General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-01 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Subject: Wetsuit advice
Can anyone recommend a decent wetsuit for a beginner triathlete? I don't need one for racing yet, since my first race is the last week of July, but I joined a local masters team that swims at the YMCA until June, then does open water swims all summer. They recommended I buy a sleeveless wetsuit to start. I'm hoping to find the cheapest one possible that will serve my purposes while I'm still a newbie. I'm not too keen on the idea of used wetsuits because I know neoprene requires a lot of care (I'm a kayaker and I bought a sprayskirt that wasn't care for properly) and I'd prefer buying a new one anyway. Are there decent ones that cost around $100?

2010-05-01 1:19 AM
in reply to: #2829884

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Wetsuit advice
Sometimes you can pick up a "last year's model" wetsuit at your local tri store for a good price.

Also, the NeoSport brand are some of the least expensive out there (at least they were a couple years ago) and very good quality.

But... Can you rent one from a local tri shop?
2010-05-01 1:42 AM
in reply to: #2829891

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Thanks for the advice! I'd rent one if it was only for a race or two, but I definitely won't need one for my race. The past few years, the water temp at this race was in the low 80's. The Masters team I joined does open water swims starting in June. I swam with a team in high school, but I've never done open water swims, so I think it will help me a lot to join them. They do drills swimming around buoys, and swimming "on top" of each other, which I definitely need to get used to doing. Since I'll be swimming twice a week (maybe more) in the LI Sound, it probably makes sense to buy my own wetsuit. Plus, I'm hooked already, and I'm considering signing up for my second Olympic tri in September. So I should probably just invest in a decent "entry-level" wetsuit. I'll look into NeoSport.
2010-05-02 9:30 AM

New user

Xterra is offering a $99 entry level suit, sleeveless.
http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/catalog/categories/mens/wetsuits/volt/volt/

I don't know how good it is, I am also on the hunt for my first wetsuit.  There is an add on this site that give 50% off at Xterra for members of this forum, but it does not apply to the Volt.  I believe the  one with sleeves is $400, but you do get 50% off with that one. 
2010-05-04 1:55 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
If you buy a suit with cold water swims in mind think sleeves.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit advice Rss Feed