General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-ing on a budget Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-30 7:23 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: Tri-ing on a budget

I am cheap.

I love "stuff",  but despite my being blessed (and thankfull for it) to be financially quite comfortable, I'm a cheap bast****.

When I started this thing called "tri training" I thought it would break the bank, but I have found some great ways to get my gear on a shoestring.

VALUE VILLAGE! If you aren't familiar with them,, V.V. is a pre-owned clothing store (in addition to household goods and what-not). I just picked up another pair of tri shorts - Pearl Izumi 6 panel shorts, brand new with tags still on for $2.99 !

Last week I picked up 2 pr of cycling shorts - 1 pr Canondale and 1 pr L.G, both with natural chamois, one of them brand new with tags, for $3.99 each. I've also gotten 3 pr jammers, 2 cycling jerseys, 5 cool max/technical fabric shirts, 2 other cycling shorts, a cool max running hat and I've never paid more than $3 or $4 for any one piece, some as little as $0.99 

I've also picked up some great clothing at the Salvation Army thrift store locally.

It seems that the cycling and tri shorts just hang on the racks forever - people just must not know what these shorts are for - because every time I visit, about every two weeks, there are tons of cycling/tri/running gear on the racks.

You don't need to dig too deep to set yourself up nicely with several pieces of quality tri clothing.

2005-06-30 7:32 PM
in reply to: #187648

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: Tri-ing on a budget

I thought I'd also mention that I've found that a great resource for gear is your local or regional triathlon bulletin boards' classified listings.

At trisportcanada.com I found someone parting with a 2001 Ironman Elite wetsuit.

When he found out I was a complete rookie, he offered it to me for the equivalent of about $75 US, as he wanted to give a newbie a break. After a few emails, he offered to drive down the approx 750 miles so I could try it on and even take it for an OW swim to make sure I still wanted it.

Can you believe this guy?

I offered to just buy it sight unseen and told him I'd send payment by mail and he could ship it to me, and he replied that he was shipping it to me before I even had a chance to think about sending payment. He said that he could trust me, since the triathlon community is an honest,  trusting group.

So before you resort to ebay (yet another favourite source for gear) check out regional tri bulletin boards for someone who might be looking to give a newbie a break!

2005-06-30 8:29 PM

User image

Ontario
Looks like I'll have to pay a visit to value village!

Thanks for the tip!
2005-06-30 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
WOW, I was in our VV once and they darn sure didn't have any tri gear
2005-06-30 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
gyanwn - 2005-06-30 6:23 PM

I am cheap.

I love "stuff", but despite my being blessed (and thankfull for it) to be financially quite comfortable, I'm a cheap bast****.

We must have been separated at birth. I haven't paid retail for anything I use to race or train. With some of it you can tell (my tri bike is top of the line - circa 1990), but most of this stuff, who cares? My generic wetsuit works just as well as the gorgeous QR that cost 3x as much. I think what we need is something like a priceline.com for race fees so we can bid down to the minimum possible they'd accept to let us race.
2005-07-01 8:18 AM

Regular
Guelph, ON
Is there a VV in Chatham? Those deals sound amazing- I must investigate.

2005-07-01 8:45 AM
in reply to: #187732

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

CindyK - 2005-06-30 10:35 PM WOW, I was in our VV once and they darn sure didn't have any tri gear

Albeit, I don't see a ton of gear on every visit, but all the clothing I mentioned was purchased in the past 4-5 months at the same store. I should clarify, however, that I'm only looking at the small-medium sizes; theres alot more in the XL racks that I pass over.

On second thought, perhaps I should be scooping up all the sizes and posting them on the BT classified discussion board

2005-07-01 8:54 AM
in reply to: #187898

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

KKoole - 2005-07-01 9:18 AM Is there a VV in Chatham? Those deals sound amazing- I must investigate.

We've had one for about a year now - I figured most moderate sized cities would have one - there isn't one in Guelph? I've been to the ones in Windsor & London (I think there's two there now).

My wife has a first cousin who shops at all the Value Villages and runs an ebay store re-selling stuff, primarily clothing. He lookes for immaculate vintage and new designer clothing with the original retail tags still attached, buys them up for a few bucks each and makes a killing on Gucci, Yves, R.L., GAP, Tommy, etc. selling for up to 100X what he paid (he brags about the one London Fog trenchcoat circa 1950's, looked brand new, bought it for $5.00 and sold it for $599.00)

2005-07-01 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Prairie, Texas
Thanks for the tip, I've just logged on and found a store in Texas, but it is about 3 hours away. I'll keep this in mind on my next trip to Austin, but what a good deal you got going! I need to be more reserved with the dollars I have, but you have prompted a good thought for future spending.

Thanks,

2005-07-01 9:33 AM
in reply to: #187926

Regular
Guelph, ON
I think there is one in Guelph, but I've never thought of going there for tri stuff. I'll check it out. I'm in Chatham regularly, so I can do some comparison shopping!
2005-07-01 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
For cheap wetsuits, check out tri-bonzai on line. They always have a bunch of past year models for around $100, in perfect condition. I fact, I ordered mine from them online and they hadn't updated their website, so they sent me the 2005 suit, and still honored the closeout price for the '04!!!

2005-07-01 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I'm not going to guarantee that there will be tri-stuff there, but be sure to check out the women's section - the last two pairs of shorts I bought were the new Pearl Izumi tri shorts and an almost-new pair of cycling shorts with a natural chamois - the girl at the checkout asked me why I was buying these, "are these for your grandmother?" she asked. Pressing forward, and explaining to her what they were for, she admitted that the staff there thought they were some kind of old lady underwear or something for stress incontinence! LMAO!

Most of the shorts and singlets I've bought were erroneously in the ladies section, despite most of them actually being men's (okay, I'll admit I've bought two pairs of shorts that I think were women's, one cycling and one tri, but whose gonna know?)

If you guys can get over the odd stares of a dude flitting through the women's athletic wear and filling up their cart, then I strongly suggest you check out your local thrift/seconhand/consignment shops.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-ing on a budget Rss Feed