General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight and Strength Loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-03 3:47 PM

Subject: Weight and Strength Loss
I don't care about the benefits of weight lifting for triathlons. Just want to get that out of the way as I don't want that to be part of the discussion.

Here's the deal.  I'm 6 ft and have dropped from 175ish to 166ish.  Before this year I used to lift.  My routine now only includes 2 days of lifting where I use muscle groups (chest +tris and back+ bis). I do not work legs as I believe it would interfere with running and cycling too much.

So my issue is that I have lost weight and my weight has gone down for some excersizes.  I previously switched between two different lifting routines depending on my schedule.  Either every other day (included a legs day) or 3 days a week.  I don't want to lose my upper body strength. I would like to either be able to maintain my muscle mass.

Any tips? I'm thinking I might be low on calories, but not sure.

I don't use the workout tracker here.

edit: Largest weight decrease has been in flat bench.

Edited by privateer 2010-05-03 3:53 PM

2010-05-03 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2834180

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Weight and Strength Loss
I don't have an answer for you, but just thought I would offer the suggestion that you might get some good suggestions if you post this question over on the Strength Training forum.
2010-05-03 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
IMO, if you are still doing some weight lifting, but are losing body weight somewhat quickly, your decrease in strength is likely related to nutrition. Even with losing body weight one should be able to maintain strength if they are at least doing a maintenance weight training program. I have lost over 50 pounds but am stronger than I was but I have had a HUGE focus on my nutrition along the way. Hope you get it figured out!
2010-05-04 9:25 AM

Can a moderator please move this to strength training so I don't double post?
2010-05-04 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
privateer - 2010-05-03 4:47 PM I don't care about the benefits of weight lifting for triathlons. Just want to get that out of the way as I don't want that to be part of the discussion.

Here's the deal.  I'm 6 ft and have dropped from 175ish to 166ish.  Before this year I used to lift.  My routine now only includes 2 days of lifting where I use muscle groups (chest +tris and back+ bis). I do not work legs as I believe it would interfere with running and cycling too much.

So my issue is that I have lost weight and my weight has gone down for some excersizes.  I previously switched between two different lifting routines depending on my schedule.  Either every other day (included a legs day) or 3 days a week.  I don't want to lose my upper body strength. I would like to either be able to maintain my muscle mass.

Any tips? I'm thinking I might be low on calories, but not sure.

I don't use the workout tracker here.

edit: Largest weight decrease has been in flat bench.

You have lost 10lbs... strength and size, although not uniform, are relative things. It makes sense that you cannot lift as much.

If you want to maintain your muscle mass, it is 90% related to your nutrition (it's too low as it stands) and about 10% related to what your workout schedule looks like (including tri training / cardio / weights... it's going to be hard to keep upper body mass lifting 2x a week if you tri train 5-10x a week for distances, especially if your nutrition is wack.)

Lift big, eat big. That is the only way to maintain / gain strength.

Start keeping a log. Exercises and Food. It will make a difference. Keep both logs for a month, weigh once a week, take measurements at the start and end of the month, then report back here and we'll see what's going on.
2010-05-04 1:19 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Body might be using lean muscle for fuel, if your body fat is low.  make sure you hit yur calories, make sure you feed the body plenty of protien, to rebuild / maintain the lean mass.

2010-05-04 1:34 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I recall reading that the bench press is the most "sensitive" to changes in weight and if you lose weight your bench starts to tank. Having said that, at 6' 175, you weren't that massive to begin with. What is your lifting routine like? Go ahead and start a new thread in the strength training forum and we'll figure out what to do to get your strength back up.
2010-05-04 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I lifted weights for years and just picked up the Tri sport. I agree 100% that your diet is the key. Make sure you get enough protein, if not your body will steal the protein from your muscles and you will lose strength. I take a protein shake in the morning before my work out and one after the work out. I eat five times a day with protein, veg, and/or fruit with each meal. Good luck and stay fit and strong.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight and Strength Loss Rss Feed