Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Some Newbie Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-13 2:24 PM

Regular
Toronto
Subject: Some Newbie Questions
So I have signed up for the Grimsby Sprint Tri - my first race of any sort since high school which was a loooonnng time ago.

I have a few questions:  first, what is considered a decent speed to swim the 750 metres, and how closely can I compare my pool times to what I'm likely to accomplish in open water (it snowed just a few days ago, so now swimming outside for a while!!!).  I have done lots of lake swimming, but never to time myself or anything like that, just for leisure...  Also, does anyone know what the water is like at the Grimsby race?

Second, I was planning on using my existing bike which is a hybrid between a road bike and mountain bike.  I think they call them city bikes or something like that - is this even feasible or should I be looking for something different?  And what is a decent time for doing 25 km?

Finally, I am working up my running but I have a good feeling that I will end up having to walk a healthy portion of the final leg - am I going to be totally alone or will there be at least a few other "less-fit" types like me out there?

Thanks for the input!!!

2010-05-13 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2857105

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: Some Newbie Questions
Yay! Congrats!!

I have no idea on the swim - I've never done that race... but someone on here will know!

You'll be fine on the bike - you'll see everything there - old roadies, mountain bikes, hybrids and tri-bikes.  And all sorts of people!!

You won't be the only one walking - there will be others - although the adrenaline will do more than you think!!

Welcome to BT and good luck!
2010-05-13 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

A decent speed on the swim would be something like 2 minutes per 100 m, so 15 minutes for 750 m. For open water you are a little faster wearing a wetsuit and drafting, and a little slower because of congestion and not swimming a straight line. Overall a novice will be a little slower. The hybrid is fine for your first races. The main thing slowing you down is the knobby tires. A decent speed would be averaging 30 kpm on the bike. Triathlon is attracting lots of beginners in Ontario so you should have lots of company on the run.

I have not done Grimsby so I can't help you there. Have fun!

2010-05-13 7:13 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Hey welcome I am in the same position as you... this will be my first year, I am new to all of this... really new... I have been cycling on and off for 3years now.. this will be my 4th summer. Albiet I have a road bike, but I also put road slicks on my mountain bike. This is the bike I use to ride with my wife and with some friends... for the sake of 60-70 bucks or cheaper if you go to MEC. you can pick up some speed there.

I can't answer your swimming question.

But I can say I am really working on my running, just got back from a 3km run myself.. and I walked half of it... running 90 seconds then walking 90 seconds... working my way up to it.....

I am not in your area or I would be walking alone with you... if your like me... my goal is just to complete it and do the best I can.. then maybe get more addicted and keep doing more...

Welcome, Congrats and all the best.
2010-05-13 7:54 PM

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario

As this is your first tri in a long while - my advice would be to ignore times, focus on having fun (and finishing). Don't worry if you might end up at the tail end of a race - you will honestly get more cheering than some of  the fasties. You can check out times from last year's race, but in the end if you make it to the start line you will have already made a huge step.

A hybred bike for a sprint means you will be passed by a lot of people on road/tri bikes - again, don't sweat this, road bikes are by definition going to be faster. No need to upgrade for your first race unless you have money burning ahole in your pocket - although I have to admit after being passed by everyone and their grandmother when I used a mountain bike for my first try-a-tri, I ran right out and bought a (used) road bike.

2010-05-14 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2857849

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
runmini - 2010-05-13 8:54 PM

As this is your first tri in a long while - my advice would be to ignore times, focus on having fun (and finishing). Don't worry if you might end up at the tail end of a race - you will honestly get more cheering than some of  the fasties. You can check out times from last year's race, but in the end if you make it to the start line you will have already made a huge step.

A hybred bike for a sprint means you will be passed by a lot of people on road/tri bikes - again, don't sweat this, road bikes are by definition going to be faster. No need to upgrade for your first race unless you have money burning ahole in your pocket - although I have to admit after being passed by everyone and their grandmother when I used a mountain bike for my first try-a-tri, I ran right out and bought a (used) road bike.

I agree with everything said here.  For your first tri - don't sweat anything about speed.  OWS will likely be a shock to the system.  After my first tri last year my goal for the next was not to panic.  The swim is likey to start in waves so unless you're in the last wave, you won't be last!

I think friends of mine did Grimsby a couple of years ago and found the swim tough because it was the day after a  storm and the water was bit rough (it's in Lake Ontario, right?) but they got through.

As for the biking and running - personally if you have a bike you're comfortable with go with it.  Road and tri bikes will buy you some speed but there's a price attached too. I still got passed alot on a road bike in my first Du.

As for running, you're going to see all levels, abilities, ages - so no sweat - well, you should sweat, but no worries.  It's one of the things that makes the sport so great!

