General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which component group? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-28 6:18 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Which component group?
I'm getting a new bike and considering options of what component group I want to get.  I've been riding ultegra since '06 on both my tri and road bike. Cross bike is 105 parts. I've talked with different bike shops. I'd like to hear what BT thinks to get few more opinions.

Ultegra vs Dura Ace?

Sram Force vs Red?

Sram vs. Shimano?

One bike offers getting Red with Force crank or Dura Ace group with Ultegra crank which saves about $300.

Sram Red is lighter and cheaper than Dura Ace.

Will the difference between top component group and Ultegra or Force be substantial? Durability the same?  Money is an issue but I suspect I'll have the new bike many years and I love to ride.

I'm also considering ditching both my power taps (training wheel open mavic pro and Zipp 404s) and going with crank based power meter like quarq or SRM.

Thoughts?

2010-04-28 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2821734

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Which component group?
You need to see if you like SRAM shifting before you think about Red or Force.  I like it, but I like my DA7800 better.  The new Ultegra is supposed to be very nice, but so is the DA.  I think Shimano's cranks are supposed to be a bit beefier, and their bottom bracket gives you more options for different cranks down the road, SRAM BB will only work with SRAM Cranks.  The biggest differences you'd notice would be shifting (Double Tap vs Shimano standard) and hood shape. 

As far as power, do you really want to change so much as to give up the system you've been using and spending $2k or more on a new SRM?

I'd probably go DA7900 and stick with your current power setup.  I don't really think there's all that much benefit to SRAM (unless you really like the double tap shifting). 
2010-04-28 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2821751

User image

Champion
MA
Sprint_DA - 2010-04-28 7:33 AM You need to see if you like SRAM shifting before you think about Red or Force.  I like it, but I like my DA7800 better.  The new Ultegra is supposed to be very nice, but so is the DA.  I think Shimano's cranks are supposed to be a bit beefier, and their bottom bracket gives you more options for different cranks down the road, SRAM BB will only work with SRAM Cranks.  The biggest differences you'd notice would be shifting (Double Tap vs Shimano standard) and hood shape. 

As far as power, do you really want to change so much as to give up the system you've been using and spending $2k or more on a new SRM?

I'd probably go DA7900 and stick with your current power setup.  I don't really think there's all that much benefit to SRAM (unless you really like the double tap shifting). 

Power I think I'm going to sell my Zipp 404s with power tap as they are tubulars and I want clinchers. If I ditch the crank that comes with bike and sell my training wheels cost is close to equal. Sell my tubular PT Zipps then I can get any race wheels which opens up more opportunities as I have crank power system. Makes most sense to make the change now and it would be cheaper than later. Just an options I'm considering.

I've ridden Felt with Sram R2C shifters and liked them. They are a lot stiffer than my shifters that are soft and need replacing. Aerobars were to long so hard to see what they would really be like. Double shifting of Sram..not sure what you mean by that unless you are talking road bikes but I'm getting tri bike so will use bar end shifters?

Riding an Ordu with Force tomorrow and taking it to my favorite riding area for longer test ride.
2010-04-28 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2821765

User image

Davenport, IA
KathyG - 2010-04-28 6:46 AM
Sprint_DA - 2010-04-28 7:33 AM You need to see if you like SRAM shifting before you think about Red or Force.  I like it, but I like my DA7800 better.  The new Ultegra is supposed to be very nice, but so is the DA.  I think Shimano's cranks are supposed to be a bit beefier, and their bottom bracket gives you more options for different cranks down the road, SRAM BB will only work with SRAM Cranks.  The biggest differences you'd notice would be shifting (Double Tap vs Shimano standard) and hood shape. 

Power I think I'm going to sell my Zipp 404s with power tap as they are tubulars and I want clinchers. If I ditch the crank that comes with bike and sell my training wheels cost is close to equal. Sell my tubular PT Zipps then I can get any race wheels which opens up more opportunities as I have crank power system. Makes most sense to make the change now and it would be cheaper than later. Just an options I'm considering.

I've ridden Felt with Sram R2C shifters and liked them. They are a lot stiffer than my shifters that are soft and need replacing. Aerobars were to long so hard to see what they would really be like. Double shifting of Sram..not sure what you mean by that unless you are talking road bikes but I'm getting tri bike so will use bar end shifters?

Riding an Ordu with Force tomorrow and taking it to my favorite riding area for longer test ride.

Jeez...Sorry, mind is stuck in road bike mode instead of tri-bike mode.  R2C shifters are supposed to be really sweet.  I haven't used those at all yet.  I would be tempted to use SRAM on a TT bike just to get R2C's.  Force or Red would be pretty sweet, Force inherited a lot of Red's technology last year, so the difference may only be a few grams in weight and some improved durability for Force.

ETA: And if you sell your wheels and go SRM take a look at HED wheels for your next set.  The wider rim (23mm vs 19-20mm) improves ride and handling so much.  That's what everyone at the shop I work at is riding these days.  I've had mine for 2 years and absolutely love them.

Edited by Sprint_DA 2010-04-28 6:52 AM
2010-04-28 7:12 AM

User image

Elite
SE
there is no question in my mind but you did not ask it:

if you can afford it, get the shimano di2's! hit my fb page for a clean picture of it and if you search joule mounting on slowtwitch.com tri forum you will see it there too. obviously the joule is a great purchase too, but again thats a bit off topic. sorry but there's nothing better than the joule/di2 pairing in my mind.
2010-04-28 8:08 AM

User image

Elite

While everyone loses SRAM these days, one thing to remember is that the Shimano gruppo has maybe 10billion miles on it? While SRAM Red has 3million? That said if I had the money I would probably go Red over DA, simply because of R2C shifters and the weigh savings. I run a mix of ultegra/DA on TT bike and probably just going to finish and upgrade to DA since I am nearly there.

