Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-08 1:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-04-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: #17302

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: swimming with a sinus infection?
If you have a bacterial sinus infection, make sure you've taken your antibiotics for 24 hours before you get around other people. Until then, you're still contagious.

Other than that, the advice I've read about colds may also apply to sinus infections -- if the infection is from the neck up, you're okay for exercising if you feel like it. If it's in the chest, hold off. Personally, though, I'd switch around my workouts and give myself a little longer to heal, especially when considering a sport that can get water in your sinuses.
2004-04-08 1:15 PM

north carolina
hi lara!

i am a nurse practitioner so i am sort of qualified to answer your question. your doctor would probably tell you to rest and not to swim until you are feeling better but your doctor is probably also not familiar with triathletes. the rule of thumb that i follow is this: i continue to work out as long as any infection is ABOVE my neck (ear infection, sinus infection, upper respiratory infection). if i ever suspect that i have any sort of respiratory infection below my neck (bronchitis, pneumonia etc.) or anything that seems like more than a common cold, then i may take a few days off to recover. as long as you take your antibiotics, get good sleep at night, eat well, and drink plenty of fluids you should be fine to keep on swimming. please don't sue me if you end up getting really sick - this is just what i would do!

take care and feel better!

mary
2004-04-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: #17308

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-08 3:12 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Ugh, Biaxin. Yeah, it tastes like you are sucking on a hubcab!

Swimming may even cause you to get in an accidental sinus wash! Might clear you up a bit.
2004-04-08 3:33 PM

north carolina
next time you should ask for the delicious strawberry omnicef liquid - this is what we rx for the kids and they love the taste! works well too!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming with a sinus infection? Rss Feed