General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Sizing Chart........No Good! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-01 11:11 PM

User image

Regular
The Ottawa Valley, ON
Subject: Wetsuit Sizing Chart........No Good!
SO I'm pretty pumped I just bought my first full sleeve wetsuit for the season.  I went with the Zoot Synergy.  I probably tried on 8 wetsuits in total, different sizes but I liked the Zoot best and stayed with them.  I thought to go with the sizing chart at first to give me a start, I quickly learned that it doesn't match the same for my body shape.  I'm 5'9' and weigh 163lbs and I ended up with a Large wetsuit.  It fits like a glove too.  Yeah, the height/weight may say one thing but it really depends on the shape of ones body and how the suit fits to the athlete.  My advice to anyone is to always try the suit on first before buying it.  The large is suppose to fit someone b/w 5'10"-6'3" and weighs 195-213lbs.  I'm not even close to those numbers.  Glad I didn't buy online....lol! 
Anyone else out there have similar stories about sizing charts and what worked for them??

2010-05-02 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2830942

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Wetsuit Sizing Chart........No Good!
Yup, I'm in the same boat.  I wear a Blue Seventy and ended up with a M-L even though up 6'5 and around 200 pounds.  I still can't believe this and this size does fix me great.  I agree that you're better off getting a wetsuit locally if possible as opposed to online.
2010-05-02 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2831034

Expert
Or get a Desoto that allows you to mix and match top and bottom and size each one appropriately.  Two-piece wetsuits rock.
2010-05-02 1:47 PM

User image

Sacramento, CA
I had the same problem with the Zoot Fusion and I bought online. I'm 5'9" 175 lbs. and got the appropriate suit based on the sizing chart. I barely got it over my shoulders. Next one, I will definitely be buying from a store. I'm currently looking at the TYR Hurricane.
2010-05-02 8:26 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I have an xterra, called the 800 number to verify sizing info and  bought a woman's medium with no try on.  Fits fine and I have never had a problem.  I gave them ht/wt/clothing size and where most of the weight resides on my frame so we could come up with something that worked. (For inquiring minds that means 5'5"....138 lb......weight in the upper legs size 4 self....)
2010-05-02 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2831456

User image

Regular
The Ottawa Valley, ON
Yeah, I orginally tried on the Zoot Fusion and I loved the way it felt compared to the Ironman suits.  I even tried a Lg on for the Fusion and I didn't like how constricted my neck was.  Every where else felt great except my neck.  So I went up in quality but stayed with a Lg and tried the Synergy and they built in less neck constriction for that suit!  Good to go, I think b/c I have a bigger chest/arms then most guys my height/weight I needed to go up in size as per the sizing chart. 
I wanted to try on one of the TYR Hurricanes but they didn't have any at my local shop.  I heard they are pretty checked out!

2010-05-02 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Wetsuit sizing is so varied.  It not only depends on the manufacturer and the fit model that they used, but it also depends on the how muscle/fat is distributed on the person buying the suit.  A 5'4", 120 lb pear shaped female is not going to fit into the same wetsuit as a 5'4", 120 lb. inverted triangle female (swimmer build).

I wear a DeSoto Speed Tube and Speedvest.  They are two different sizes.  I love that DeSoto offers this option AND the fact that they will go to the ends of the Earth to work with you and make sure that you have a proper fit.

Recently I purchased a Xterra Velocity Speedsuit (right before WTC announced their rule change) in a women's size Small/Medium which is where I fell on their sizing chart (5'5", 120-121 lb).  My weight was actually on the low end of their scale for this size, but when when the suit came in I couldn't even get it over my thighs.  It would not budge.  At all.  A dear friend from out of state sent me her women's size Medium... and voila... a snug, but proper fit. 

So yes, I agree... when in doubt, try it on. Expos are great for this, even if you aren't in the market at the time OR better yet, work with a company like DeSoto or Xterra who have great exchange policies and will actually let you swim in the darn thing before making a final decision. 
2010-05-06 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2831456

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
seal6770 - 2010-05-02 1:47 PM

I had the same problem with the Zoot Fusion and I bought online. I'm 5'9" 175 lbs. and got the appropriate suit based on the sizing chart. I barely got it over my shoulders. Next one, I will definitely be buying from a store. I'm currently looking at the TYR Hurricane.

What size Fusion did you buy? I'm the exact same measurements (maybe 1/2" smaller).

