General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Glad to be aboard the Tri Train Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-08 2:02 PM

Subject: Glad to be aboard the Tri Train
I found this board looking for an online training log. I am 28 and have completed a couple of sprint tri's over a year ago. I then ruptured my ACL and tore my miniscus playing basketball. My surgery was 1/7/04 and I am hoping to complete a sprint tri on 6/12/04. This will be a challenge since I can only run about a mile on a treadmill right now. Fortunately the swimming and the biking are ready today. I also am interested in getting rid of my 12 extra pounds that I gained since the injury. Please let me know if you have had a similar injury and how working tri's into rehab has worked for you. Thanks.

2004-04-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: #17318

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Glad to be aboard the Tri Train

Glad you are here - but sorry I can't help with your injuries.  So far, I've not had much more than bumps and bruises.

Good luck with the training - I would imagine that the cross training would really help speed the recovery - less of a beating in a single sport.

Welcome!

TB

2004-04-08 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
I have torn and re-habbed both knees due ACL tears. Rehabilitation has come a long way since I was injured. I tore the left in 1998 and went through 9 months of recovery before i was playing soccer again. In 2002, I tore the right and was only out 5 months. Last May, I pulled hamstrings and was back in re-hab. The people going through ACL re-hab were walking the same week they had surgery, which was amazing to me, b/c I remember having to spend 2 weeks in bed before even attempting anyhting.

Cycling and swimming are obviously much easier to get back than running but listen to your body b/c the worst thing you want to do is come back to soon and re-injure yourself.

Good Luck
2004-04-08 3:20 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey there! I had a meniscus injury and had surgery 7/03. I wasn't allowed to run for 6 months (and I was in the middle of training for a marathon), because they actually screwed my meniscus into the tibia! Of course, I was told I was having a simple scope and would walk out of surgery. NOT! Crutches for a month instead.

Anyway, running is probably the slowest in rehabbing the knee. Take it slow, so that you aren't stuck with a lifelong knee problem. Biking is an excellent rehab for a knee. As far as running, I am allowed to add 1 minute of running per week! It is a painfully slow process, but I'd rather be healthy and not reinjure the knee.

Good luck with your training!
2004-04-08 4:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. It sure is frustrating being patient, but what can you do. At least swimming and biking give me somethig to look forward to. The run has always been the biggest challenge for me and it is becoming apparent that it isn't going to change. Swimming and Biking brick tonight.
2004-04-08 4:52 PM

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA
Best of luck on a speedy recovery!  I will be of no help in that regard.  Too new to have anything happen to me yet!   Although I seem to be the queen of soreness!  I can sympathize with the impatience, though.  I get so irritated at how long it takes me to build up.  When I want something, I would much rather have it now. 

2004-04-08 5:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I partially tore my meniscus playing basketball in Sept 03 and was out about a month and started training mid-Oct for my first triathlon.  I was able to run a Thanksgiving day 4 miler with out any pain whatsoever.  It will occassionally be sore after a long workout but nothing I would say is limiting.  My IT band on the other knee is extremely frustrating as I was training for a 1/2 marathon in May.  That is now out and I am back up to 40 min's for my long run.  I was at 6 miles in about an hour, now I run hoping to finish my planned workout.  Good luck to you. 
2004-04-08 8:46 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Sorry to hear about your injuries.  Hope the tri goes well!

2004-04-08 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hey - really good luck on your season - I'm with Cathy - pay real close attention to your body. I have not had injuries lately - but did have to give up running while training for a marathon (way too long ago) - Now I am taking it pretty slow - frustrating sometimes - but slow and steady is way the heck better than fast and out for another season - or two - or three - my coach's dad does the run portion of a tri with power walking because he ca not run - how about hinking run/walk - run/walk for the run portion - let your body's voice do the call and not your "competition brain." I've even heard of folks who do the swim, bike and then DNF - but it's on purpose - instead of "Din Not Finish" - they take the slant - "Did not Screw Up!"

Great to see you here.
2004-04-09 10:09 AM

Thanks for the support. As an athlete with an injury you have to unteach yourself one of the very things that make you an athlete, pushing throught the pain. Patience has never been my strong suit. I did run-walk-run yesterday evening for 2 miles. I think I will take another week off of running and try and do the same thing next week. In the meantime the elyptical machine is my friend.

Thanks for the Love (Ai in Chinese)!
2004-04-09 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
I haven't had a similar injury so no advice there, but welcome to the site and good luck with your training!

Kelly

2004-04-12 1:10 PM

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
welcome.
i'm sorry about your injury, take it easy.
good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Glad to be aboard the Tri Train Rss Feed