Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2863056

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Cops ticketing bikers
running2far - 2010-05-17 10:57 AM You should be carrying: Drivers ID, Insurance Card, ATM card/cash. ALWAYS

Nope.  I have a wrist Road ID with my husband's and parents' phone numbers on it.  I'm not carrying my driver's license, ATM, or insurance card...too much chance I'll lose them.  I do usually carry about $5.

2010-05-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2863149

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
mattb1 - 2010-05-17 11:25 AM
cornfed - 2010-05-17 10:06 AM
running2far - 2010-05-17 10:57 AM You should be carrying: Drivers ID, Insurance Card, ATM card/cash. ALWAYS

Why?  Because it's good practice or it's required?  I don't believe there is any requirement to have ID or insurance while riding a bike.

So that your next of kin can be notified.  I always carry my drivers ID so the cops can call my wife if something happens to me, as well as cash in case I break down\need food, etc... 

Plus in Chicago if you get caught riding on the sidewalk over the age of 12 they can ticket you and hold you for 24 hours if you don't have any ID (any time you get stopped in Chicago with no ID you can be help for 24 hours).  This happens a lot as they use this law to grab gang bangers riding bikes. 

Except that none of those things will have contact information for your next of kin, or designee.  I used to use RoadID, but switched over to dog tags that I wear all the time except when swimming - then I switch back to the wrist RoadID. It has my name, DOB, brief medical info, and ICE name and phone number.  I figure there is no reason that I would not find myself unconscious at any time for any reason (medical or accident) and someone would need to contact my wife.  Who can provide any insurance data.

I generally do not carry anything else when I go for a run from my home, or a short bike ride if mrs gearboy is at the house.  If I get stopped by cops who demand ID, they can read my dogtags, they can follow me home, or they can take me to my house to get my ID.  It is quite possible I do not own a drivers license, or have insurance, or use a bank.  Unlikely, but possible.  People do live off the grid, especially here in Amish country. As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to own or carry ID for citizens. 
2010-05-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2862988

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Lilac J - 2010-05-17 9:39 AM In Piermont in particular, they are VERY stingy on enforcing the rules.  In that town, single file riding is required, as is coming to full stop (foot down) at any stop sign or light.  Follow this or you will eventually pay the price.

If you ride enough in Piermont/Nyack on a summer weekend, you know what the mobs of cyclists are like.  I fully support their rules and enforcement- cyclists riding 3 abreast and taking up the entire road around the bakeries is just unacceptable.  Local people complain a lot about us riders so we have to play by their rules or else.  It's still a mob scene, in my opinion.

I agree.  Don't get between me and my bagel with nova, or else!
2010-05-17 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2862943

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
While I am not a fan of roadblocks of any kind, if an officer observes a violation it is in everyones best interest for him to warn or ticket. If a cyclist is not wearing a helmet or have the proper lighting or reflective gear it could save the person's life for these things to be corrected. If the law calls for single file rideing and people are riding two or three across impeding normal traffic than that hurts us all as it just angers drivers towards cyclists.
2010-05-17 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2862993

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Specific to the OP's situation, here is the bike policy in Piermont:

Bicycling in New Jersey is regulated under Title 39 of the Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation laws:

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/regulations.shtm

Piermont
, NY:  Local Ordinance for "Bicycling and Skating on Public Streets"

190-43  Bicycling and skating on public streets.   [Added 10-21-1997by L.L. No. 5-1997]

Notwithstanding the provisions of Subdivision (b) of § 1234 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York, persons riding bicycles or skating or gliding on in-line skates upon any public street within the Village of Piermont shall not ride more than one abreast and shall ride, skate or glide near the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway or upon a usable right-hand shoulder in such a manner as to prevent undue interference with the flow of traffic except when preparing for a left-hand turn or when necessary to avoid conditions that would make it unsafe to continue along near the right-hand curb or edge. This section shall supersede any provision of the Vehicle and Traffic Law that is inconsistent herewith. All other provisions of such law shall remain in full force and effect.

