (32:10) and then I decided to pick it up. Last two miles were about 7:15-7:30 pace. I was definitely feeling it at the end though!

It was hot and sunny by the last 3 miles. I passed a lot of people and it was a huge boost. Every person i passed I would check their calf to see if they were in my AG and there were many who were. That was great because I could see my placement improving with every person I passed...kind of motivating. I guess that's why they put people's age on their calf.

At about mile 4 I started feeling a weird tingly feeling in my legs and got a bit worried...I decided if it started moving through my body I would slow down or stop...it ended up not being anything much, but it is important to note and keep in mind in future races.

I think nothing

Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, stretched a bit, cheered a bit. Waited for Kate to go buy and cheered for her. (she finished in 3:15 :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just more strength on the bike. Flat tire.

Event comments:

Great race...would love to do it again next year. Very well organized and the volunteers were awesome!

Last updated: 2004-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:40 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/99
Overall: 167/995
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Point-to-point, downstream from one side of the river to the other. Nice not to have to turn too much
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:53 | 24.85 miles | 16.41 mile/hr
Overall: 779/995
Performance: Average
HR Avg. 161
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful 2-loop course. Mostly flat, with some short climbs. Shady, smooth and free of all traffic. Awesome bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:32 | 06.21 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 166/995
HR Avg. 167
Course: One back and forth loop. The second part of it was on a hot and steamy highway with no shade. Not very pretty, but flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 10:11 AM

User image

Subject: City of Philadelphia Triathlon

2005-06-27 10:24 AM
in reply to: #184362

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: City of Philadelphia Triathlon
Great race!  You were flying on that swim!  Congrats!
2005-06-27 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Great Race Ivan...   I am sorry abou the flat... but hey....  it comes with the territory...right?  Your swim and run were superb....   great finish..
Great race for Kate too.... say hi..

cheers
2005-06-27 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Great race Ivan.....aqwesome swim and run times ....too bad about the flat
2005-06-27 11:42 AM

User image

AWESOME swim !! I hope to be near your time next year. Nice job.
2005-06-28 8:47 AM

User image

Thanks! Hey John, On the bike when my butt started to hurt, I was saying that Lance quote in my head. It actually helped!

2005-07-09 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Ivan,

Great race. You are my idol. Someday I want to be as fast as you. Sorry it took my a while to respond.

What's next?
2005-07-09 9:28 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome times on the swim and run. major bummer about the flat...and funny about the post-clif sludge. hee hee. congratulations on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Philadelphia Triathlon Rss Feed