General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-09 12:00 AM

User image

spokane, WA
Subject: Help
Hi, My name is Kimbely. I have just decided to start doing triathlons just about a week ago and am on a quest for information. My long term goal is in five years to be in an ironman. I know everyone is falling down laughing right now. I unfortanatly can not afford a coach or any of the traing plans, but I have no idea where to begin. Any advice would be apprciated. Thank you in advance.
Kim

2004-04-09 12:16 AM
in reply to: #17457

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Help

welcome..a five year ironman plan is very smart...not laughing at all.  gives you about a year for each distances of  sprint, oly, 1/2 then full 

tell us your background and what your current levels of activity are and perhaps we can recommend a program off the main site.

2004-04-09 12:25 AM
in reply to: #17459

User image

spokane, WA
I am strongest on the bike. I have been riding a good eight years, but not race quality. I did 150 m in the pool tonight, but i had a big dinner so it was really bad. I don't run well, my husband says I look like a dork when I run. I know my form is really bad. I need to get some equipment like a wetsuit and good running shoes. How can anyone afford this sport?
2004-04-09 9:27 AM
in reply to: #17461

Expert
Princeton, MN
heatheryan - 2004-04-08 11:25 PM

I need to get some equipment like a wetsuit and good running shoes. How can anyone afford this sport?

Kimberly;
Welcome aboard. I too am training on a budget. If you are looking for a deal on a wetsuit try to find a last years model. I got a 2003 Quintana Roo Ultrafull wetsuit for less than half the price of a 2004 model. I got it from www.nytrosports.com. For shoes, you HAVE to get a good pair of shoes, and get fitted properly at a proper athletic shoe store. Believe me your feet will thank you in the end. Keep asking the questions.

Ian

Edited by lincsguyus 2004-04-09 9:29 AM
2004-04-09 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
Hey Kimberly,

If you husband tells you that you look like a dork when you run, tell him that he just looks like a dork. On that note, to improve your form, try doing different exercises that will work on it. Find yourself a nice football field or long grassy area, kick off your shoes and try the following:

High Knees: Go across the field trying to bring your knees up higher than normal.

Butt Kicks: When going across the field, try to kick your butt with each foot as you bring it backwards.

Skips: There are a few different versions you can do. 1) Skip, lifting yourself high with a large arm swing. 2) Skip fast, with a shortened arm swing.

Backwards Run: If you do this it will work on your quads and help you develop better form.

Also, make sure to possibly do some lifting or even core stengthening (in the middle region of your body) to help improve your form as well. With a better running form you will be able to save more energy while running so that you have it at the end. Good luck.

Cory
2004-04-09 9:58 AM

Nice tips Cory -- thanks. I don't know how much of these I can (properly) do, but will try a few anyway. I too need all the help I can get with running.:-<b></b>(

2004-04-09 10:21 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi and welcome! Maybe hold off on the wetsuit for a year if you can - of course that depends on where you are and water temps. But good shoes are a must! Check out the main website for training plans. Have you decided on a race (or 2) this year? What distance?

Good luck! :-)
2004-04-09 10:28 AM

User image

spokane, WA
Hi,
I posted all my races this year on the log. Talk about taking on a lot before you know what your doing! ;-)
2004-04-09 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Welcome! The information here (couch to sprint, etc.) is very helpful. There are a number of veterans here, who are more than glad to offer suggestions and advice.

Best advice so far: DON'T give up! Keep working at it, accept and overcome small setbacks, and stay focused on the goal. Don't worry about spending a ton of money on training and equipment. For your first tri, a bike, a swimsuit and good running shoes are all you'll really need.

Good luck!
2004-04-09 7:07 PM

User image

Central Louisiana

Ditto Joe!  Couldn't have said it any better! Welcome to the board Kimbely.

2004-04-09 9:51 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Welcome to the BTers

2004-04-10 9:38 AM

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
hi.
5 years is a very long time ,so many things can be changed.
i have a freind who didn't run at all , and he entered a special progarm and finished a marathon 16 monthes after he started ( and took off 15kg as well).
don't worry if you cant pay a coach, the folks here will help you and they give great advices over here.
good luck in your jurney.
2004-04-10 2:40 PM

, Alabama

Kimberly, there is nothing wrong wtih a IM in 5 years starting from scratch.  I had only done 3 sprint tri's before my kids came along.  It was 8 years later (they were then 5 and 8) when I decided to tri again with sprints I didn't think my knee could take more than 5K at a time, but I like longer races so tris were logical to me.  For me, it was almost like starting from scratch.  By the time they were 7 and 10, I had just turned 40 and did complete an IM, so that's basically with 2 1/2 years training.  I am also on my own for most of the training. 

