General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total newb swim question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-27 4:12 AM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Subject: Total newb swim question
Alright, looking at my training plan that I am choosing to work on the swimming portion uses the terms:

200 meters "pull" -- not sure what "pull" means? Just arms and no kick or really does it mean pull the arm stroke hard and still kick a bit?

200 meters "kick" -- not sure what "kick" means? Just kick with no arms (kickboard?) or just accent the kick?

"odds are breath everyside, evens are bilateral? I normally breath on every second arm stroke switching from left to right on each length. Not sure what the above means? Do they mean breath every arm stroke when they say "breath everyside"?

Also, if the plans call for 30 min of swim but I cannot complete all the sets within the time limit is it better to finish the sets and go long on time or stop at 30 minutes?

Swim background: I learned to swim 3 years ago at age 35 (could not complete 25 meters at that time) just by swimming multiple times a week while stationed in Korea. I have never had a lesson and really wish I could get some but I have no access to classes or instructors where I currently stationed for the next 6 months in Iraq. I can swim continously for over an hour but I am not very fast at all (was doing up to 2 to 2.5 k and hour) and have done a few mile+ long OWS without problem.

Thanks for the help!
Buck

2010-04-27 4:25 AM
in reply to: #2818716

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Total newb swim question
If you switch sides, every stroke, you're already breathing bi-laterally every other stroke.  I wouldn't mess with it.

2010-04-27 4:52 AM
in reply to: #2818716

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Pull means to use a pullbuoy between your legs and swim with no kick.
Kick means to just kick, usually with a kickboard but there are variations of doing it on your back or side with no board too.

As for doing the time vs finishing the sets, I think it's up to you really.  If you've got the time, I would say finish the sets but whatever works for you.

Breathing bilateral would be breathing on the left, taking an odd number of strokes then breathing on the right etc.  Every side would be always breathing on the same side.  You would never breath every arm stroke (left, right, left etc), it would completely throw off your rhythm.

Good luck with the swimming!
2010-04-27 5:15 AM
in reply to: #2818729

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Super! Thannks for the info!

Now I need to find out what the hell a "pullbuoy" is (I'm sure wiki can help with that) and then get one of those and a kickboard!

Thanks again,
Buck
2010-04-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2818742

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Karl Hungus - 2010-04-27 6:15 AM Super! Thannks for the info! Now I need to find out what the hell a "pullbuoy" is (I'm sure wiki can help with that) and then get one of those and a kickboard! Thanks again, Buck

I think most pools that cater to lap swimmers have pull buoys and kickboards available for use.  (Certainly all the pools I've ever been to have them.)

Otherwise, sporting goods places should carry them.

ETA:  This is a pull buoy:

Edited by Experior 2010-04-27 7:17 AM
2010-04-27 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2818875

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Experior - 2010-04-27 7:16 AM

Karl Hungus - 2010-04-27 6:15 AM Super! Thannks for the info! Now I need to find out what the hell a "pullbuoy" is (I'm sure wiki can help with that) and then get one of those and a kickboard! Thanks again, Buck

I think most pools that cater to lap swimmers have pull buoys and kickboards available for use.  (Certainly all the pools I've ever been to have them.)

Otherwise, sporting goods places should carry them.

ETA:  This is a pull buoy:

Thanks!

Unfortunately my pool used to cater to the Iraqi upper class and now it doesn't cater to anyone but a bunch of soldiers!

I looked on wiki and found out what it was and one is already on it's way.

I do appreciate all the help, though!

Thanks again,
Buck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total newb swim question Rss Feed