General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Philly Triathlete - my intro Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-08 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: New Philly Triathlete - my intro
Just joined today, and have been all over this wonderful site, mostly gathering info and finding answers to the laundry list of questions that seem to have occupied my brain. Good thing my boss is on vacation.

Anyhow, my name is John, I am 27and I live in Philadelphia. I have played soccer for over 20 years, culminating on the Division 1 level but injuries ended any aspirations for a pro career. In an effort to get back in shape and lose weight, I got into running almost 10 months ago. I have dropped from a stocky 220 down a fit 175. (I am 6'1" in case anyone was wondering) I enjoy competing in races but am by no means competitive. I basically enjoy racing against myself. I have run everything from a 5K to marathons, having just completed my 2nd sub 4hour marathon in the past 5 months. (Note to self: never train through the winter again, unless it'd for Boston)

I recently met a pro triathlete (friend of a friend) at a party and he has convinced me to give it a tri. I am in the 1st week of my training and loving it. Not exactly sure what race or races I am going to enter but it will be a sprint distance.

I have quickly realized how $ this sport is, but no complaints here.

The one thing Mike - the pro told me was that I was going to meet a lot of extra-ordinary people in this sport. And I already have ...from the guy who fit me for a wet-suit and then told me where I could get it cheaper, to the bike store owner who is allowing me to use one of their demo tri-bikes for my first race ...to this awesome site ...everything has amazed me and I am very thankful to be joining this community.

As I said, I have a ton of questions, but I will post them in the appropriate place.

Thanks again ...hope you enjoyed my profile ...John

2004-04-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: #17303

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: RE: New Philly Triathlete - my intro
220lb soccer player – must have been a center back!! Welcome!

Oh yeah – and Div 1 – that’s not too shabby!!! Nice work!

Edited by mikenhe 2004-04-08 1:43 PM
2004-04-08 2:21 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Welcome to the site!  Is your pro friend giving free coaching to you?  Good advice is priceless.

Good luck with the training.

TB

2004-04-08 2:47 PM
in reply to: #17312

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
sorry, to clarify ...i was about 180 when playing soccer ....2 ACL tears ended soccer for me ....living in a fraternity house eating / drinking/ not exercising led to 220 # ....and i was a striker
2004-04-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: #17332

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
my friend is quickly turning into a mentor / coach ...he has gotten me on my way and is constantly providing advice ...his inbox will be glad that i found this site ....

he has recommended the spinervals bike series with Troy Jacobson for bike training ....anyone ever used these? it's at www.spinervals.com

and i have joined a local masters swim program

the running is my strength and i can handle that on my own
2004-04-08 3:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome! Sounds like it is all falling into place for you! That's awesome!

And, it is good to see a Philly person here! I grew up in the Philly area - never knew a triathlete there!

2004-04-08 3:50 PM

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA

Welcome...although it sounds like I will probably be coming to you for advice!

I have heard the same rumors about triathletes being extraordinary people and it has always panned out that way in my experience.

Congrats on all that you have already done....sounds like finishing a tri will be a piece of cake for you!  I will be doing my first one in August.  I am nervous but very excited and glad to have a focus rather than just the general goal of "get in shape."

2004-04-08 8:45 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Nice to have you, you'll notice that there are a lot of soccer fans here.
2004-04-08 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Welcome! Yup - lots of $$ - but way the heck cheaper than the co-pay on open heart surgery (That's my line where I live) Not from Philly - but spoke at a college there and loved Chestnut Hill area.
2004-04-08 11:38 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the community!  Glad to have your here and Congrats on your accomplishments thus far.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Philly Triathlete - my intro Rss Feed