General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gravel roads Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-08 12:50 PM

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA
Subject: gravel roads
Okay, maybe this is a silly question, but it sure won't be the first time I have looked silly...so here goes! I do 99% of my running on a treadmill. I have 4 little girls, so I have to do it when they are wathing TV, napping, etc. The 2 times I have gone running outdoors around my house, I have found it very challenging. I had to really work to run a mile, when I could do 3 on the TM with no problem. I ended up walking most of it.

I thought it was just the difference between the treadmill and running outdoors, but when I ran my first 5K last weekend, I did really awesome! I ran the whole way, smoked my treadmills times and really enjoyed it....

So, I wonder if the difference is that all the roads within a few miles of my house are gravel. It made me wonder if the constant minor balance adjustments, etc, made a difference, or if I am just nuts. The only other things that I can think of is the adrenaline, but while I am sure that helped, it just seemed the differnce was too pronounced. I had a energy drink shortly before the race...maybe that was it.

I also wondered about running on the gravel period...how that is for the legs. I could change my route and run from my house to the river. That would be off road on the mowed grass......Any ideas?

2004-04-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #17297

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: RE: gravel roads
softer surfaces are definitely better for your legs. I've run a lot on dirt and gravel roads, on the golf course, whatever. It's definitely faster to run on pavement, but your joints suffer.
2004-04-08 2:01 PM

Champion
I like the softer surfaces too Stephannie, I try to do a lot of my running in the woods on trails, or on old dirt roads. It sure is easier on my feet. I don't pay much attention to my times and distances since it doesn't seem comparable to the road, I just go by how the effort feels to me, as to making sure I get a good workout. One other thing that will lower your time in the race compared to training is that you tend to get swept up in the pack atmosphere and with the adrenaline and all, the times are almost sure to be quicker.

Congrats on the 5 K BTW!

Max
2004-04-08 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Speaking from someone who was regularly running on concrete, it makes a HUGE difference.

Good job on the improvement. Someone once told me that running in a group vs. alone makes all the difference in the world. You are surrounded by like individuals which inspires you to greater heights. I've heard that group running is also relaxing. You are not focusing on the end goal, or your pains(as in my case) and instead just enjoying the experience.

2004-04-08 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Try the softer stuff! And as far as the treadmill vs outdoors, I hear you! I've always felt that outdoor running is a better (read-harder) workout, but I love it! It is truly invigorating, even when it is bitter cold ( or especially when it is cold). I am finding the treadmill more and more boring. Of course, when you have kids sleeping in the house, you can't just leave them! I'm forced to use the treadmill at times for that reason too!
2004-04-08 3:31 PM

New user
Iowa
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that is surrounded by gravel roads! I'm encouraged to hear that my times will improve when running on hard surfaces, some days I feel as if I'm not making any headway between dodging loose gravel and vehicles!

First Du coming up in May - I'll be looking forward to time drops! Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gravel roads Rss Feed