General Discussion Triathlon Talk » World Fit....Olympians for Worldwide Fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-22 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: World Fit....Olympians for Worldwide Fitness
I am very proud of a program I started 4 years ago called World Fit. You will read about it in USA Today on Monday. We are asking Olympians and Paralympians to adopt a Middle School for life, go in on the Monday after Spring break and give an inspirational message to the students about the importance of staying fit for life. The students then walk daily on campus for six straight weeks with teachers, parents, friends and log their miles. Those that are already in sports get credited for miles by the hour of sports activity. All the logging in is done by website at www.worldfit.org.

This year, in our pilot program, we had 18 Middle Schools in 6 states. Over 7,000 students registered and logged in 767,149 miles!. Students are rewarded with beautiful certificates (for reaching 60 miles) and medals for the top  25 finishers.

Next year we are planning on expanding the program to 200 schools across America. The key to making the program work well is by having a volunteer World Fit Community Leader who engages the schools and coordinates the Olympian. We bring the Olympians ( I am VP of United States Olympians). We need the community leaders.

If you are interested in becoming a World Fit Leader for your community and joining the Olympians fight against childhood obesity, let me know. My email is all over the website. We need passionate people who believe in fitness. I believe you all qualify! 

Regards,

Gary Hall Sr. 

2010-05-22 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2875996

User image

Regular
Odessa
Subject: RE: World Fit....Olympians for Worldwide Fitness
I am a junior high teacher, and might be interested in doing something like this.  I don't think we have any Olympians that live anywhere close.  Would we still be able to do anything.  FYI, I live in Odessa TX.
2010-05-23 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2876172

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: World Fit....Olympians for Worldwide Fitness
You might be surprised. There are Olympians all over the place. We know where all of them live. Look for registration for World Fit 2011 to occur in the Fall. It is a great program. Thanks for your interest. 

Gary 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » World Fit....Olympians for Worldwide Fitness Rss Feed