General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question for the ladies please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-09 12:18 AM

Subject: A question for the ladies please
I just signed up for my first tri, the Danskin series here in Orlando. I used to run marathons, but got sidetracked when I got sick.

About seven years ago I was diagnosed with a rare breast cancer. After much treatment, the outcome is that I am alive, but with a concave chest. No boobs. None. Not even a hint. I don't have a problem with it. Since the choice was dead with boobs or potentially alive without, the decision took me about a half a second to make. Reconstruction was not an option as the rads damaged the skin too badly.

When I run, it is just in a t-shirt. When I bike and run in a swimsuit, how much if any chafing is there going to be? My concern is developing a hot spot or a raw area. I don't feel the vast majority of my chest and the back/underside of my arms because of all the surgery and rads, so I wouldn't necessarily even know there was a hot spot forming until it had already formed and since healing is very slow, that would almost eliminate training until it had healed.

I don't train with successive events because I work full-time and go to school full-time getting my engineering degree, so training is crammed in with early morning and late nights. It isn't possible to swim and then run with the training I do now.

Is there something I can apply to prevent the possiblility or a particular suit that would surely prevent this or am I making something out of nothing?

Leighsah

2004-04-09 12:57 AM
in reply to: #17460

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-09 7:07 AM

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: A question for the ladies please
hiya Leighsah,
How great to have you here! I am amazed at your courage and your positive outlook on life, especially with the hand you've been dealt. I think you'll find this site to be a great source of inspiration, hope, and encouragement. It appears that you will also be a great source of strength for "the team" as well.

Dana was right when she mentioned Body Glide. Play around with it on shorter runs and see how it works for you. And welcome!
2004-04-09 7:36 AM

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Hi Leighsah,
Welcome to the TriSpot. Happy inaugural post!

I agree with the suggestion of Body Glide to prevent (and treat) chaffing.
Slide it on the inside of your biceps, back of your armpits, suit collar and groin or any other high risk spots.
Especially if you don't have much sensation in these areas. Better to err on the cautious side.
From experience, this is where I have been chaffed at different points in training.

Ironically, I have a hot spot today on the inside of my thigh that I got from biking this week.
I put the Body Glide on it as treatment as well. It has Vitamin E and aloe in it so helps healing.

Body Glide is available in most running or cycling stores. It looks like a stick of deodarant.
It is colorless so you can put it anywhere!

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Let us know how you progress!

2004-04-09 11:48 AM

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA

Hi there. I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but thought I would pass on my two cents.  You are free to take it for what it is worth!  When we ran in 5K last week, my husband chaffed really badly on the inside of his thigh.  It ended up being much colder than anticipated and he put on windpants OVER his running shorts.  He hadn't planned on doing this and I think he was too bulky and it just aggravated his leg. He is pretty sure it was the seem on his underwear.  So, he went to our running/fitness store and asked the clerk.  He advised a pair of running tights made by "Insport."  I have since thrown away the tags, but it said on the tag "Anti-chaffing running pants" or something like that. 

Can't say how well it works.  It looks like they are made of the same stuff as everything else, but the seems are really flat, so maybe that is the only differnce.  I don't know, but maybe someone at a specialty store could help you out with the clothing that would be least likely to cause a problem.  It sure seems like they make something to help any problem you could have (anti blister socks, antichaffing shorts, etc.) that you might be able to find something.  Whether or not they would prove necessary may be of debate, but I would rather err of the side of comfort and caution.  Better to waste a little money than be sidelined while you heal.  Especially if it is and extended hiatus. 

Another piece of possibly unhelpful advice is to look at the different products for diaper rash, etc.  There are several that are like Petroleum jelly that is supposed to soothe and protect skin.  Pretty greasy and ooey, but might be helpful in covering large areas.  They have come a long way since Desitin.  I dunno. I am not much help, but I do want to tell you that I admire your courage and I find it very inspiring.  Good Luck!

2004-04-09 11:50 AM

Port Royal, SC
Leighsah,
I'm new to the tri board myself but have quite a bit of experience with the running/marathon training. All of the advice about the Body Glide is right on. I've tried a few things but it works the absolute best.
Good luck to you in your training and in your school. I'm sure it's hard to keep them both up but it'll be well worth it.
Best to you, Tammy

2004-04-09 12:39 PM

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I'm a breast cancer survivor, too. I still have boobs, but I'm distinctly lopsided. I did ask before the surgery if they could put 'em back where they used to be 20 years ago, but somehow they didn't think that was a priority. Alas....

I don't think you're going to get any chafing from your swim suit. It shouldn't be moving around. But here's the exception and it goes in the "don't make the same mistake I made" category. If you buy one of the chlorine-resistant swimsuits -which work beautifully- you need to buy a size larger than you would regularly buy. They make the suits without spandex, which is what chlorine "eats", so that's how they last longer. But without the all-way stretch... well, it's not a pretty picture if your suit is too small. Under those circumstances, you could get chafing under the arms and where the leg seams are around your thigh. And of course that kind of chafing could be way more than an inconvenience for you.

And if you're biking in your swimsuit, I bow to your body confidence. I figure that I can't be responsible for the psychiatric damage I could do to innocent bystanders if they saw ME try that. Well, I DO it, but I pull on a t-shirt and shorts over it. Getting my transition times down is the least of my troubles at this point.

Andrea
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question for the ladies please Rss Feed