General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diet plan during recovery from ankle surgery! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-05 9:00 AM

New user

Subject: Diet plan during recovery from ankle surgery!
Hello All,

First time poster!  I recently had ankle surgery and I have another 4-5 weeks of no weight bearing :-( , now when I started I was 264 lbs @ 5'9" .. oouch! was down to 185 lbs... with great other stats Rest HR, improving MaxVO2, etc...

Problem is I am reversing the graph ... adding weight etc....

Any thoughts on a diet that would help slow/stop the slide....

Thanks

2010-05-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2838089

Subject: RE: Diet plan during recovery from ankle surgery!
First of all congrats on your weight loss, that was a great job.

Since your not able to do all the cardio you are used to, I would cut way back on the carbs.  Adding more protein may keep cravings in check.  Are you still trying to do upper body weight training?  Keeping that muscle mass up will help keep your metabolism revved.  Do you have access to one of those arm bicycle thingamajigs (you pedal with your arms), maybe at the gym or at the PT office if you are going?  That may help keep up your cardiovascular fitness.

I would still eat 5-6 small meals, but I would try to eat less at each one.  Definitely stay away from sugar.  Also, try to fidget as much as possible.  While watching TV wave your arms around and clench different parts of your body.  Little things can really add up.

I hope your ankle heals soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diet plan during recovery from ankle surgery! Rss Feed