General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-09-21 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2851354

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship : Official Thread
Swam in the waterway about a mile north of there 2 months ago.  I live 30 mins away.  I am not a strong swimmer.  I swam 20 min with the current, then 20 min against the current and made only half the distance back.  Rode the kayak the rest of the way back.  Unless the weather forcast changes, wouldn't count on wetsuit.

Wish i could do the race.  Promised my wife to go out of town with her on that date.

2010-09-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3109645

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
pschriver - 2010-09-21 11:04 AM

I'm getting in on Fri. I would love to ride, but with bike check in ending at 7, I doubt I would have time. I may get in a short swim. I'm bringing the whole flock; wife who is doing the Olympic, son and daughter, and a babysitter. Plan on hanging around until Tues.

I have IM Cozumel in about 7 weeks. I have no idea how much of a taper I should do for this race. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW Deep wheel on front, disc on rear. No swimskin but still hoping wetsuit legal

Considering powertap on rear but probably not

I was training for B2B iron last year, and did a half about 5 weeks before that race. It was my best half iron race ever! I moved my 6 hour bike and 18 mile run from Sat/Sun to Thurs/Fri, and began taper at day 8.
2010-09-21 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3111151

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
keyone - 2010-09-21 10:30 PM
pschriver - 2010-09-21 11:04 AM I'm getting in on Fri. I would love to ride, but with bike check in ending at 7, I doubt I would have time. I may get in a short swim. I'm bringing the whole flock; wife who is doing the Olympic, son and daughter, and a babysitter. Plan on hanging around until Tues.

I have IM Cozumel in about 7 weeks. I have no idea how much of a taper I should do for this race. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW Deep wheel on front, disc on rear. No swimskin but still hoping wetsuit legal

Considering powertap on rear but probably not
I was training for B2B iron last year, and did a half about 5 weeks before that race. It was my best half iron race ever! I moved my 6 hour bike and 18 mile run from Sat/Sun to Thurs/Fri, and began taper at day 8.

I guess great minds think alike!  Wink  That's almost exactly what I'm doing this week -- except that I will not do quite 6hr and 18mile.  A bit less than that (more like 4hr -- but in mountains! -- and 15miles).  And my total volume for this week will be a bit lower, so I guess officially my taper has begun, even though I have some relatively big training days left this week.

It really is interesting, though -- isn't it? -- that a 4hr bike and a 15 mile run are going to feel pretty darned easy after the 6hr bike and 18mile run this past weekend.  I guess that's the point...
2010-09-21 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3111169

User image

Expert
NoVA
Experior - 2010-09-21 10:50 PM
It really is interesting, though -- isn't it? -- that a 4hr bike and a 15 mile run are going to feel pretty darned easy after the 6hr bike and 18mile run this past weekend.  I guess that's the point...

Hahaa  funny that you mention that today---I got back from a little over an hour on the bike and my wife asked what happened/was wrong since I was back "so soon."  Of course she still doesn't exactly understand "all of this" and when I lost my mind......Innocent
2010-09-22 5:44 AM
in reply to: #3111193

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Skippy74 - 2010-09-21 11:14 PM

Experior - 2010-09-21 10:50 PM

It's pretty cool how the body responds to abuse, yes. And also responds to slacking! After B2B last year, I took it easy for a month, then went out on a 50 mile bike ride. I ended it thinking "50 is the new 100".

Half Iron is my favorite distance. Really looking forward to Halfmax and feeling ready.

Edited by keyone 2010-09-22 5:52 AM
2010-09-22 5:09 PM

User image

Regular
I'm doing my first olympic distance race at Halfmax. I'm looking forward to the event and hope the weather is nice. I'm using this as a measuring stick to see if I'm ready for an increased distance. I have asperations of a HIM next year.

2010-09-22 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Hmm I know we are still a bit off (for forecasting) but the weather isn't necessarily looking fantastic.....let's hope it clears up!
2010-09-23 3:23 PM

Veteran
New York
I'm hopping into this thread! 

Hi all. I'm not doing the half-max, but I am doing the sprint distance race that day as part of the USAT Club National Championship. I'm a clyde, and i'm coming from Boston. My sister-in-law goes to college not far from Myrtle Beach, and I'm as excited as all get out for this last race of the season. Flying down Thursday and back on Sunday. If the BT gang decides to do a get together, let me know, I'm in.
2010-09-24 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Ok for those of us that have this as an "A" race---it's taper time!!!  So how is everyone feeling? 