EDIT: copied from recent email from the New York Cycle Club.  I'm not a lawyer or expert on the laws of Piermont.

Edited by Lilac J 2010-05-17 12:07 PM
2010-05-17 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
While I'm fine with getting a ticket on a bike just like in a car, I'm disturbed by how many seem perfectly fine with targeting cyclists as opposed to normal traffic patrol. It seems many would love to live in a police state. I do rolling stops at stopsigns in my car and on my bike. At least on my bike my foot touches the ground, but I'm under no allusions that what I'm doing is legal. Just like when we drive 5 over, it's not legal. Someone with authority has decided to prioritize enforcement of cycling laws, not for our safety, but to discourage us from cycling.

Now in this case the law is the law and you should obey it (or being willing to accept the consequences based on your risk of being caught) and try to change it. Passing 12 single file cyclists is harder on a narrow road than passing a double paceline of 12 riders. On a narrow road the other lane has to be clear either way, passing a single file line means it has to be clear farther down the road. Now I would be fully in support of a town upgrading to wide outer lanes on all streets and then requiring single file. This would allow same lane passing.

I'm also shocked how many just blindly accept that we all have to carry ID everywhere.

2010-05-17 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I always find the wording of cycling laws interesting. In variations I have seen -

"as near to the right as is safe", "as far right as is possible", "as close the right as possible unless conditions are unsafe" and several others. I wonder if anyone has even gotten a ticket for not riding far enough to the right though? It could be very hard for an officer to prove you were not riding where you thought was safest as that is completely subjective. Was there debris in the curb lane? danger from a door zone? was the should pitted with potholes? Or maybe just riding next to the curb makes you less visible which is unsafe so you ride out farther in the lane even if the curb is clear of debris? I would be interested in seeing how these laws are ever prosecuted/ticketed?
2010-05-17 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2863374

User image

Master
Chicago
gearboy - 2010-05-17 11:25 AM
mattb1 - 2010-05-17 11:25 AM
cornfed - 2010-05-17 10:06 AM

Why?  Because it's good practice or it's required?  I don't believe there is any requirement to have ID or insurance while riding a bike.

So that your next of kin can be notified.  I always carry my drivers ID so the cops can call my wife if something happens to me, as well as cash in case I break down\need food, etc... 

Plus in Chicago if you get caught riding on the sidewalk over the age of 12 they can ticket you and hold you for 24 hours if you don't have any ID (any time you get stopped in Chicago with no ID you can be help for 24 hours).  This happens a lot as they use this law to grab gang bangers riding bikes. 

Except that none of those things will have contact information for your next of kin, or designee.  I used to use RoadID, but switched over to dog tags that I wear all the time except when swimming - then I switch back to the wrist RoadID. It has my name, DOB, brief medical info, and ICE name and phone number.  I figure there is no reason that I would not find myself unconscious at any time for any reason (medical or accident) and someone would need to contact my wife.  Who can provide any insurance data.

I generally do not carry anything else when I go for a run from my home, or a short bike ride if mrs gearboy is at the house.  If I get stopped by cops who demand ID, they can read my dogtags, they can follow me home, or they can take me to my house to get my ID.  It is quite possible I do not own a drivers license, or have insurance, or use a bank.  Unlikely, but possible.  People do live off the grid, especially here in Amish country. As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to own or carry ID for citizens. 

NM

Edited by mattb1 2010-05-17 1:13 PM
2010-05-17 12:54 PM

User image

over a barrier
The take away here is you can be identified, pay for food or emerg service, and get medical attention. How you do that is up to you. What is point in splitting hairs on the type of id.
2010-05-17 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2863266

User image

Veteran
a_l_existence - 2010-05-17 8:53 AM

Question then,
if you get to a red light, and the light does not turn green after 2 or 3 revolutions, what should you do?  The lights here are mostly based on a magnetic device that will not pick up a bicycle.

If you can see in all directions, then proceed when you're sure it's safe.

