General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anxiety before my first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-13 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Subject: Anxiety before my first tri
Any good online reads you can recommend while I sit here watching the minutes tick away on my last day of work before my first tri on Saturday? I’m most worried about the swim. I suck at swimming and am mentally preparing myself to quite possibly be the last person out of the water.

2010-05-13 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2855927

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Anxiety before my first tri

If you're last out of the water you'll probably get the most applause. The only mental preparation you need for that is knowing how to gratiously handle all that love.

Recommended online reading: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=15#s

2010-05-13 9:19 AM

User image

Master
FWIW I wouldn't worry about the swim. No matter how bad you suck, somebody else will suck worse.
2010-05-13 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I am just over three weeks away from my first Tri and I can already feel myself get anxious. I think I need to stop reading so much and surfing about Tri's and just train more.
2010-05-13 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2855950

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

ABSOLUTELY read race reports (link from Bear above).  Best way to get excited.

When you get to the race on Saturday, leave yourself some time to get into the water.  Swim a few yards and get comfortable and situated.  It's worth any fear of being cold you might have.  When you're in the water, stand with your back to the crowd and look at the course.  Visualize completing the swim, knowing what the water looks like, etc. 

YOU CAN DO IT!

And I was one of last out of the swim in my first Oly distance.  I got a good shout out from the announcer, everyone (who was left) clapped.  It was very nice.  I went from feeling dejected to smiling and running into transition to do my race.

Good luck!

2010-05-13 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I was one of the last people out of the water at my first race. 

My big mistake was going out way too fast and spiking my heart rate and breathing.  I just got caught up in the excitment and emotions the moment.  I just about died after the first 100 yds and had to slow down and dog paddle for several minutes until I could catch my breath.  It was the closest I've ever come to quitting during a race.  I was more embarrassed than anything else.  Did a lot of slow breaststroke and sidestroke the rest of the way but did eventually make it to the finish. 

I've done much better since I learned to start slowly and build up to a comfortable pace.  Some good advice that you will hear often is to start to the outside of your wave, swim your own pace and stay out of the combat zone in the center of the pack. 

Good luck,

Mark

2010-05-13 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

When your wave is called to get in the water. Get off to the outside and let them take off, then start slowly swimming.

In your mind  just think about finishing the swim because when you hit dry land you will know that you can finish the race.

Arrive early, set up and walk around and enjoy the race day excitment.

You will do fine.

Train-Race-Enjoy!

Kevin
2010-05-13 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Thanks you guys! I'm going over tomorrow and am going to try to swim a little. I only got one OWS in during training and it was ugly! I'm going to try to relax tomorrow and check out the course. It's a beautiful beach so I'll try to enjoy that!
2010-05-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2856127

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

RedCorvette - 2010-05-13 11:12 AM

My big mistake was going out way too fast and spiking my heart rate and breathing.

This is the most common mistake I've seen from friends in their first races. Your mind should go something like this for the first 150 meters:

Stroke-breathe-slow down-stroke-breathe-slow down...

If things are still going well as the crowd starts to thin out, then pick up the pace. As far as the anxiety goes, the race is going to happen, and you are going to finish. So just sit back and enjoy it. You only get one first race.

2010-05-13 10:59 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
The anxiety is the best part!!!  It is excitement, adrenaline and fear all rolled up!  It is the extra boost of energy that will get you through the swim, the bike and the run.  When you stop having those feelings it is time to stop triathlons and find something else that gets your blood pumping. 

The link is the my race report for my first tri.  You will do great!  You are trained and ready for this.  Enjoy it.  And make sure to post your race report with all the details.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=206258&posts=3&start=1
2010-05-13 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2856157

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

and I ran - 2010-05-13 11:24 AM Thanks you guys! I'm going over tomorrow and am going to try to swim a little. I only got one OWS in during training and it was ugly! I'm going to try to relax tomorrow and check out the course. It's a beautiful beach so I'll try to enjoy that!

Just looked at your logs and realized that you're doing the FIT race on Siesta Key.  I'll be there volunteering and cheering you on!