I'm a bit worried about my swim---just haven't been swimming since I didn't have a pool for the summer...I know I can throw down a decent time but not sure how that effort will effect the rest of my race.  I like where my bike is right now---feel good on it and strong.  I was unsure of my run---after training for B2B full last year I felt my run numbers were too low but followed the plan---well the other day I did a hour run that wasn't a brick and WOW I actually felt good and the numbers looked good (not great but way better then I expected!!).  I'm really not sure what to expect for this race---I'm just looking forward to the second half of the run to see what I have left!  I'd like to be top-20 in AG even though I wouldn't accept a world's spot but I guess that also largely depends on the competition.....
2010-09-24 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Hey All,
I am also training for Cozumel, so this race, although sort of an A race, isn't getting full taper.
That being said, I was out of town for work this week and missed a couple of workouts. And my wife is out of town so no babysitter for usual long weekend rides.
So, I guess I am getting sort of a taper.
Did 27 on the bike and 5.5 mile run today and felt good. Hoping to get in my normal training through wed. next week and then do some shorter stuff Thurs (short run I think) and Friday (maybe 30 min bike and really short run, like 1 mile).
I am driving up with another racer from Boca Raton, so not sure how that lack of sleep on Thurs (sleeping in a car isn't as nice as it used to be) will affect my race.
That being said, I feel better trained than I did for the race where I qualified (clydesdale).
I didn't manage to get under 200 lbs, which was my goal, but am hoping to come in just about 5 hours anyway!

2010-09-24 11:48 PM
in reply to: #3116754

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey, I couldn't sleep so I was just surfing around the Halfmax site and found this page:
http://ultramaxtri.com/races/mbt/entry_list.php

You can click to see an entry list. Note that they list each age group twice under Halfmax, one set is General, and the other set is Qualifiers. There seem to be more Qualifiers than General entries. I have been wondering how full it was. Last year's race was less than 20 in my age group, meaning I'd have been a shoe-in for the Worlds. This year, my age group has alot more, so not so easy.

Skippy74, I've also been undertrained in the swim. A recent Olympic race made me painfully aware that 30 min in the pool twice a week does not cut it! Last saturday, I decided to add a swim to my 2:30 bike by riding to the lake, swimming for a little over an hour, and riding home. That was a great workout, and I'm doing it again tomorrow.

Sunday I have a 9 mile run. Well, my training plan calls for that run on Sat, and the bike on Sunday, but weather looks crappy on Sunday so I'm swapping those. Not too worried about that being close to race. I will wear my CEP recovery socks afterwards - they do wonders! And 9 miler is my standard long run, so it's not a stretch for me.

Rest of my week looks like this:
* Monday 27-Sep off
* Tuesday 28-Sep run 30 min, easy steady. Lunch or pm.
* Wednesday 29-Sep swim 30 min; ride 1 hour: (30 ez/20 Z2-Z3/10 ez)
* Thursday 30-Sep ride 40 min, ending with 3 minutes pretty hard. Immediately have a 300-400 calorie recovery drink. Do this before travel.
* Friday 1-Oct run 15 min, 2-3 short comfortably fast strides
* Saturday 2-Oct HALFMAX race

Edited by keyone 2010-09-24 11:50 PM

2010-09-25 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Carol---I think the last email I got from USAT--their weekly email thing---said something like 400 spots still left...what did they cap it at?  I seem to remember seeing 1200 somewhere but could be making that upSurprised  I had looked at the entry list about a week ago and looked like decent numbers---of course I also now realize that was just men's since the links are just men and just women...
2010-09-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3117214

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
From the Ultramax website:

1,250 Slots have been reserved for Qualifying Athletes.
250 Slots have been reserved for General Entry Athletes

I copy/pasted the entry lists (Halfmax only) into excel to count them. I know, I'm a nerd.

550 Males: 11 Aquabike, 116 General, 423 Qualifying.
312 Females: 6 Aquabike, 60 General, 246 Qualifying

My bike/swim/bike was very hard today. Much harder than last week. No fire in the legs for the bike, and the swim was tough. I think my body is telling me it needs rest, so maybe I should skip tomorrow's run. So hard to skip a workout!

Edited by keyone 2010-09-25 2:30 PM
2010-09-25 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Skippy74 - Were you in Nokesville this AM?  I waved and smiled to a bunch of people between around 8:30 and 10:00 and wondered if I saw you.

Carol - you should definitely ere on the side of conservative - I felt the same way at this point before Patriot.  I skipped my Monday workout - hard to do for sure - but I felt really strong and good for the race.  It's a lot of recovering to do in a short amount of time.

