General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A great run yesterday. :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-09 7:41 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: A great run yesterday. :-)
First of all, YEAH -- I just found out that I got into the Peachtree Road Race (10k)!!!!! I will be one of 55,000 hoofing their way through the hot, humid ATL on July 4th!

Anyway, I figured that this race would be a good jumpstart to the rest of my tri training. So, I've been working on my endurance using a combo of the couch to sprint training and some 10k training programs I found. I really want to get through this 10k without walking, preferably at a decent (for me) clip.

Yesterday, I went for a run outside on a fairly flat paved trail, but didn't think I'd do as well as I've been doing on the treadmill. Though I went a little further than I'd planned on, I tried to keep my pace up. It seems to me that when you run slower than a certain point, it actually takes more energy.

When I started, I had a 2.5 min warmup and ran 25 min then walked 2.5 min and ran the rest of the way. I ended up going 3.2 miles in 32 minutes, even with the walking! Thats a 10 min mile! Even when I was running cross country in high school, I barely went that fast in my BEST race -- and that was without walking.

I am so unbelievably excited that I'm tearing up. It may not seem very fast to the speed demons, but I never thought that only 2.5 weeks into training, I'd be able to beat my high school best. Geez, I might even be able to keep up with my mother now! ;-)

Well, only 3 miles more to add to that number by July. At least now I really think I can do it! I'm thinking I'll go for another run today -- but maybe make it easier so I don't mess anything up.

2004-04-09 7:47 AM
in reply to: #17480

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: A great run yesterday. :-)
Way to go, Whit! Congratulations on your progress.
You are on track to have a great race come July.
Be careful not to increase your weekly total mileage more than 10% each week and keep some cut back weeks in there too and you won't "mess anything up". Keep up the good work!

2004-04-09 7:53 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
congratulations on getting in to PeachTree! I hear that's like trying to get into the Falmouth Road Race around here. I don't even have an app yet, but it should be here very soon.

Are you sore at all from running outside instead of the treadmill? My quads are killing me today!
2004-04-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #17483

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: ---

Edited by Whit 2004-04-09 8:12 AM
2004-04-09 8:11 AM
in reply to: #17483

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Nope, I'm not sore. I feel a very small amount of muscle fatigue (just enough so I know I did something). Yesterday, though, my knees hurt a bit and my arms sure felt like lead weights while I was running (did full upper body weights yesterday). I've always done weight lifting and usually do legs hard enough to be sore the next day, so those are pretty well taken care of. On my first runs (on the treadmill), however, my hip flexors and the side of my glutes were sore.

Most of my trouble running comes from my knees and lungs. The majority of the cardio I've done up to this point as been at the so called "weight loss" level, which is below the cardio level, meaning that those are my most underdeveloped muscles. I'm probably going a bit high on my heart rate, but I slow down when I feel like I'm really overdoing it.

The funniest thing, though, is my face turns beet red when I've been running and when I get home, DH thinks it means I'm about to pass out. He's never seen my mom after she runs so he doesn't realize it's normal for us.

Has the weather just started warming up there? High today here is 76. I need to start running outside as much as possible so I can adequately acclimate to the heat. Otherwise, I'll feel like I'm jogging through soup in July.
2004-04-09 8:26 AM

Champion
Congrats on the great run Whit. I know how you feel, it's wonderful when it comes together and some days you seem like you're invincible! Shows you're really making progress. And nope, it's not getting much warmer up here...Ellen and I are stuck in the deep freeze. Well, maybe not that bad, but it's been in the 30's at 8:00 in the morning here, warming up to around 50 during the day yesterday.

BTW Ellen, I see by the web site that they will mail out the Falmouth entries on May 1st so you got a few more weeks to wait.

Max

2004-04-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: #17488

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
it's supposed to reach the upper 50's today, but it's always a bit cooler where I am.

I just checked on the FRR apps too. I sent in my SASE for one and they'll send them out about 4/15. It used to be first come first serve, but they decided that wasn't fair to people who lived far away. So now it's a lottery. That means local people who've run this race for years may not get it. Of course for most of us locals there are always strings to pull, but I hope I don't have to go that route.

Max, how about having your wife wax those legs for you? I was thinking of going that route, but want someone else to be the guinea pig!
2004-04-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: #17491

Champion
TriMom217 - 2004-04-09 8:46 AM

Max, how about having your wife wax those legs for you? I was thinking of going that route, but want someone else to be the guinea pig!

LOL, some help you gals are...she suggested that she could use duct tape on me and rip it off like in those commercials for the hair removal tape! YIKES! I'm running for the razor right now!

Max
2004-04-09 9:40 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Whit;
Congratulations on a great run! I know exactly how you feel because yesterday I posted a best ever time for me. I ran 2 1/2 miles at 7:41 pace. I have been on a high ever since. I had previously run 2 miles at 8 min pace and was pleased with that. But this latest run was incredible. Previously while running all I had been able to hear was the thump, thump of my shoes on the ground and my heavy breathing. Yesterday I realized I was concentrating so well I couldn't hear those things. It rocked. I want more!!!
Well done again

Ian
2004-04-09 9:54 AM
in reply to: #17505

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Well done to you too!
I can't wait until I get to the point where I'm meditating while running. It sounds like that's what you were doing. I was doing pretty well to remind myself to just keep putting one leg in front of the other. On the plus side, however, I was able to focus on keeping pretty good form (at least I thought so) and didn't revert to letting my legs just flap about as I ran. I suppose that training to run is as much about training your mind as it is training your body.

Well, again, congratulations on your move to a "higher plane of conciousness."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A great run yesterday. :-) Rss Feed