Don't forget to enjoy it!! :D

2010-05-14 8:04 PM

Niagara Falls
Great job for registering. I did my first try a tri last September in Wassaga and fell in love with the sport. You will love it! Like everyone else said, you will see all kinds of athletes riding all kinds of bikes and walkers and runner alike! No worries! You will have so much fun, you won't notice everything else. The organizers and volunteers are fantastic!

As for the swim, it is Lake Ontario so more than likely it will be a bit rough but you can touch the ground for the whole course so no worries about that. Although I highly recommend to swim and not run in the water...easier!

Best of luck! 
2010-05-14 11:21 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I did this race last year - and really enjoyed it.  The swim is in lake Ontario. The morning of the race last year the water was as flat as a mirror - not a puff of wind. The swim ran parallel to the shore for 300m, then out  50m and back parallel to shore for 300 and back to shore. Its a safe and easy course becasue you're never more than 50m from shore. There were some yachts parked in strategic spots so you can use the masts as sighting points. The water is fairly clear and greenish in colour, with some scattered seaweed.  You won't be able to touch the bottom once you're more than 15m off shore.

The bike ride was very simple - except for one monster incline up the Niagara escartment.  There is no such thing as a good or bad time for 25km. Go ride the course this weekend and see what time you get - then try to beat it during the race.

The run had quite a few trails on the return leg. It was unremarkable.

Here is my race report from last year: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=174538

Good luck.

Edited by mgalanter 2010-05-14 11:23 PM
2010-05-20 9:35 PM

Regular
Toronto

Thanks for all the feedback!  I think I will go and get some smoother tires for my bike, but no new bikes, at least not this year.  I've done lots of open water swimming when I was younger (even did a real rescue once!) so hopefully that will all come back to me.  My times in all three sports are starting to improve, so right now my goal is just to keep improving!

Glad to hear I won't be the only one who gets passed, or will do some walking on the course.  I would love to be able to run the whole 7.5 km, but being honest, after the swim and the cycle, that may not be realistic...

Happy Racing Everyone!

2010-05-21 12:30 PM

Toronto
Hi too have raced this one. 

water conditions vary quite a bit depending upon wind contidions but your never far from shore and even closer to help if necessary.  the water was clear, but no open wounds!  The bike both climbs and descends the escarpment,  it's a two stage climb,  second stage being somewhat steeper than the fist,  albeit shorter.  Once the climb is complete it's flat.  The run is flat and residential and some nice folks will put their sprinklers on for you to run through...

so far as times go,  your racing yourself.  whats an acceptable time for you is what your striving for not what anyone else says is good. 

my advise, for what's it's worth, train the individual discipline and practice tansitions, alot. It's wierd running to your bike after the swim and how your legs react to running after riding.

wrt new gear,  good comfortable running shoes,  comfortable distance appropriate clothes and new tires for your bike if you need then or if the current ones don't have an inline tread.

Enjoy the journey.
Cheers!
2010-05-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2857849

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

runmini - 2010-05-13 8:54 PM

I completely agree. Don't worry about times. As this is your first race just enjoy it and finish. You will see people doing all kinds of strokes in the swim from a fast crawl to a slow floating backstroke or breast stoke maybe even some dog paddling . I'm helping coach a triathlon clinic for beginners in Guelph and that's one thing we stress... just have fun. You'll be hooked and then you can start thinking about improving.

Edited by Redknight 2010-05-21 8:24 PM

2010-05-28 1:46 PM

Regular
Toronto

I notice that swimming seems to be the challenge for a lot of people.  Perhaps I should be worried, but having spent my summers at a cottage, swimming open water comes pretty naturally to me.  I will be at a cottage for a week in July in Muskoka - going to get my nephews and brothers-in-law (hubbie doesn't swim...) to do some swimming with me to get more used to the idea of swimming with people around me.  My swim time isn't fast (17 minutes for the 750 metre in the pool) but not excruciatingly slow either, so I feel okay about the swim.

The run is what really scares me.  I got my 1 km time to under 8 minutes, but my HR was spiking up around 185 and my avg HR was 150, and I have been reading that I really should be keeping it lower, so gonna have to slow down.  Not sure I can do the 7.5 km in under an hour, especially at the end of the race - I just don't want to be last!

I also better do so hill training for that escarpment!  I should probably go out there and do it at least once before the race to see if I can even ride up the hill or will have to walk!

2010-05-28 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2889093

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
The swim is psychologically tough for some people - unlike you, most people have little open water experience and freak out a little when the safety of ceramic pool tiles is not within 5m of them.

Don't worry about the run - there will be quite a few walkers. Before each race I tell myself "Chances are you won't win the race, so its a quesiton of finishing so that you're happy with the effort you put it."
2010-06-13 8:34 PM

I agree with all the feedback. Don't worry about your times. Set a goal to finish and have fun.
One friendly word of advice is to do some hill climbing prior to this race.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Some Newbie Questions Rss Feed