As for me, I'm having the same debate.  I did Patriots two weeks ago and the Woodrow Wilson half marathon last weekend, so I haven't taken much time off in between.  Here's my plan between now and race day:

today - brick - 47 ml. bike and 3.7 mile tempo run
tomorrow - 2 hr. swim
Monday - 1hr. easy bike/30 min. easy run both with short sprints OR day off OR something in between
Tuesday - 60-90 swim and weights
Wednesday - 45 min bike/30 min run w/sprint efforts
Thursday - off/travel
Friday - 30 min. bike/15 min. run w/short sprints
Saturday - RACE day!

So the big debate is whether to take Monday off or not between two swim only days.  I'm thinking I can't loose much at this point and that it would be worse not to be recovered and fresh enough, so leaning toward rest, but not sure.
2010-09-25 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3117490

User image

Expert
NoVA
carteroak - 2010-09-25 3:48 PM Skippy74 - Were you in Nokesville this AM?  I waved and smiled to a bunch of people between around 8:30 and 10:00 and wondered if I saw you.

So the big debate is whether to take Monday off or not between two swim only days.  I'm thinking I can't loose much at this point and that it would be worse not to be recovered and fresh enough, so leaning toward rest, but not sure.

Nope not me---just a nice run through my hood---OK well the old folks part of it since it was the big community yard sale thing today and well didn't feel like dealing with that!!!

As for rest for you and Carol---take the day OFF!!!  Don't feel guilty about it---the money is already in the bank at this point it's all about making the withdrawals on SAT......especially earlier in the week---I always feel it's better to take that day in the beginning of a ran week off if you're body needs it---then let the taper work!  Of course I think you will BOTH kill this race....

So given that everyone seems to be getting in at different times---it looks like there's a meeting on Fri 4-5pm (if I remember the email from a couple days ago correctly...)----maybe have a quick BT meet/greet/put names with faces just before or after the meeting???
2010-09-25 6:31 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I just found out that it hit 98 degrees here. No wonder I felt like crap on my bike ride. I felt hot, but did not realize it was THAT hot. sheesh, it's fall already.

Also, that does not help with the water temperature situation. The Wilmington Triathlon today was 80 degrees, not wetsuit legal

Edited by keyone 2010-09-25 6:53 PM

2010-09-25 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Yeah Carol it's been 90+ here the last couple days (yesterday hit 99*) so I figured that wasn't cooling the water down there much---glad my new trisuit arrived yesterday---much tighter fit and seems like it will be much better for the swim since it sure seems wetsuit legal is out the window...
2010-09-25 10:13 PM

Veteran
New York
Reading about everyone bricking and tapering for the Halfmax makes me glad I'm doing the sprint. My first 70.3 was a month ago Weds, and I've been pretty lazy since then. I'm preparing for the sprint by doing a long ride tomorrow to get the legs loosened up, swimming the next few days and mixing in a couple runs. I fly down friday, and I'm staying about a mile from the race site. Getting pretty excited other than about taking my bike apart to box it, and paying the $100 each way fee to fly it.
2010-09-26 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Okay.  I'm pretty convinced - tomorrow is a rest day.  I did a masters swim this morning and we did 2400yd pull w/paddles and 1300 kick w/fins, so I'm toast.

I also just got a new tri suit since my old one isn't tight enough to swim in.  Perhaps we can convince a few more people to do the same and then Murphy's Law will force the water temperature down enough for wetsuits - kind of like carrying an umbrella so it won't rain!  Wink

As for a BT get together - I'm thinking it would be great to meet up with everyone after the meeting since we will all be in one place at that point.  That way there won't be any pressure for anyone who is rushing to get to the meeting on time.  We just need to figure out how to pick a spot that everyone can find.
2010-09-26 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
After realizing that the heat was probably why I felt like crap on yesterday's bike, I went ahead and did my normal 9 mile run today. I PR'd it, and that gave me a nice confidence boost. I took an ice bath afterwards and am wearing my compression socks now. I didn't feel the need for an ice bath, but it never hurts, and it can help speed recovery, so I figured what the hell.

I'm going to want to get dinner right after the meeting. And I'm not staying around to listen to the USAT folks give their dog and pony show. I was very polite and stayed for that at B2B and ended up getting a drafting penalty during the race No sirrree, not staying this time around!

