General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Breaking In" Brand New Tires Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-21 4:46 PM

User image

Subject: "Breaking In" Brand New Tires

Did a search and a google and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

Just bought some brand new Conti GP4000's and slapped them on today for my race tomorrow.  I couldn't help but wonder if the Crr is lower due to the mohawk of rubber running down the center of the tire?  I just took the bike for a quick 30 minute test ride (also changed from a 12-25 to a 12-27 casette) and I sware the bike feels slower.  I fell it's most noticeable when I stop pedalling for a second or two and my speed drops almost 1 MPH immediately.  I put the bike on a stand and spun the tire and it spins forever, so it's definitely not rubbing.  Perhaps it's in my head? 

Does anyone have any data or read about a break-in period for brand new tires?  Is the rubber mohawk gonna cost me time tomorrow and perhaps I should throw my old well-broken in tires back on?

Thanks

Edited by Dream Chaser 2010-05-21 4:47 PM

2010-05-21 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2874915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: RE: "Breaking In" Brand New Tires
The guy that does the CRR testing for tires notes that he shaved the middle ridge off the GP 4000s before testing.

I just let mine wear off due to mileage. I didn't notice that it was any slower with the ridge there, but it did rub against my frame on the back, so I had to adjust the drop outs to give a bit more clearance.
2010-05-21 5:38 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Dream Chaser - 2010-05-21 3:46 PM

Did a search and a google and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

Just bought some brand new Conti GP4000's and slapped them on today for my race tomorrow.  I couldn't help but wonder if the Crr is lower due to the mohawk of rubber running down the center of the tire?  I just took the bike for a quick 30 minute test ride (also changed from a 12-25 to a 12-27 casette) and I sware the bike feels slower.  I fell it's most noticeable when I stop pedalling for a second or two and my speed drops almost 1 MPH immediately.  I put the bike on a stand and spun the tire and it spins forever, so it's definitely not rubbing.  Perhaps it's in my head? 

Does anyone have any data or read about a break-in period for brand new tires?  Is the rubber mohawk gonna cost me time tomorrow and perhaps I should throw my old well-broken in tires back on?

Thanks

Huh, never considered but that could be the case. Tires do wear flat in the middle of the contact patch, although I don't know if it would be enough to actually notice. If it bugs you and your old tires aren't too bad, put them back on for the race and switch them out next week.
2010-05-21 7:24 PM

User image

As suggested, I backed the tire off a little bit (I have a Cervelo P2),  Thanks.

Since the course I am doing tomorrow is A LOT of up and down climbing (top guys barely break 20mph) I'm gonna just stick with them.  If it were a flat, TT Type course -- no question I'd change them up as the rubber line smack dab in the middle of the contact patch is pretty pronounced. 

I hate how crazy I get the night before a Race.

Oh, and Fred PennState confirmed that he used brand spankin' new tires at LP.  That's good enough for me!

2010-05-21 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Never change stuff out RIGHT before a race.

If a tire is EXECATLY the same and the manufacturer didn’t change the TPI of the tire it should feel the same.  I know they do so and still keep the same name.  Higher TPI has a lower rolling resistance which means a faster tire.

This is the latest test data by Al Morrison  
http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

I personal will put at least a 100 miles on a pair before a race.  I also HIGHLY doubt you can notice the model line in rolling resistance. 

Good article to read on Rolling Resistance
http://www.rouesartisanales.over-blog.com/article-1503651-6.html

Edited by tasr 2010-05-21 7:25 PM
2010-05-23 8:56 PM

User image

I used my wife's fuzz shaver to shave the center of my new Conti GP 4000s.  They were rubbing the bottom of the brake caliper and was driving me crazy.  Never though about rolling resistance.  Didn't seem to bother the fuzz shaver but you should ask permission first...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Breaking In" Brand New Tires Rss Feed