General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me do proper squats with restricted flex Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-19 10:19 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Help me do proper squats with restricted flex
I've received advice from numerous sources that I should be doing squats as part of my strength routines.  Never having done them before I did a bit of research into them and tried them out, and discovered something - I can squat down on my right leg a reasonable distance/angle, but my left barely goes down at all.

It appears that I have very limited flexibility between my knee and my ankle.  I'm quite able to do full bending of my hip and knee joints, so it's something to do with my calf/achillies/ankle.

I have been running for quite some time ( a couple of years on and off, up to 100km/month) and am back up to doing regular 6 to 10km runs 3-4 times a week.  I also do a bit of cycling (50km each Sunday).

I remember that as a boy, I was unable to squat down while on my ice skates even though the rest of the hockey team had no problem.  I simply couldn't lean forward enough to keep my balance while still keeping my heels on the ice - I'd end up on the points of my skates.  The only way I could do it was to have my feet/skates pointing outwards, which ain't no good for hockey!  So clearly I've had limited flexibility for years.

I also seem to have feet that point outwards when my knees are pointing straight ahead.  So I probably run on the instep a bit as this is where I tend to get blisters/calluses.  However, I don't have fallen arches so I don't think it's too extreme.

When I try to do squats with my feet pointing forward, I barely go down at all.  If I do them one foot at a time, I can go down approximately twice as far on my right compared to my left.  If I allow my feet to point their natural direction (about 22 degrees from straight forward), I can squat down futher still on both.  Pretty far, actually.

So I guess the limitation is most evident if I have my left foot pointing straight ahead.

So there's a number of questions:
- should I try to ensure my feet are pointing straight ahead while squatting to reinforce correct stretching of my lower leg muscles, tendons, etc., as well as develop a corrected foot direction for things like running?

- is there any exercises that I can do to improve the flexibility of my (lower) left leg, remembering that it's been that way for at least 30 years?

Or can I ignore it, do pidgeon-toed squats with weights, and not try to limber up my left leg to be similar to my right?

2010-05-19 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2869940

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Help me do proper squats with restricted flex
First, I like your signature - A thriving chunk of testosterone with a dash of bow-tie charm. Hilarious!

Okay, proper squats. First, I don't know where the notion came that one should squat with feet close together and pointing forward, but that is NOT how we are meant to squat. As you squat down, your upper body has to go somewhere. Where is it going to go if your feet are close together pointing straight ahead? This is where knee problems start. In order to make room for your body, your legs try to spread apart. The knee joint, however, is only a hinge joint designed to move forward and back, not sideways. Fortunately, your hip contains a nice ball and socket joint that CAN move in many directions. So, the short answer to your question is to angle your feet out. If you're severely pigeon toed, then your feet may end up pointing darn near out to the side. That's fine - that's just your unique body type. The general rule of thumb is to take about a hip width stance and angle your feet out just shy of 45 degrees, but this is just a guideline for starters. You'll need to experiment with stance width and foot angle until you find something comfortable.

This is a good video that argues that squatting is a natural position for humans. This guy is loud and his discussion about using the toilet may involve too much information, but he is actually correct. In Asian countries, people sit in the low squat position all the time. Notice how Elliott's feet are pointed outward, quite a bit actually, and his body goes between his legs. This is the correct way to squat and is a natural position for humans.

http://www.hulsestrength.com/should-you-squat

2010-05-20 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2869940

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me do proper squats with restricted flex Rss Feed