If you can see all directions, then you can also conveniently know that there aren't any cops present so the legality of it becomes something less of an issue.

If visibility is obscured, then simply move to crosswalk.

2 cents.
2010-05-17 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2863657

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

While this is common sense, I'd recommend checking your local laws if you're concerned.

I know from riding my moped (which follows some motorized vehicle rules, some bicycle rules) that the tricky situation of being caught at a sensor light is a lose-lose. If you ultimately go through the light, after determining there are no other possibilities, you CAN still get a ticket.  There's no provision for this.  I am sure you could fight the ticket, but that's how it is where I am anyway.   

If there's really no one around, you can go through the light and no big deal.

If there are people around, I move as far forward as possible and beg drivers to pull up behind me to trigger it.

You could also get off your bike and cross like a pedestrian.  This is fool-proof.

mrcurtain - 2010-05-17 1:00 PM
a_l_existence - 2010-05-17 8:53 AM

Question then,
if you get to a red light, and the light does not turn green after 2 or 3 revolutions, what should you do?  The lights here are mostly based on a magnetic device that will not pick up a bicycle.

If you can see in all directions, then proceed when you're sure it's safe.

If you can see all directions, then you can also conveniently know that there aren't any cops present so the legality of it becomes something less of an issue.

If visibility is obscured, then simply move to crosswalk.

2 cents.

2010-05-17 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2863720

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

A big thing cops look for around here is stopping, indicated by actually putting a foot down.  I always do this when I see a copy anywhere near by, even if they don't appear to have set up a trap.

2010-05-17 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2863725

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
BikerGrrrl - 2010-05-17 12:26 PM

A big thing cops look for around here is stopping, indicated by actually putting a foot down.  I always do this when I see a copy anywhere near by, even if they don't appear to have set up a trap.

I have a problem with having to actually put my foot down. I can stop and balance on my bike for longer then most cars stop, when they do stop. Its a pain to snap out and put my foot down, then snap back in. I understand they have made some changes here. You don't have to stop if its clear. Slow down and make sure its clear before proceeding. While this is great for bikers not having to stop, it isn't going to help the relations between bikers and drivers. 
2010-05-17 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2863793

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Yeah... I personally am a "rule follower" and stop behind stop signs, too   I prefer to read these things more black and white, since "everyone was doing it" isn't a good defense in court.

The foot down move is another local thing perhaps.  That's how a person on two wheels indicates they have fully stopped.   But, I'm pretty sure we are all governed by local (city) ordinances for the rules that apply to us, so this might not be necessary for all. 

pdbman - 2010-05-17 1:53 PM
BikerGrrrl - 2010-05-17 12:26 PM

I have a problem with having to actually put my foot down. I can stop and balance on my bike for longer then most cars stop, when they do stop. Its a pain to snap out and put my foot down, then snap back in. I understand they have made some changes here. You don't have to stop if its clear. Slow down and make sure its clear before proceeding. While this is great for bikers not having to stop, it isn't going to help the relations between bikers and drivers. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-05-17 2:02 PM
2010-05-17 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2863809

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I was just reading the Minnesota Statute about bike laws and thought this was funny:

Subd. 3.Clinging to vehicle.

Persons riding upon any bicycle, coaster, roller skates, toboggan, sled, skateboard, or toy vehicle shall not attach the same or themselves to any street car or vehicle upon a roadway.

Only in Minnesota!

2010-05-17 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2863813

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
BikerGrrrl - 2010-05-17 1:04 PM

I was just reading the Minnesota Statute about bike laws and thought this was funny:

Subd. 3.Clinging to vehicle.

Persons riding upon any bicycle, coaster, roller skates, toboggan, sled, skateboard, or toy vehicle shall not attach the same or themselves to any street car or vehicle upon a roadway.

Only in Minnesota!

As I understand it, there is a law here in Utah that makes it illegal to tow behind a plane on a tricycle. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cops ticketing bikers Rss Feed  

of 2