Thanks,
Kevin
2010-05-06 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque

Haha, this drove me crazy when I was looking at wetsuit sizing charts prior to buying one!  I'm 6'0, which wasn't even on the size charts at all for some women's suits first of all, and I have a really long torso, so I had absolutely no idea what would fit.  I ended up just going into the TriSports store and trying on just about every wetsuit they had in stock to see how they differed.  In some suits, I would need a L, in some, an XL for the length.  And then some that were long enough for me were too baggy in the middle!  It was such a headache.  I finally ended up with the Zoot Zenith, which fits me really well... but yeah, it wasn't easy to find the right one!

2010-05-06 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2842341

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
The problem I have is there is no store within about 3 hrs driving distance that sell wetsuits...

Kevin
2010-05-06 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Yeh this can be a real pain.
My first wetsuit I bought at a store so I could try on - and I spent about 2 hours choosing! So I ended up with a Nineteen which I've been very happy with.   The funny thing is that in normal tri suit clothing I'm a small and for the wetsuit I ended up with a womans Large.  I'm 5'8" and 140lb.  I'm not overweight so it makes me wonder what the larger ladies would have to buy! (although I guess I have good child bearing hips as they say - tried and tested!)

If you buy online most of the brands have excellent customer service help. I've bought an xterra one but haven't yet received it.  There were quite a few emails back and forth from very helpful reps before I chose a size.  Hope it fits!

2010-05-07 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2842244

User image

Sacramento, CA
Kevin_MS - 2010-05-06 5:25 PM
seal6770 - 2010-05-02 1:47 PM I had the same problem with the Zoot Fusion and I bought online. I'm 5'9" 175 lbs. and got the appropriate suit based on the sizing chart. I barely got it over my shoulders. Next one, I will definitely be buying from a store. I'm currently looking at the TYR Hurricane.
What size Fusion did you buy? I'm the exact same measurements (maybe 1/2" smaller). Thanks, Kevin

I believe I got the Medium/Large. I sold it a few months back and am preparing to buy a new suit.

I spent months before I bought it doing some hard lifting and then when I got the Zoot, I couldn't get it over my upper body without a struggle. Once I got in the water, I couldn't even hold my breath for two seconds. 
2010-05-07 7:14 PM

Regular
I have purchased several wet suits.  All online.  The one that I had the biggest problem with by far was the Zoot.  Used their sizing chart and it was not close to fitting.  I got an incredible discount but had to send it back.  Tried the next size up and it was also too small.  It was also the only entry level suit that I own.  I gave up on Zoot figuring it just not made for my body shape.

I have several suits, speed and wetsuits from Xterra and they fit perfectly.  Think it is just lucky that the way they make them fits my build really, really well.  Three of them are MLO.  For some reason I also have one M Xterra that does not fit.  I was really between sizes and the MLO is perfect and the M is not.  I need to contact Xterra and see if they would still let me exchange.  

I purchased a DeSoto online after calling them and giving all my measurements and it is a very good fit.  Not as good as the Xterra MLO but good.  I also have a Desoto speedtube and it is a little too small but I am also bigger right now.

The three wet suit providers I have worked with are pretty easy to work with.  Xterra will actually allow you to swim in the wetsuit and still return, I believe.  Zoot would not but I could not even get the thing on so there was no question.  

Most you can actually get two sizes and then keep the better fitting one. 

I recommend purchasing online.  I also highly recommend Xterra.  They run good deals and are easy to deal with.  You will get a better suit for the same money locally.  My 2nd choice would be DeSoto.  What is great about DeSoto is the two piece design.

2010-05-10 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
I went into a local store to try on a Nineteen wetsuit and I was sure that by the size chart I would be a woman's XL.  The girl looked at me and said no, probably not (I'm 5'8", 170bls so right at the top of the 'XL' range for these suits).  I tried on the entry level suit and there was too much room throughout the shoulders but when I tried to go to the L it was too tight through my hips and my arms.  The suit in next level pricepoint is made with much stretchier material and the large fit me like a glove (maybe a tad snug in the hips but I'm looking to loose another 10 pounds).  I wasn't happy about spending more money but knew I would be unhappy to settle for the cheaper but ill-fitting wetsuit.  I know now that I could never buy off the internet based on the size chart (which was my original plan since there aren't many options for wetsuits in my area).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Sizing Chart........No Good! Rss Feed