General Discussion Race Reports! » Freshwater Trust Portland Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Freshwater Trust Portland Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portland, Oregon
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 46s
Overall Rank = 109/333
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well, too excited for my 1st triathlon. After about 3.5 hours of rest, got up and ate oatmeal and 1/2 cup of coffee. Dressed for the swim in sports bra, tri shorts and swimsuit under warmups with flip-flop shoes. Loaded bike and gear and drove down to the waterfront w/my sister(her 1st tri, too:) We got our ink on and set-up our bikes and gear in the transition area. Made a trip to the porta potty and went back to transition area to hear the pre-race announcements that we couldn't hear from there, anyways. Headed down to the river when transition area closed.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 16m 11s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water temp was great but I was cold waiting to get in. I was last down the ramp and unable to find an opening to hop in so I waited till my wave took off to jump in and take off myself. I also stopped and told my sis to put her goggles on to and wished her good luck after we started. After I got my bearings I began to move ahead. Once I saw a hole I moved forward into it without too much trouble. After rounding the buoys I focused on head down swimming and trusting my direction. I couldn't see the people in front of me until I was right on their feet. I didn't really turn on the speed.
What would you do differently?:

I would get in the water as soon as possible. I would swim head down fast right at the get go and sight after about 200m. I would not hold back swimming on such a short distance, but since this was my first race I was not mentally in the game. My time was slow compared to pool swimming/training times.
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

I exited the river up a 2X4 ladder and grabbed the hand of someone assisting people out of the water. I sort of jogged/walked up the ramp and continued in that fashion into transition to my bike. I pulled off my cap and swim suit, attempted to dry my muddy feet and couldn't get my socks on. I pulled on my tri/tanktop shirt and put on my helmet but couldn't get my gloves on. Shoes went on easily. Debated bringing my sunglasses and grabbed the chews to eat on the bike. I flipped through my stuff considering other snacks. I looked for my sister coming and then decided to get going. I hobbled out of transition with my cycling shoes on and hopped on my bike where I was instructed to do so.

I would not hang out and look for anyone. I really didn't get that I was racing. I would run into transition, pull off my cap & suit on the way. I may wear easier socks to put on or none and I could wear a looser shirt, easier to pull on. I would also run out and jump on my bike, worry about clipping in down the road.
Bike
  • 58m 8s
  • 16.4 miles
  • 16.93 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was fun and the course was great. I did not know where the hill was going to be and I did not have any trouble with it. I was able to pass riding up the hill on both loops. The first loop I was "stuck" behind people on the descent and I learned to pass on the second loop. My chain fell off from poor shifting coming down the last hill on Naito and I had to get off to fix it. I ate some chews on the bike and drink about 20-25oz water. I didn't start treating it like a race till the second loop of the bike course.

I would go faster. I will pass when I can on the descent. I need to practice riding faster and become more comfortable with going fast down hills. I really don't know why I held back besides I was not thinking about this being a race until after I saw my times. Now I am thinking differently about the whole thing. More competitively.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I really started to get in the game after the bike. I was sort of racing by the end of the bike portion and thought I should get my shoes on and run. I had no trouble changing shoes and heading out for the run. I did have to pee and didn't want to stop so I left without dealing.

I would pee during the swim and maybe get out of my shoes while still on the bike. At least I can practice this technique for the next time.
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't get my legs to work for about 1/2 a mile. I was dragging them along with me and shocked how spent I felt. It wasn't sure what was going to happen on the run but I had a deal with myself to run the course and if that happened it would be a success. I am very happy with my run and couldn't really ask for more considering I just started running for sport in March. I passes some men and two women, one in my age group. Sister passed me around mile 2 with a squeeze of my left cheek. She was gliding along gracefully and her big smile inspired me to keep going. Next year will be a whole lot of fun. I was excited to see the finish coming and couldn't wait to be done until it was done and then I wanted to do it again. Sister was waiting for me with a huge smile and a hug when I arrived.

I got a side ache during the second 1.5 miles. I would not wait to go to the bathroom and I would maybe avoid the food and Heed being offered along the course. I think I could use the water, but my food needs to happen while I am on the bike. I drank tons of water the day before the race and I think that I do best when I hydrate the day before heavily and then moderately during the run. Too much food or water while running and I get side aches.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the site, drank all of the water in the cool stainless steel water bottle I was handed and drank all the remaining water in my bike bottles. Sister and I visited with other racers and then went for the gelato. Signed up for a massage, found hubby and drank a beer. I felt really good until the high wore off, then I felt like I had not slept the night before.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not racing until the end of the second bike loop. I learned so much from this first experience. I am going to work on speed in all events this winter. I had to pee the whole time and didn't do anything about that. I need to take off faster and then maintain instead of the other way around.

Event comments:

I wold love to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2010-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:11 | 800 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 55/333
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Rectangular out and back under the Hawthorne Bridge rounding two buoys just past the bridge before heading back to the marina.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:08 | 16.4 miles | 16.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 141/333
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 16.4 miles gradual uphill for about 4-5 miles and then a steep hill. Descent is about 2-3 miles through curving tree covered streets. Awesome bike course. Most of the road was great. A couple of really tight turns that require slowing to a crawl. Once really bad section of the road that sucks to go over. Tons of debris from other riders on the second loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:37 | 03.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 117/333
Performance: Good
Course: One loop over the Hawthorne Bridge past 2 bridges and over the Steele Bridge back to transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes