General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena race day attire question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-11 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Subject: Athena race day attire question
Okay, so my first Tri is scheduled for June 5. I'm pretty stoked, but I'm struggling to find info on the web of what I should be wearing come race day. I'm total newbie and a poor college student, so I'm planning (hoping) to get by with what I already have in my closet.

What do most of you women wear come race day? Are you adding/removing clothing during T1 and/or T2? My girls up front don't like when I run in a swimsuit since there isn't enough support so I'm confused on appropriate attire or how to layer my cloths to get through the entire race without changing.

Any insight would be great. Thanks.

2010-05-11 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2852941

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Athena race day attire question
I wear a zoot tri suit. Its amazing. I don't have to worry about changing clothes during transition and it's comfy :D
2010-05-11 11:39 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Swimsuits aren't great for on the bike either... They can irritate around the legs.

My first tri I wore a tri top + sports bra and capris for the swim and just threw a shirt over the tri-top because I wasn't comfortable without something looser on top while I ran.

The last 2 I think I did modest sports bra and capris under wetsuit and again throwing a shirt on in t1 that I wore both on the bike and run.

Trisuits are great if you're comfortable in them... no need to change at all. for me I wanted a bit more modesty to cover my rolls... and the shorts usually look funny on my legs because I've lost a lot of weight.

Edited by IdealMuse 2010-05-11 11:40 PM
2010-05-12 5:02 AM

User image

Expert
When i was a poor university student i jut invested in tri shorts.  I would wear a sports bra under my swim suit and then the tri shorts over my swimsuit.  Worked fine for the race lenghths I did (up to 32 km bike).

If you are planning on putting something on in T1 make sure that it is loose.  I made that mistake in T1 on my first tri.  never again...
2010-05-12 7:55 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
My first trisuit was from Danskin.  At $80 it got the job done, looks nice on and has a nutrition pocket.  If  you are over a B cup, make sure to wear a sports bra under it. 

http://www.danskin.com/triathlon-collection.html

http://www.danskin.com/trisuit-6998.html#danskin
2010-05-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2853276

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Thanks for all the help.

I am a D cup (hoping to get back to a C) so currently need a lot of support. I will try to use what I have for the mini-Sprint and purchace something better prior to my first full Sprint the end of July. I hope by then I will have lost a little more weight and that way I'm not wasting money on a suit I won't be able to wear very long.

I noticed the sizes on most of this stuff only go to XL. I have a big butt and thighs (which will be the last to go) is there anything else in larger sizes like XXL out there?

2010-05-12 2:24 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
When I was a size 16 and a D cup the XL danskin suit fit well- I still have it if you want to try it on (are you coming Saturday to Alum Creek?) or you can just have it- now I'm wearing a L in Danskin.

Most 'bike' clothes are made for small skinny bi$%&es who need to eat a d@mn sammich.  Most of the brand names I'm wearing XXL which makes me feel like a fat cow- esp since Bonktown NEVER has that size
2010-05-12 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2854540

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I'm attempting to run the Komen 5k on Saturday so can't make it, but we can definitely link up at some point to see what it's like. I'm a bit bigger than a 16, but at least check it out to see. How long do you guys think you'll be around on Saturday? I don't have anything to do after the run so I could try to make it up there if you'll still be up there. Lemme know!
2010-05-12 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I just did my first race, and this is what I wore for the swim:

Swim attire

It's a pair of Skirt Sports Tri shorts in 2XL on the bottom.  On top, I just wore a good bra in a quick-dry fabric, covered with a good running tank in a quick-dry fabric. The tank was tight enough and long enough that it didn't give me any issues during the swim.  I had done one practice swim in this getup just to be sure it would work.

At transition I threw on a 2XL tech shirt (to which my number was already pinned) on top of it just for modesty (ie, to cover the fat!).  I was racing with two other gals, so we had shirts specially made for the occasion :

Run attire

I was very pleased with my choices here, and comfortable throughout.  Without the tight fitting shorts, I would have been very chaffed on my legs.  I did get a slight bit of chaffing on one arm -- next time, body glide!

Hope this helps some.
2010-05-12 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2855173

User image

Delaware, OH
mcinTri2010 - 2010-05-12 8:18 PM I'm attempting to run the Komen 5k on Saturday so can't make it, but we can definitely link up at some point to see what it's like. I'm a bit bigger than a 16, but at least check it out to see. How long do you guys think you'll be around on Saturday? I don't have anything to do after the run so I could try to make it up there if you'll still be up there. Lemme know!

I expect not super long because there is FOOD at the end of this group practice at DavidTri's house. 
2010-05-13 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2853276

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I ALWAYS recommend this suit for Athenas.  Their sizes are normal.  My Danskin suit is two sizes smaller than my other tri gear - so dumb.    I am sucker for a full suit because then I don't have to pull the top down continuously.   An inch or two of skin above the waistband is okay for the 110-lb girls, but not comfortable for me

And I definitely wear a sports bra under it!

If you're near an REI, they sell these so you can try it one.  Or they used to, anyway.

k_watzek - 2010-05-12 7:55 AM My first trisuit was from Danskin.  At $80 it got the job done, looks nice on and has a nutrition pocket.  If  you are over a B cup, make sure to wear a sports bra under it. 

http://www.danskin.com/triathlon-collection.html

http://www.danskin.com/trisuit-6998.html#danskin

2010-05-20 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2855985

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
My first tri is this weekend and I had the same question. So far I've decided on wearing a sports bra and just regular spandex under the wetsuit for the swim.

I'm not ready to invest in tri-shorts since I'm still losing weight, and my bike shorts have too thick of a pad. So for a sprint distance, regular spandex should be fine padding-wise.

And then in T1 I'm going to throw on a moisture-wicking loose shirt and a pair of soccer shorts. I'm not quite comfortable with tight stuff, but I definitely need the spandex on the bottom to prevent chafing during the bike and run.

Neither the sports bra nor the spandex are made from a super duper moisture-wicking material, but it's only a sprint and with enough BodyGlide, I should be ok. At least that's the hope.
2010-05-20 8:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Get a good supportive bra...a top vote getter  on BT over the years is Moving Comfort Fiona that supports C through DD easily and comes up through size 44. I think I have lots maybe about 14 of them as I have changed sizes and now get them in colors so I can wear them alone in the summer.

I would skip the swim suit and wear tri shorts, sports bra, and tight fitting top which could be a tri top or something from Target in their sports line.

I'd suggest trying Danskin or tri men's tri shorts that sometimes comes in XXL mens.
2010-05-20 9:14 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I love my zoot tri suit. The girl next to me had one at my most recent race, and she wore a bra underneath. I don't need that, all my junk is in my trunk. But so comfy, and nice and smooth over the rolls!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena race day attire question Rss Feed