General Discussion Triathlon Talk » base training + high intense Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-17 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: base training + high intense
I am trying to do base training for running and was not sure if I can do any high intense training with swimming or biking. Plus can  I do one running day with high intense training or can I add a little in at the end of the workout. Any help whould be useful since it is hard to train at that base. Running around 12 min miles, 6 miles at a time. Only in 2nd week of base.  

2010-05-18 12:31 AM
in reply to: #2864783

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: RE: base training + high intense
I see you have logs from the last 2 months.... How long have you been hanging around those weekly mileages?  Strong running background?

Edited by zionvier 2010-05-18 12:34 AM
2010-05-18 6:04 AM

User image

Runner
If the question is whether it is ok to add in variations in effort level during base training, the answer is yes.
2010-05-18 10:46 PM

User image

Regular

I have been around those numbers for about 4 months. Most was on treadmill. I come from a swimming backround. The question is if I can mix it up and still get the benifits of base training. So should I do intense training on the same day or do one day a week of full sprinting??? Thank You

2010-05-19 6:38 AM
in reply to: #2867379

User image

Runner
deadman - 2010-05-18 11:46 PM

I have been around those numbers for about 4 months. Most was on treadmill. I come from a swimming backround. The question is if I can mix it up and still get the benifits of base training. So should I do intense training on the same day or do one day a week of full sprinting??? Thank You

No.

Here's what you do (at least for running...):

You run most of your workouts at an easy effort level. One workout a week you run at a moderate effort level. Some people call this a "tempo run".

When I say easy, I don't mean a stroll around the block. I mean an effort that doesn't leave you wiped out, that leaves you feeling ready to roll out and do the exact same workout right away.

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Sprints are saved for closer to your actual race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » base training + high intense Rss Feed