General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting fitted for a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-09 6:09 PM

SoCal
Subject: Getting fitted for a bike
I'm ready to pull the trigger on my new bike purchase. I've ridden several bikes and haven't exactly settled on the bike I want to get. It's narrowed down to a Trek 1500, and Cannondale R500, and a Giant OCR. So... should I be fitted for the bike before I buy it or after? The salesman pretty much picked out bikes off the rack based on my height and had me ride them saying I'd be fitted for them after I decided what I wanted. That seems like a load to me. How do I know it's the right bike until after I buy it? Thoughts?

2004-04-09 6:37 PM
in reply to: #17601

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Getting fitted for a bike

There is a lot that goes into being fitted for a bike.  Most bike shops will let you find the bike you like and get the size frame that you need then they will fit you to that bike.  They don't want to go through a full fitting for each bike.  They will set you up close to what they think you need based on their experience and then they will let you decide on which bike you like the best. After you decide on a bike then they will go through the personal fitting for you.

As my body continues to change, we are constantly tweeking my bike.  The owner of my local bike shop just got back in from WI. where he attended a fitting school.  He was already good at fitting, but he is constantly educating himself.

Just make sure your bike knows what your intentions are with the bike. I would hope that if it is a reputable shop they want steer you wrong.

2004-04-09 11:00 PM
in reply to: #17601

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Getting fitted for a bike
It seems to be okay to get a bike and retrofit it for you. Unless you are ordering a custom made bike, there is no need to measure you beforehand. If the sales person knows what he/she is doing, you are simply handed a bike based on your inseam length. If the inseam is okay but the cockfit to narrow or too long then further fitting by way of a longer or shorter stem would be required. Of course, you cannot expect a bike shop to custom fit the bike before you buy it. What do they do with it if you decide not to buy it? When you do buy the bike, then the seat post is adjusted to your needs, a longer or shorter stem put in to afford you the best fitting cockpit, proper size handlebars, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting fitted for a bike Rss Feed