Mark 

2010-05-13 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2856352

User image

Veteran
Florida
Thanks for being a volunteer Mark! I just volunteered for the first time at Meek & Mighty it was a very cool experience. I held the tape at the finish line. So fun!
2010-05-13 11:20 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Something that has always helped me is to visualize your race from start to finish. Start with waking up on race morning and take yourself through every step of the way until you cross the finish line. For me, it helps to "see" myself doing things in my mind.

2010-05-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2856446

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
lisac957 - 2010-05-13 11:20 AM Something that has always helped me is to positively visualize your race from start to finish. Start with waking up on race morning and take yourself through every step of the way until you cross the finish line. For me, it helps to "see" myself doing things in my mind.

X2 (with the addition in bold). 

If you show up Saturday dreading and fearful of the swim, what's likely to happen?  Yup, you'll most likely confirm that perception. 

If you show up on Saturday excited to be racing and with a plan to get you safely out of the water no matter what, what's likely to happen?  Yup...

I'm not fearful of the water, but here's my race-day strategy:  Some positive visualization of me swimming.  Doesn't matter that I can't see the bottom...doesn't matter that others are thrashing around me...doesn't matter if I swim front crawl the whole time or sidestroke (I have a pretty good sidestroke...) or even elementary backstroke...I see myself exiting the water and heading calmly up to T1.  Hopefully, you'll have a few minutes to get in the water and swim (even 50 yards) to get over any initial shock of murky or cold water.  Then, when the gun goes off for my wave, I wait...I count to 10, 15, or even 20 seconds depending on the size of the wave and let everyone start thrashing around.  Then I calmly start swimming, n.i.c.e-a.n.d-s.l.o.w.l.y where other people aren't! 
2010-05-13 12:05 PM

User image

Agree with above.  Visualize the race...be positive...but also be realistic.  Understand that during the swim, it will be chaos at the start.  To think otherwise is just fooling yourself.  But how you handle that is entirely up to you.  You can go in with the attitude of embracing the chaos and not let it bother you...and accept it as part of the "fun" things that happen during a race...or you can panic and get flustered by the contact.  It's a very fine line that I still battle with, but it makes all the difference in the world. 

Calm and having fun = decreased heart rate and lots energy.

Panic = self doubt = increased heart rate = wasted energy.

And you won't be the last one out of the water....the only way that happens is if you don't know how to swim...because there is always one person who enters the race thinking that going to the pool/beach as a kid constitutes as knowing how to swim.
2010-05-13 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome to the club! Just a few short months I did my first and like many people the swim worried me. 

It wasn't pretty but I made it.  Between the cold, first time in a wet suit and the "oh my gosh I am in open water" panic I forgot how to swim.  Side stroke almost the entire way.

But guess what, I still beat 20 other people out of the water and it was a small race.

You'll do fine.
Duane

2010-05-13 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Just another thing I learned the hard way:  An easy, comfortable, "slow"  freestyle is still faster and expends less energy than either breaststroke or sidestroke. 

Mark 

2010-05-13 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2856597

User image

Veteran
Florida
And you won't be the last one out of the water....the only way that happens is if you don't know how to swim...because there is always one person who enters the race thinking that going to the pool/beach as a kid constitutes as knowing how to swim.

This made me LOL because this is SO my Dad. He seems to think because he swam across the Hudson when he was 10 that he can do a triathlon with no training at the age of 63 with a heart condition and two knee replacements. Drives me nuts! Luckily he flaked on the first one he signed up for and never got around to signing up for this one but is still saying that he might do it.  

Edited by and I ran 2010-05-13 2:48 PM
2010-05-13 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast
I know exactly how you feel, I felt shaky and like I wanted to throw up before my first tri, because of the swim. I really shouldn't have worried, once we were in the water it was fine, not fun until the bike, but just fine. I was second last out but I just got to overtake everyone for the rest of the race and I really loved it.

I promise you that you will absolutely love it and with the swim, if you need to change up your stroke then do it. Do whatever it takes for you to finish it happily.
Good luck!
2010-05-13 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
you'll feel a lot better after the race starts...it's just pre-race jitters.

relax as many said. breathe deep. it's supposed to be fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anxiety before my first tri Rss Feed