General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Ontario Canada Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-30 8:25 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: Hello from Ontario Canada
Well I am very new to this... I have never done one.. Frankly I am a couch potato of sorts, I work a lot of hours. been off and on working out, I scuba dive a lot. And I have always enjoyed cycling. 2009 I put 400km on my bike.. 2008 I put 2200km on my bike so I slipped big time last year..

This year I am commited to training, working, eating right, loosing weight and changing my lifestyle. I am really over weight. But 3 weeks ago my wife and I put our heads down for change. I have already lost 10 lbs down from 260 to 250lbs may as well be honest here. I am jogging on my tread mill 2-3 days a week.. 1 min run followed by 2 min walking right now for a total of 40 mins each work out now.. I can get on my bike however and ride 30km in an hour with no issues.

I have not practiced swimming other then scuba diving with fins... so that doesn't count.

But I have signed up for a Try a Tri that is near me in late August 375m swim, 2K run, 10k bike ride...

The bike ride should be easy for me the running and swimming while I suck but I have until August and I am really working.. my legs burn every day.. in another few weeks I want to try Brick training and look at swimming somehow... no local pools near me... might have to put on my wetsuit and hit the lake.

I am married, live in ontario and I am 36 and work as an Engineer by day... and a kid that doesn't want to grow up by night...lol

Chris Bell

Edited by Techdiver 2010-04-30 8:26 AM

2010-04-30 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2827923

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Hello from Ontario Canada
Where are you at in Ontario, I am in London, Chatham
2010-04-30 10:09 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
I live in Chatham and work in windsor and hang out in london...lol
2010-04-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2828237

User image

New user

o nice, i will be living in chatham this summer but often go to London bc my inlaws are there. you mentioned that you are an engineer, what type of engineering?

Edited by justin.egan 2010-04-30 11:15 AM
2010-04-30 12:17 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Mechanical by trade or classification.. but  I have had the opportunity to work in many fields.

Chemical for a few years.

Did robot programming and PLC programming, Automation design, CNC programming (very little)

Project Management

Now I am a Continuous Improvement Manager with a few guys working for me.

Well if your in chatham and you ever want to go for a ride with a slow cyclest.... let me know.. I have to build back up but I enjoy riding around the Thames out to Prarie siding and back about a 28 k ride.

2010-04-30 12:59 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-04-30 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2828732

New user

Ok cool, I am almost done with my electrical engineering degree. I will be lookng for a job soon. Do you have any type of co-op positions or anything for the summer? Yeah, definately, wouldn't mind riding with someone else.
2010-04-30 8:20 PM

Chatham Ontario
Thanks Kevin, Appreciate the offer...

I might take some people up once I can actually achieve something...lol... But deff working on it.. being I am bigger and don't really run that is all I have done the last two weeks, 3 days a week....trying to learn and work on running.... going to sign up for a learn to run clinic.

might take you up on a ride or something in a month or so...

Thanks for the Welcome

Sean Get me your resume... we don't take on Co-op positions... But I may be looking for someone full time when you finish up...and I have a lot of contacts in industry.

2010-04-30 8:31 PM

Welcome to BT. Smart way to start the running. I had to lay off due to a knee injury and started by with 3 min run, 2 min walk. Did that for quite a few weeks before I moved to 5 min run and 2 walk. Just saying that you need to listen to your body, but don't let it trick you into thinking that you should push it too far. Focus on the weight loss and the rest will come. I started out at over 250 in '07 and was down to 170 last year. YOU Can do it!
2010-04-30 10:29 PM

Chatham Ontario
Wow thanks Vince... I am trying to listen to my body that is for sure.. I cut my run 5mins short tonight missing my last run and cool down... my ankel had a small niggle in it... I am glad I stopped.. I want to say it hurts but not really more of I feel it there... a tiny bit sore... so backing off hoping for good weather and time to start cycling.

Very inspiring to see where you started and where you are now... This is the kind of stuff I need to stay motivated.... Thanks

Chris
2010-05-02 11:22 AM

Regular
The Ottawa Valley, ON
Welcome to BT fellow Ontarioian!  Once you've started your going to have the bug for TRI's.  Good luck and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.  There is a wealth of knowledge/advice here, be sure to use it to your full advantage.  I grew up in the London area and now live in the Ottawa Valley, good to see some locals on here.

Smitty

2010-05-02 11:31 AM

Expert
Welcome to BT!  I'm also an engineer - work in London, live in Woodstock, so I understand the frustration with the long hours and commuting.  Can you do your swims when you are in windsor - like at lunch time? 

Can you swim at the wheels inn?  their pool is bigger (if I recall correctly) than the average hotel pool.
2010-05-02 3:32 PM

Chatham Ontario
Thanks for the welcome everyone..

I am going to give a look in windsor for swimming on my lunch hour.. good thought...

The Wheels inn is no longer in chatham... it was sold out, they have knocked most of what you would know down... and they are redoing it as a hotel.. but the gym, kids section, pools are all gone now...

They are finally building a new YMCA in town... and we are all awaiting that.. but it won't be open until next year...

Had a good weekend.. got a running workout in on friday and 18km ride on saturday with 30-35km/hr head winds...so I took my short route...

I am very pleased with this site so far.. so much information I am lost at the momment.. but great that it is all here...

Thanks again.
2010-05-04 9:43 AM

Master
Southern Ontario
Woot!

There is a "Beginner Masters" program in Blenheim on Mon/Wed evenings which is drop in and is only 5$ per swim. There is also the Masters team that swims Tues/Thurs.

Welcome to BT!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Ontario Canada Rss Feed