General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's Doing the Thousand Island Triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-29 6:02 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Who's Doing the Thousand Island Triathlon?

Last year, there was a thread in which a number of members had shown signs of wanting to go to the Thousand Island Triathlon this season.  As far as I can remember there were:  Michel Charette (Machiavelo), Sann Bulman (Laerka), Joanne, (PoohBear), Frank Aponte (Scuba-Punk), and Jen (keepitup).  Is everyone still interested?  Are there other members who wish to attend?

I am very interested in doing the olympic triathlon at this event and would like to make a weekend of it.  So, I will be seeking motel accomodations there for me and my wife.  Someone had mentioned a good hotel, which caters to the triathletes that invade the area around that time.  Who was that and what is the name of the motel?

2005-06-29 8:09 PM
in reply to: #186693

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: RE: Who's Doing the Thousand Island Triathlon?

Hey Michel, I am hoping to still come (lol- especially since I started that thread last year!). But this damn divorce is taking forever, so summer plans are in limbo. Events around here never get sold out - wonder if that is true for the thousand Island tri? 

We would also be looking for accomodations - Jo and I'll have: two boys, a sister, a mum and dad with us. 

2005-07-01 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thinking of it? I've been registered for 2 months!! I've signed up for the Oly (my first - mostly because RT 2 is about as flat as I'll ever get) and Wifey and I have reservations at Dewarr's Inn, Prescott. Although I'm sure that they will be packed, we could try for a get together at either the Keystorm Pub or Bud's on the Bay.

Unfortunately, with Wifey being ill we had to cancel our dives for Monday. Which always leaves the possibility that I might not be able to make it at all this year. One day at a time...

-Frank

www.dewarsinn.com

Edited by scuba-punk 2005-07-01 11:33 AM
2005-07-07 7:56 PM

User image

Regular
I Can't do the Thousand Islands Tri this year, but would like to do it next year. Is there any links to a website?
2005-08-02 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Suck. Sorry, but I have to bail on this one folks. I can't justify being away from Wifey for a few days like that at the moment. There's always next year, right?

-Frank
2005-08-02 9:46 PM

Canton
Here's the website I think

http://www.somersault.ca/2aug21.html

Somersault puts them on all summer

2005-08-04 8:17 AM

User image

I did not know that there was on Tri in Brockville...Dang it - I will be driving through there that day on my way back to Chicago. Good luck to all that go! Hopefully next year I can do it. I love the area having grown up in Ogdensburg.
2005-08-04 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
I am hoping that my husband (mmakbenton) and I will be able to make that race. He's down in Alabama right now and finishes the morning of the 19th.... He's figuring on driving over halfway home that first day, then the rest on the 20th.... We'd get up the morning of the 21st & drive up. Being that that's the case, we'd probably register day of.... hoping there's not a threat of being "sold out". I guess if that was the case, we'd volunteer & just cheer everyone else on.....
2005-08-04 4:02 PM

Without a doubt I'll be there, providing that I don't do 17 hours of hay work in the blistering heat like I did the day before the Smiths Falls Classic, what an idiot I was . Maybe we can organize all the BT members who will be attending and meet up before the race, it'll be nice to meet some new people.~~Look out for me, I might be in a team javelin tri uniform

I do have a few questions though for anyone who participated in it last year:

How is the bike course laid out, Is it fairly "hilly" or flat?
How many people came out last year?
And please, please tell me there are more than 2 aid stations...lol

Oh Machiavelo, the hotel is on the race information page @ somersault.ca

Edited by the_wenger 2005-08-04 4:05 PM
2005-08-05 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

I'm coming!!!!!!!!

I have done the sprint a couple of times and the Oly is just loops of this course.  The bike course has a few big hills and it can be windy, usually on the way back.  It's the run course that kind of sucks...there are a few steep (but not too long) hills near the turn around of the 5k run...I always find them a killer but I suck at running.  In the Oly we have to do this twice!  

I don't remember there being any problems with aid stations.  People line the residential streets and spray you with their hoses too.  Parts of the run course are shady too which is nice...it's usually HOT out!!

Jen

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's Doing the Thousand Island Triathlon? Rss Feed