2010-04-28 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
I am a SRAM fan and would pick SRAM Force unless money is not a consideration.  I have SRAM Force on my road bike, but still run Shimano 9spd on my tri bike.  My cross bike still has 9spd Ultegra on it too and my mtn bike has SRAM.  I have no issues jumping back and forth between bikes and having to think about shifting.  But in the tri setup a barend shifter is pretty much a barend shifter whether it be Shimano, Campagnolo, or SRAM (even with the R2C working a little different).  Dura Ace has what many believe to be the best brakes, Red would be the lightest, and I just like the looks of SRAM cranks better.  I believe you could pick any of them and be happy.
2010-04-28 8:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-28 8:26 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
KathyG - 2010-04-28 7:18 AM I'm getting a new bike and considering options of what component group I want to get.  I've been riding ultegra since '06 on both my tri and road bike. Cross bike is 105 parts. I've talked with different bike shops. I'd like to hear what BT thinks to get few more opinions.

Ultegra vs Dura Ace?

Sram Force vs Red?

Sram vs. Shimano?

One bike offers getting Red with Force crank or Dura Ace group with Ultegra crank which saves about $300.

Will the difference between top component group and Ultegra or Force be substantial? Durability the same?  Money is an issue but I suspect I'll have the new bike many years and I love to ride.

I'm also considering ditching both my power taps (training wheel open mavic pro and Zipp 404s) and going with crank based power meter like quarq or SRM.

Thoughts?

keep in mind if you are going with crank based power and you go Shimano, you will have to *settle* for a 7800 crank, as (unless it just came out) there isn't a 7900 system available.

Durability on all groups should be about the same (with the obvious things like a RED/DA cassette and chain having a bit shorter life than a "heavier" one.)

Personally, I like STI shifting better than Double tap... however, that all depends on whether you are getting a road bike or a tri bike.
IMO, when you get into a "race" group, you can't go wrong. There is something to be said about going with the top of the line though... it always puts my mind at ease knowing "this group is THE BEST this company makes."

I've also read a lot saying 7900 is a PITA for people who are a bit more lax with their bike upkeep (ahem... raises hand) so that might be a factor.

(edit) Remember too, if the R2C shifters are appealing, you can always use the Zipps with a shimano setup (and the zipps fit into Vuka Aerobars!)
just something else to consider

Edited by Leegoocrap 2010-04-28 8:28 AM
2010-04-28 8:34 AM

Master
portland, or
KathyG - 2010-04-28 3:18 AM

I'm getting a new bike and considering options of what component group I want to get.  I've been riding ultegra since '06 on both my tri and road bike. Cross bike is 105 parts. I've talked with different bike shops. I'd like to hear what BT thinks to get few more opinions.

Ultegra vs Dura Ace?

Sram Force vs Red?

Sram vs. Shimano?

Thoughts?

ultegra vs. DA = DA
force vs. Red = Red, but with force front der. and shimano chain
sram vs. shimano = shimano
durability of force vs. ultegra = wash
You can get zipp R2C shifters for shimano

all of the gruppos you're looking at are solid, and all will last with good care. personally, as i've told you, i'm a DA fan. the chainrings and cranks are stiffer, shifting is crisper, and drive train is quieter.

of course i also feel like a previous poster does, that di2 blows all of them away, but it comes at a price.

scott
2010-04-28 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2822044

Champion
the colony texas
if you get the quarg, isnt' there a few cranks that are not compatible with it yet?? 

that might make it easier to decide what you want since you have fewer options

2010-04-28 9:30 AM

Pro
Twin Cities
I'm cheap, so I go with 105 or Ultegra over DA. I've never had a problem with durability and reliability, and the new 105 is as good as the DA of a few years ago, IMO.

I do prefer Shimano over SRAM, but if there is a substantial cost savings, I would consider it.
2010-04-28 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2822084

Champion
MA
Gaarryy - 2010-04-28 9:46 AM if you get the quarg, isnt' there a few cranks that are not compatible with it yet?? 

Yes you are right that is why I'm consider all the options before I buy my new bike and pick the group I want. Another option is going with SRM power meter that is in the crank.
2010-04-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2821803

Champion
MA
phatknot - 2010-04-28 8:12 AM there is no question in my mind but you did not ask it:

if you can afford it, get the shimano di2's! hit my fb page for a clean picture of it and if you search joule mounting on slowtwitch.com tri forum you will see it there too. obviously the joule is a great purchase too, but again thats a bit off topic. sorry but there's nothing better than the joule/di2 pairing in my mind.

I think that di2 is out of my budget as I have a list of bike wants other than new bike and components.
2010-04-28 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2822249

Champion
the colony texas
KathyG - 2010-04-28 9:32 AM
Gaarryy - 2010-04-28 9:46 AM if you get the quarg, isnt' there a few cranks that are not compatible with it yet?? 

Yes you are right that is why I'm consider all the options before I buy my new bike and pick the group I want. Another option is going with SRM power meter that is in the crank.

You run a compact correct??   from their site  these are your only choices as far as cranks,, So no shimano it looks like,

Compact 110 BCD:

2010-04-28 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2822569

Champion
MA
Gaarryy - 2010-04-28 11:26 AM

You run a compact correct??   from their site  these are your only choices as far as cranks,, So no shimano it looks like,

Compact 110 BCD:

Thanks, yes I ride compacts on all my bikes....I'm going to call them and chat to learn a bit more.

2010-04-28 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2822569

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
Gaarryy - 2010-04-28 11:26 AM

Compact 110 BCD:

but you can still run Shimano for the rest of the drivetrain is so desired.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which component group? Rss Feed