United States
Fleet Feet
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 25s
Overall Rank = 36/156
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Spent the day before getting all the gear in order and loaded into the car. Thought a fair bit about pace targets for each leg of the race. Getting up early was tough, but coffee hit the spot. Enjoyed some applesauce, and a protein shake. Off to the race...
Event warmup:

Easy jog for about 4/10ths of a mile before stretching. Tried to do moving stretches as I walked over to the starting line.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Being my first multi-sport race in 5 years, I wanted to make sure I left some "gas in the tank" for the later portion of the race. My goal was to keep a 8-8:15 pace for the first run. Finished the run feeling great as if it was just a light warm-up. All the people and volunteers made it very fun and exciting where I didn't need to think about running.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I could have increased the pace to 7:50-8:00 and probably still feel great for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Had a little trouble with one of the velcro straps that slowed me down. Overall, I took my time at transition making sure I didn't leave something important behind. I chose to put on gloves, and even after the face I am very happy that I did.

Practicing the transition to be more confident that I wasn't leaving anything behind will help me cut the time down significantly.
Bike
  • 59m 17s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

AWESOME!!! Having a slower run, a longer T1, and starting 3minutes after the Run-Bike-Paddle group means that there are a lot of people on the bike already. I had a chance to ride the course a week earlier, and I knew that I could be ride aero until RIT to make up ground. I did exactly that, and by the time I got to RIT I was caught up with the better riders. I love hills, and was really able to take advantage of each up-and-down to pickoff many riders. As I passed Jefferson on the road back I was riding alone. Nobody in sight in front or behind until I was a mile from the transition zone. I lowered the gears to flush out my legs, and a big grin popped up on my face knowing that I finished this section in under an hour holding a 20+ mph average pace. All that's left to do is a little stroll in the park...

Getting better at drinking on the hill climbs would help shave some time compared to drinking on the flats.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Ahh...Brick legs. Made my way to my rack spot quickly and was able to get into running shoes very fast. Peeled off the gloves and ripped open a hammer gel and took a big swig of water. Wasn't sure if the time spent for the gel was worth it, but on mile 2 I could feel a pick-me up. Definately a good idea.

Get comfortable taking a gel while running. Would have save a few seconds in transition.
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Ironically, the first mile was the fastest mile I ran all day. The brick-leg effect was gone about a half mile into the run. Sticking to the pace strategy I planned, I tried to keep on target for 8 minute miles. I don't remember being so many foot bridges, but I certainly felt the effects from the ride when I climbed up each one. My heart rate was pretty high on the last mile, but the cheering of so many people and knowing that I was so close to finishing kept me pushing harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Catch my breath, and got several cups of water. Walked around to see the rest of the athletes coming in, and did a thorough stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being the first duathlon of the year, I was shooting to finishing around 2:00. I stuck with the pacing plan, which was a close fit. I had energy left over at the end of the race that I could have probably used if I increased the pace a little more. Better self-awareness through training could help increase speed.

Last updated: 2010-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:34
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average