There is always help around.  Look for a local running and/or cycling club.  Annual memberships for the clubs is usually reasonable and there are at least one group rides/runs every week from most clubs.  The experienced members are always willing to help out new folks with questions, and the camraderie is great.  For swimming, there are a lot of master's swim teams around.  Being with other people makes the workouts go faster.

Best of luck.

Sharon

2004-04-10 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi Kimberly, you've come to the right place! I am amazed at the vast amount of info. (technical and good old common sense) on this site. Also the encouragement can't be beat! I'm sorry your hubby thinks you look dorky. Some things are better left unsaid, yes? Don't let ANYone bust your dream! Encourage him to train with you (and perhaps smoke his doors off soon?!) ok, about equipment. I don't have any extra $$ to spend on equipment either! I have a Toy R Us bike, a baggy swim suit, and ran in lousy crosstrainers until I could afford a good pair of shoes (cross trainers- not so smart, but oh how lovely my new shoes make my legs feel . I do, however, have great dreams of a kick-butt bike, and other assorted equipment. My first tri is May 2, and I will buy a sleek and shiny swimsuit by then. But until, perhaps even I look dorky (woe to anyone who speaks it aloud!!). but a very happy and determined dork I am! Have fun!!
2004-04-10 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
FIT and Happy Dorks Rule !
2004-04-11 10:01 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Welcome Kim!

You can do it!  Getting started is the hard part, and you have done that - its all easy from here on

Start slow, think endurance/distance as opposed to speed, be steady/regular/committed, and HAVE FUN.
Having fun and enjoying the exercise/benefits is what will pull you through.

Again, welcome to the board.

Dan

2004-04-11 4:13 PM

Heather! Congratulations on taking the first step! As far as your "5 year Ironman plan," there's nothing at all wrong with that. As noted earlier, it does give you ample time to start off slow, and gradually increase the race distances.

Regarding triathlon spending: I did my first triathlon on a cheapster loaner bike where the gear changing was still on the bottom tube of the bike, and heavy. I borrowed a helmet, had no wetsuit (the water was freeeeeezzzing!) and some old running shoes.

You honestly don't have to go out spending a fortune. What I don't like are those who happen to have enough money, and go out buying all top-of-the line products, but can't ride a lick, or don't really plan on racing any big races.

That said: yes, you really do want to invest in a decent pair of running shoes (roadrunnersports.com), and get yourself analysed by a shoe expert. As far as cyclilng goes: you can use whatever you've got! Wetsuits aren't a necessity unless you're planning to race in March/April or early Autumn, or in a 1/2 Ironman or Ironman distance race. I never got a wetsuit until I had to race in an Ironman.

As far as training plans go: I offer free advice to anyone who would like it. I have made a beginner's training plan on my triathlon club's website: http://www.triwisconsin.org just click on "Beginners" at the top of the page. And, feel free to email and pester me all you want. ([email protected])

This is all I'll say for now. Again, feel free to contact me whenever you need anything.
2004-04-11 7:37 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Welcome to the site.  Loads of good info here, so just look around.  Loads of good people, too.

I wouldn't worry too much about all of the equipment.  I've trained for almost a year and the only thing that I had to buy was a pair of shoes when my other ones wore out.  I just used whatever swimming gear I had and the $79 mountain bike that was in the garage.  If you are on the five year plan, you'll probably spend a lot of time in the pool - I think wetsuits are options, not requirements, especially for getting started.  The big thing right now is to just get out and do it.

I started with the book 'Triathlon Training in 4 hours a week" by Eric Haar.  Good plans there and advice on pretty much everything - but that was before I found this site.  This site has a lot of good information, but some people prefer to have a book or something to put their hands on.

As far as the dork thing goes, I went to a triathlon camp put on by a buy who does Ultraman events.  These guys make triathletes look reasonably sane.  It's like double Ironman events in two days or so - completely ridiculous distances.  Anyway, he looks kind of dorkish when he runs, but it didn't bother me for very long - I couldn't see him after about five minutes (just plain couldn't keep up with him).  Looking good, kind of like having all the really neat, expensive gear, is optional in my book.

Train hard and enjoy the benefits.  That's what it's all about.

TB

2004-04-12 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Kim, best of luck. I am new as well and my long term goal is to complete an IM in 4 years. This is a great site w/ tons of people who are extremely helpful.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Help Rss Feed