My idea for food, is to check at Ruth Chris to see if I can get one of those special race pasta dinners to go. I got that at B2B and it was just perfect. I did not make a reservation for the special dinner at Ruth Chris, did anyone? If I can't get a pasta meal at Ruth Chris, I will check the Waterscapes restaurant, also in the host hotel. If that fails, I will go to Bimini's Oyster Bar which is near my hotel and hope to get something. I don't want to have a 2 hour wait! There might be restuarant(s) at my hotel, too. Ocean Sands Club. Just kicking around ideas at this point!

Maybe we could get reservations for a group. Anyone have good places to eat. I got the above ideas from looking at Google Maps "search nearby" feature.

Just found a japanese stir fry restaurant not too far from the host hotel. Probalby expensive. I'm guessing everyplace will be expensive in Myrtle beach!

Miyabi Kyoto Japanese Steak House?
93 reviews - more info »
9732 North Kings Highway
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 29572
(843) 449-9294

Also, the Hard Rock Cafe is not too far away. I love that place! They have a priority seating form on their website!
https://www.hardrock.com/px/default.aspx?selLocation=MYRTLE%20BEACH

Edited by keyone 2010-09-26 3:17 PM
2010-09-26 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Well there are many restaurants in Myrtle--all price ranges too...

Since I've got the family coming with me this time (kids too) I'm out for dinner...perhaps if there's a group that wants to do dinner they could do that and we could also have a quick meet after the meeting for anyone else???  It's just always nice to recognize a few faces---especially since it looks like it doesn't matter the distance---we'll all be out there together!

2010-09-26 5:12 PM

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
      Just finished a short swim in the waterway under the powerlines seen on the google map for the hotel area on the web site. The water temp is slightly warmer than the YMCA pool I swim in. (we won't be wearing wet suits). People are still swimming and skiing in "the ditch". The current is around 1.3 mph (falling tide) and probably will be arouind that for the swim. I could see my forearms under water but the water is very cloudy. The swim should be fun considering the fact that our long leg will be w/ the current, it's a fresh water swim, and there are no waves or swells.
      For places to eat here are a few that are good:
Villa Mare- Italian mom and pop about 5 mins from marina inn accross waterway 4999  carolina    
       forest blvd  (take out)
Ciao - Italian mom and pop about 5 mins from marina inn in M.B. 52nd ave north hwy 17 bus      
      (have take out)
Liberty tap room- ok/good food; bar/rest place 76th ave n hwy 17 bus
bonefish- 68th-ish ave n hwy 17 bus (have take out)
outback - 70th ave n hwy 17 (take out)
carabba's - 68th ave n hwy 17 bus
carolina road house - 46 ave n hwy 17 bus (take out)
Yamato's - jap steak house at broadway @ the beach (29th ave n hwy 17 bypass); this is a    
        large collection of stores/resturants and is a few miles farther away from the marina inn (in  
        the opposite direction) but may beappeal more so compared to Miyabi's due to other   
        attractions.
     The temp is 78 as I type this. The traffic is not bad at all but there is a fall biker rally comomg into town so if reservations are needed you should plan ahead. This shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Looking forward to the event.
    Hal
2010-09-26 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Hal thanks for the local intel on the swim---good stuff!!
2010-09-26 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Hal, the biker rally is the same weekend??? OMG, don't they take over the town? (talking about crowds, not any offense to bikers).

I'd be down with one of those mom and pop Italian places!

Yes, and ditto what Skippy74 said, much thanks on the swim report :-)

Edited by keyone 2010-09-26 6:19 PM
2010-09-26 7:40 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Just back from a hellacious trip -- Columbia SC to Bloomington IN to Brevard NC to Folly Beach NC and back to Columbia.  I got what training I could in, and now it's full taper time.  I've still got B2B full in Nov, but this is my A race, so I'll do what I need for it, and figure out B2B in the aftermath... My schedule looks something like this:

Mon:  easy bike; swim
Tue:  easy run with a mile or two at race pace; swim
Wed:  bike with 20 minutes or so at race pace
Thur: easy run; swim
Fri: easy bike

I'm cutting back from my peak volume (~23 hours week before last) more than anticipated (10 hrs last week, and down to probably 7hrs or even less this week, not including the race of course), but my body needs it.  I did an 11 mile run yesterday and it felt pretty good, so I think my run is there.  I have biked less than I'd like but today did 2 hours on the trainer and felt fine.  My swim, well, it's, um, lacking.  I'm planning on cruising the swim then I'll go to work on the bike and run.

I still don't have a hotel!  Cash has been tight and I had to wait 'till I got paid.  I'm making a reservation somewhere ultra-cheap tomorrow.  (The family won't be there, so I'm going to slum it -- I won't be in the room much anyway...)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9