General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-10 5:59 PM

New user

Tampa
Subject: Cramping.
I am new to triathlons and have been training since last November. I am finally starting to increase my workouts but I am starting to experience leg cramps in both my quads and hamstrings. There are an overwhelming amount of "sports/recovery" nutrients on the market but I have no idea which ones are effective and which are not. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2004-04-10 6:10 PM
in reply to: #17705

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Cramping.
Hey there! Are you cramping at night or during the day (like around workout time)? Cramps can be lack of electrolytes (potassium), or can be a need for calcium/magnesium. Or can be that you need to stretch more - after your workout.

As far as sports drinks (for during the workout) - it needs sodium - and that's more for longer workouts anyway. Recovery drinks need carbs and maybe protein (if you aren't getting protein from another source after working out). There is a lot of stuff out there - certainly confusing. And there seems to be new research frequently that changes the recommendations!

Good luck and I hope this is helpful!
2004-04-10 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
My old coach once told me a bannana a day keeps the cramps away, that and 8 glasses of water and a little salt. As for sports drinks, I use the tried and true gatorade most of the time. Try a few things and make sure that it agrees with your stomach. The one additional thing that I have been doing better this year is stretching, before and after the workouts. my legs feel so much better now for it.
2004-04-10 10:24 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
I use Accelerade on a lot of days.  I recommend the orange flavor!
2004-04-10 10:43 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
I'm prone to severe night time leg cramps. A nasty way to wake up. On workout days I take a RDA dose of calcium, magesium, and zinc just before bed. It works for me.
2004-04-11 2:13 AM

More suggestions: Make sure you're well hydrated. Try electrolyte tablets available at health food stores. With a doctor's prescription, can try quinine tablets, which are often used for night time leg cramping, but I tried it after getting late race cramps during marathons. It really worked for me the one time I used it, whether that's a coincidence or not, who knows? It can give you diarrhea, so try it out during training workouts, not just on race day.

2004-04-11 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I used to get leg cramps during the night when I was much younger. Now that I am exercising again, my legs feel very uncomfortable. I usually wake several times a night before my legs cramp though. This tends to leave me exhausted in the AM. What is causing the leg cramps during sleep?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping. Rss Feed