General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cables for DA bar end shifters??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-15 7:27 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Cables for DA bar end shifters???
Had my front derailleur cable break on me at the shifter.  Never done any work like this before but willing to give it a try since the bike ('06 Felt S22) has external cable routing.

Are these the shift cables I need to order for DA bar end shifters?  These state STI and haven't found specific bar end shift cables.

"For best performance, Shimano recommends the use of their high-quality Dura-Ace cable sets for your Shimano-equipped road bike. These cables are designed to provide outstanding shifting and braking when paired with Shimano STI shift/brake levers.

The shifter cable set includes two 600mm housings, one 320mm housing, two 2000mm stainless cables, 4 ferrules, and two cable crimps. When used together, these components will create a well-sealed system that delivers crisp, reliable shifting."

2010-05-15 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2861007

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Cables for DA bar end shifters???
Are you looking to re-cable and replace the housing? If so, then that's abigger issue. You'll need to buy bulk housing, ferrules, cable donuts, and loose cables and make everything to length yourself. Also, if you have a large size frame and long aero-bars, you should look into a shift cable for a tandem to be sure it'll reach the rear derailleur. It's JUST short with my 58cm frame and long Easton aero bars and I need the tandem cable to make it work.

If you're just looking to fix 1 FD cable, then simply get a basic shift cable for >$3 from your LBS. Run a thin coating of Phil grease on the cable, insert through the housing and install per the front derailleur installation instructions from Shimano. Don't overthink it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cables for DA bar end shifters??? Rss Feed