2010-05-12 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2854617

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: 10 swimming myths....busted
Chaderbox - 2010-05-12 3:49 PM
klowman - 2010-05-12 3:19 PM Have a question though,

I'm following along with the logic or science of how this higher stroke count and method that Gary Hall, Sr. is talking about can make you swim faster, but is this the best technique to use to long-distance or endurance swimming?

I've read the last few posts from folks that they can hold around 80+ stroke count for a 100 yd. sprint but then that's about it.  I can understand how this could be a good technique for a short distance race, but is this also useful for longer distances, such as 1 mile, 2 miles, etc ....

Does it just take some practice to be able to sustain a high stroke count for 45-90 minutes or longer?

I was under the impression that he was talking about a drill, not a consistant swim at 80 stoke/100 all the time.

However, according to my wife, I'm always wrong, so that may well be the case here too.

He starts off by saying most of us don't know what an 80 or 90 stroke count feels like ... and he designed a drill to help you get there  ... incorporating the "dolphin kick" ... and once 1 kick syncs with 1 stroke then you are in the 80+ stroke range ... then he says now go back to flutter kick ... and later ... with practice you will be able to sustain this for a longer period of time ....

So my take was that the drill part is adding the dolphin kick ... but that once you learn or can do 80-90 strokes per minute, then keep practicing that until you can do it continously.

So, I still wonder if this is just a good technique for shorter distances like 1000m or 500m or less ... of if this is also meant for longer distances like in the longer distance triathlons?

2010-09-28 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2850067

I learned to swim just over a year ago with T.I. as my guide. I developed a very efficient stroke with consistant 15 strokes per 25yds and different people told me I looked great in the water. But I was very slow, had hit a plateu and I couldn't get clean breaths because of my slow velocity during the pause. Someone told m to try a shorter, faster stroke and it has transformed my swimming. I am still not fast but a good minute off my 400m race times and getting clean breaths makes me a believer.
2010-09-29 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2854896

New user
The 80 count is really not all that high, if you consider elite swimmers in the pool, doing distance events (800-1500). I have put together this blog post to summarize some work that I am interested in:

http://www.findingfreestyle.com/passive-technique-blog/strokeratesi...

For perspective, the rate of 80 spm is 0.75 seconds per arm pull, which translates to 1.5 seconds per cycle. In my blog post I use cycles per second (for the life of me I can not tell you why - I need to change that), so 80 spm is 0.7 cycles per second. That is actually near the MEDIAN side of stroke rates - think Katie Hoff, with folks like Peter Vanderkaay doing 0.6 cycles per second (slower rate 72 spm), and Kate Ziegler and Brooke Bennett coming in around 0.8-0.9 (~100 spm).

As for the dolphin kicking drill, that is a good one, don't know if he advocates doing it head-up, but that will REALLY get your stroke rate up there, and also teach you to catch more aggressively.

r.b.
2010-09-30 1:20 AM
in reply to: #3121743

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
gottavtr - 2010-09-28 10:41 AM

I learned to swim just over a year ago with T.I. as my guide. I developed a very efficient stroke with consistant 15 strokes per 25yds and different people told me I looked great in the water. But I was very slow, had hit a plateu and I couldn't get clean breaths because of my slow velocity during the pause. Someone told m to try a shorter, faster stroke and it has transformed my swimming. I am still not fast but a good minute off my 400m race times and getting clean breaths makes me a believer.

There are a number of posts on the TI forum under "Favorite Sets & Practices" that discuss the use of a tempo trainer to test and train faster arm turnovers and find your sweetspot so that you can create smart training sets targeted for improvement.

2010-09-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3125220

AdventureBear - 2010-09-30 2:20 AM
gottavtr - 2010-09-28 10:41 AMI learned to swim just over a year ago with T.I. as my guide. I developed a very efficient stroke with consistant 15 strokes per 25yds and different people told me I looked great in the water. But I was very slow, had hit a plateu and I couldn't get clean breaths because of my slow velocity during the pause. Someone told m to try a shorter, faster stroke and it has transformed my swimming. I am still not fast but a good minute off my 400m race times and getting clean breaths makes me a believer.
There are a number of posts on the TI forum under "Favorite Sets & Practices" that discuss the use of a tempo trainer to test and train faster arm turnovers and find your sweetspot so that you can create smart training sets targeted for improvement.
I have seen those but for most of us mortals that increase in stroke rate has to come at something. For me it is stroke length. I use the tempo trainer today and 70 spm was just slightly hard to do. That is about the rate I swim/race at.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 10 swimming myths....busted Rss Feed  

of 4