General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming myth #2..busted Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-05-23 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2876199

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Swimming myth #2..busted
We want EVF because it reduces drag. To achieve EVF we need to maintain the upper arm closer to our long axis or our direction of motion. Even the slightest angle of the upper arm deviating from that line of motion creates an enormous increase in drag. By necessity, to achieve EVF, the hand must be shallower than with the dropped elbow. Aquagirl is not the worst arm position I've seen, but a simple change in her arm position (if she can extend her shoulders enough to achieve it) will produce a big improvement in efficiency for her. 

Gary 

2010-05-23 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2877008

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
PennState - 2010-05-23 6:43 PM

Gary, I swam a 1:26/100 yd pace in a half-iron swim today. This was a very low stroke rate. Somehow I revert to this in OWS as I get into the "stay calm and save energy" mentality.

Any tips to help me overcome my low stroke rate and get my pace below 1:20/100 yds?

Thanks in advance

What was your stroke rate? Have you done any work with a tempo trainer before?
2010-05-24 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2877002

User image

Regular
Calgary
garyhallsr - 2010-05-23 6:40 PM
Dear Doug,

Using a 2 beat kick and stroke rate of 32 spm puts you in the category of a log floating in with the tide. .

Gary  

Love that quote! Well, at least it's a fast tide (for my age group).  I'm no speed demon on the run, that's for sure so I'll take overall time decreases anywhere I can.

Total Immersion - 2010-05-23 8:52 AM
If all your math is in the pool, have you measured and included turn/pushoff time? If not, that would push your tempo into the low-to-mid 40s. In any event, it's likely you could increase both SPL and Tempo without sacrificing the "sustainability" of your swimming. How tall are you? An SPL of 14 in a 25m pool would be suitable if you're in the range of 6'3" to 6'4". If you're shorter than that there's possibly a bit of glide/lost momentum from trying to hold too low a stroke count. Also, while I would be very hesitant to recommend a tempo of 80-90 for a triathlon swim, I think you're safe with a tempo between 50 and 60. You can find an extensive and informative discussion of Stroke Rate and SPL (as well as how they affect breathing rate) on the TI Forum here. http://www.totalimmersion.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&wrap... If you look through the list of threads on other conferences, you will find others that center on choosing stroke count and tempo effectively.

Hi, Terry.
First off, thanks for writing your book and producing the myriad of other materials on TI. I have found them very helpful. I took Red Cross swimming lessons as a child and that taught me to swim; however, TI has helped it become so much easier to swim.

You're correct in all your assumptions above. The 14 count is from a pool without adjustments for turning/pushing off . The pace is from a typical OWS. So your adjustments are probably pretty close.

I'm 6'5". So hopefully, the stroke count makes sense.

If I redo my math adjusting for turns/pushing off (using an estimated 22 strokes), I estimate a stroke rate of 50spm.

And thanks for the link to the forum. I'll have to read that a couple times to absorb it as there is quite a bit there!

Thanks to both of you for your help...I'll practice picking up the stroke rate and see what happens.

Doug
2010-05-24 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2879188

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
dmckeen - 2010-05-24 4:32 PM

I'll practice picking up the stroke rate and see what happens.

Doug

Doug
I thoroughly enjoy developing a range of "gears" for my swimming. I do so both by "playing" SPL the way a music student plays scales, and by using the Tempo Trainer. The TT brings invaluable specificity to my adjustments. I also find it to be great brain training.

When I increase SR with the TT, I always do the following
1) strive to recapture the sense of leisure and relaxation I had at the next-lower tempo I just practiced and
2) evaluate whether I gained enough speed, at a sufficiently low increase in effort, to make that a good choice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming myth #2..busted Rss Feed  

of 3